Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Super Charged 98' Cobra against Civic with a lil' Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:35 PM

Re: Super Charged 98' Cobra against Civic with a lil' Turbo.

I don't see where all this hype is coming from- Ah man, you can just go buy a Civic, put a cheap turbo on there and run so dang fast! Oh my sh*t man, they're so bad, so bad. That's the coolest thing ever man.......

All I can say about that is whatever. We have a local guy here, has a 92 hatchback, motor swap and a turbo. He just ran a new best of 11.84, which is good, but his mph was only 115. That's a "gift from god JDM Vtec motor swap" and 10 lbs. of boost. Where is the monster trap speed guys? We put a bottle on my buddies 01 SS and it trapped 118. Again, where's the hype? I should also add that the Civic ran with the passenger seat out, and the bottom of the rear seat removed.

I remember a few years ago, we had some turbo'd Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and Nissan's drive to our local hangout from Indiana. Somehow, a race got set up between a nitrous'd C5 automatic that was otherwise stock, and a fully built turbo'd Integra. When I say built, I mean everything, from suspension to motor, and everywhere in between. The Integra won, they started at 55 because he refused to go from a stop ( ) The Integra got owned all the way until like 120 or so before he could finally get past the Vette. Kinda sucks that it takes a built honda from two states away, AND takes him until well over 100 to finally pull a stock AUTOMATIC Vette with a bottle.

So in closing, sure you can make a Civic fast, I have no problem with that. Just don't expect any respect from me just because you started out with a stupid platform.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Banned

however.. there are civics that can pull on blown v8's cars with 3 passengers inside.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:21 PM

Yup, and my buddy had a 96 Cobra Convertable with a built 4.6, ATI procharger, front mount, viper spec T56 trans, 4.11 gears and bunch of other goodies. It would have smoked the f*ck out of the Civic in question from any speed......... With the top down
Old 07-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
Yup, and my buddy had a 96 Cobra Convertable with a built 4.6, ATI procharger, front mount, viper spec T56 trans, 4.11 gears and bunch of other goodies. It would have smoked the f*ck out of the Civic in question from any speed......... With the top down
probably not.. last superchatged cobra that civic ran it put a hurting on it with 3 people inside..how about your car?

Last edited by RawAzzLT1; 07-30-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
it needs 27psi? how do you figure that? and 350whp is like 350whp on an lt1 with heads and cam. if properly maintained it will last as long as you want to.
The strongest stock Civic motor puts out 160 flywheel hp. So it probably puts out 125 whp? You need to add 14.7 psi of intercooled turbo boost to double the power of any engine (assuming enough fuel and a big enough turbo). So it would take about 27 psi to make 350 whp on a 125 whp motor. We were assuming a stock Civic motor, because the poster didn't know for sure. But are the rods, pistons, crank, etc. in the 125 whp Civic motor designed to take the stress of 350 whp for 100,000 miles of thrashing like the Chevy motor?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:02 PM

I don't see where all this hype is coming from- Ah man, you can just go buy a Civic, put a cheap turbo on there and run so dang fast! Oh my sh*t man, they're so bad, so bad. That's the coolest thing ever man.......

All I can say about that is whatever. We have a local guy here, has a 92 hatchback, motor swap and a turbo. He just ran a new best of 11.84, which is good, but his mph was only 115. That's a "gift from god JDM Vtec motor swap" and 10 lbs. of boost. Where is the monster trap speed guys? We put a bottle on my buddies 01 SS and it trapped 118. Again, where's the hype? I should also add that the Civic ran with the passenger seat out, and the bottom of the rear seat removed.

I remember a few years ago, we had some turbo'd Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and Nissan's drive to our local hangout from Indiana. Somehow, a race got set up between a nitrous'd C5 automatic that was otherwise stock, and a fully built turbo'd Integra. When I say built, I mean everything, from suspension to motor, and everywhere in between. The Integra won, they started at 55 because he refused to go from a stop ( ) The Integra got owned all the way until like 120 or so before he could finally get past the Vette. Kinda sucks that it takes a built honda from two states away, AND takes him until well over 100 to finally pull a stock AUTOMATIC Vette with a bottle.

