Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Two new kills for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Two new kills for me

I raced a c5 vette the other night. We went three times from a dig, each time I beat him by about 3 car lengths.

and last night, I raced an 03-ish cobra. It had the plastic on the back bottom bumper, and the post-03 hood, so it was the supercharged version. We went from a 40~ roll, and I slowly pulled away from him, when we got to about 80, I had about 3/4 to 1 car length on him.

We went from a dig and I got him off the line by about 3 car lengths, then the gap just got bigger. By the time I hit 100, he was about 4-5 car lengths behind me.

I think I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:36 PM

You must have sprayed to put that much distance on a Cobra???

If not??! Damn, you've got a fine working LT1!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Actually no, there was no spraying on either one.... the bottle came out of my car when I switched to the delteq, for now.

I'm pretty sure the cobra had a crappy driver, but a win's a win, right?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 AM

the c5 i raced was a stick. Like I said... both were crappy drivers. The guy in the vette kept traction control on, until I heard it kick in and yelled at him to turn it off at the next light.

the cobra guy didn't even pull over to chat... he did a ricer fly by and left...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM

By "here it kick in" i mean after the launch I could hear the throttle let off after the tires started breaking loose, since the only thing I hear is his tires screaching and his exhaust, because I had my cutout closed and I didn't spin my tires.

Same thing when he turned it off.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM

Unbelievable nice driving.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Ummmmmmm...... I call bull**** on the cobra. That car runs 12s all day. You my friend do not appear to have enough mods at least listed in your signature to be in that range. A LS1 might have done that but the LT1 would win only if by "racing" you meant he was at the drive through and you blew by him and by "fly by" you meant he actually got his order and then hit the gas to catch up to you.

I hate having to doubt people but unless they detuned the hell out of all the mustangs and vettes where all the kills are listed in this forum I seriously have to believe your calling a ricer win along with most others.

e.g. I raced a older supra about 3 months ago from a stop, and from a roll and annihilated him by about 4 cars every time. Yet now I find out he is telling people he was way ahead and I couldnt catch up. I confronted him about it and offered to race him for cash yet he rufuses.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM

A car is only as fast as the driver makes it. A crappy driver can make the fastest car slow. i.e. there was a 2006 zo6 at the local track a couple of weeks ago, and his best run was a 9.6. He just bought the car, and didn't know how to drive it, and spun the tires the whole way down the track. A friend of mine has a 01 SS and his best run at the 1/8 was a 9.2. If I drive his car, I can get it to run a 8.6 though. Driving skills should never be over looked. Am I saying my car is faster than the 03 cobra's? no, read my above post more closely. Stock they run 13.0 flat. and if you look at my sig, my car runs a ~13.2. Nonetheless, I beat one.

but a stock corvette or an ls1 f-body don't stand chances You should read more carefully

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro
Ummmmmmm...... I call bull**** on the cobra. That car runs 12s all day. You my friend do not appear to have enough mods at least listed in your signature to be in that range. A LS1 might have done that but the LT1 would win only if by "racing" you meant he was at the drive through and you blew by him and by "fly by" you meant he actually got his order and then hit the gas to catch up to you.

I hate having to doubt people but unless they detuned the hell out of all the mustangs and vettes where all the kills are listed in this forum I seriously have to believe your calling a ricer win along with most others.

e.g. I raced a older supra about 3 months ago from a stop, and from a roll and annihilated him by about 4 cars every time. Yet now I find out he is telling people he was way ahead and I couldnt catch up. I confronted him about it and offered to race him for cash yet he rufuses.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM

danhr, assuming you're a good driver, assuming you have good tires (possibly running DR's?) and seeing as you've got a 9" out back, I'm also "assuming" that you would launch your car pretty hard off the line, with no fear of breaking anything??

Considering "most" people don't drive their cars that hard, then a good working, modded LT1, being driven to its MAX potential could easily lay a beating to an LS1 (or dare we say, a Cobra?) off the line if they're being babied a little more by their driver .

I don't wave BS flags unless things seem way out of line.

I've seen a C5 Z06 (we all know, low 12 / high 11 second car) run a 13.2. And my Z28 has run 13.0. Apparently the Z06 had a bad run ... that stuff happens.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 AM

Wow... I never expected to get this much hate on that race. I guess I should start bringing a digital camera with me to take pictures. I said I beat a cobra, which stock is only a couple of tenths faster then my car. I said it appeared he wasn't a very good driver. But yet you people call bs? I'm not even arguing this anymore, because I don't think I can break it down any more. I'll try to find the guy again, and take pictures.... because reading obviously isn't anyone's forte around here.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 AM

C'mon guys, give this kid a break, he's a real good driver!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Good kills... I don't get all the BS waving. They were runs on the street, and who knows what happened with the other cars. Look at danr's 1/8 mile times, they seem pretty darn good.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Pete you missed the part about the cobra then, it was from a ROLL first, then from a dig but to 100. The cobra would not have lost by 3-4 cars its just impossible even with a crappy driver as long as he was full throttle he would have been getting realed in and fast. The difference in power and power bands between the two is too great to allow only for crappy driver error.

Now if the person had a regular GT modded or a 99-01 cobra minor mods with just the body kits I could believe it.

Seriously we Camaro and Mustang guys tend to just leave the Cobras to the big boys(unless the LS1 is modded as they are gods gift ). Both sides of the camp tend not even to class it with our muscle cars. It has been since it came out vette territory.

As for the 9" comment anyone who races knows you have even more parasitic loss because of the added weight. Sure you can launch harder without worry but you are carrying a lot more weight.

I dont mean to **** on your parade as we all have had runs with really fast cars and won some and lost some but to be able to actually beat the cobra especially from the roll the mods you have are not enough. And you are using a pretty ****ty time for a cobra, they are 12 second cars, 13 sure at higher elevation but on most days they will be in the 12s. With your run being on MT and draglites your car is not streeting a 13.2, I cant stand people saying I ran this time when I took all the body panels off my car, drove the car remotely and had God himself grace the track that day with perfect weather and now all of a sudden the car can do the same thing in the rain at 12k feet elevation in reverse with square tires.

The only mods you have for power are your damn exhaust components! Everything else is suspension or show. And Im sorry to say but unless the nice folks who make these components have figured a way to make you an extra 150rwhp with it you are mistaken in your racing.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM

my 8.5 was at full weight, no body panels, or even the spare tire was taken out. i spun a little too much off the line, I might be able to get a 8.4 out of it. And I'm pretty sure a 8.5 comes out to roughly a 13.2 1/4 mile time. I may be mistaken though, but everyone I talk to, and everywhere I check, it's the same. And the track I go to is fairly crappy, I actually stick better on the street than on the track. Anyone who lives in Clarksville, TN knows what I'm talking about.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 PM

I had a messed up Throttle cable one time that wouldn't give me more than about 70% throttle. Imagin racing with less than 3/4's throttle. I discovered it later datalogging with the laptop. I could have been beaten by almost anyone that week. Yes, **** does happen.

Last edited by rickreeves1; 01-19-2007 at 02:03 PM.