So in closing, sure you can make a Civic fast, I have no problem with that. Just don't expect any respect from me just because you started out with a stupid platform.
It sure is nice to see somebody else on the same wavelength as me! No replacement for displacement!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by RawAzzLT1
however.. there are civics that can pull on blown v8's cars with 3 passengers inside.
There are n/a Stangs that can rape fully built turboed Civics, too. Maybe the Stang wasn't tuned well, or the Civic had a better power to weight ratio. Who knows. Either way props to the Civic.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Y
The strongest stock Civic motor puts out 160 flywheel hp. So it probably puts out 125 whp? You need to add 14.7 psi of intercooled turbo boost to double the power of any engine (assuming enough fuel and a big enough turbo). So it would take about 27 psi to make 350 whp on a 125 whp motor. We were assuming a stock Civic motor, because the poster didn't know for sure. But are the rods, pistons, crank, etc. in the 125 whp Civic motor designed to take the stress of 350 whp for 100,000 miles of thrashing like the Chevy motor?

even if what you wer esaying was true your math is horrible. first of all the civic type R comes with 185hp. the 160 hp is from the si which is 149whp. fwd has less drivetrain loss that rwd. it has less moving parts. secondly. it takes about 13psi tp make 350whp on a b16 from a mediom sized turbo. I have never seen a b16 with 27psi with less that 550 to the wheels. you just making things up now. show me proof that it takes 27psi to hit 350whp, Im calling bs on you. I am telling you that kinda boost pressure will make over 550whp and I can back it up. show me proof. I can back up what I say can you?

Last edited by RawAzzLT1; 07-30-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:27 PM

probably not.. last superchatged cobra that civic ran it put a hurting on it with 3 people inside..how about your car?
Actually yes, buddy...... Fully forged bottom end 4.6 DOHC motor, 8.5:1 compression, ATI D1-SC procharger (the big one!) with upgraded custom front mount. Kook's stepped 1 7/8" headers. MSD ignition. Fully tuned using an twEECer (I think that's what it's called). Basically, it would blow the tires off at 65 on pump gas. It's quite a bit faster than the Mustang we are talking about here, hence, it would take the Civic in question here to "walkedville". Since you know so much about boost, I guess I'll just tell you that the Cobra was running around 20 psi, you do the math on how fast it is.

As for my car, it'll be just fine. It's got a blown headgasket right now, but will be back stronger.

PS- I didn't have any trouble with Hondas before, and definitely won't when I get it back together
Old 07-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

There any N/A Civics that assrape V8s? Probably fewer than more.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Banned

Actually yes, buddy...... Fully forged bottom end 4.6 DOHC motor, 8.5:1 compression, ATI D1-SC procharger (the big one!) with upgraded custom front mount. Kook's stepped 1 7/8" headers. MSD ignition. Fully tuned using an twEECer (I think that's what it's called). Basically, it would blow the tires off at 65 on pump gas. It's quite a bit faster than the Mustang we are talking about here, hence, it would take the Civic in question here to "walkedville". Since you know so much about boost, I guess I'll just tell you that the Cobra was running around 20 psi, you do the math on how fast it is.

As for my car, it'll be just fine. It's got a blown headgasket right now, but will be back stronger.

PS- I didn't have any trouble with Hondas before, and definitely won't when I get it back together

I have seen 700hp mustangs get beat by 450hp hatchbacks. I even have videos if you wanna host them for me. you are not guranteed to win anything becauase you have a powerful 8 cylinder. one in particular I have a video of this guy raping a 785rwhp mustang I mean by bustlengths.!!. as you can see he makes 616whp in a full inteior si Terry's car

Last edited by RawAzzLT1; 07-30-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:32 PM

even if what you wer esaying was true your math is horrible. first of all the civic type R comes with 185hp. the 160 hp is from the si which is 149whp. fwd has less drivetrain loss that rwd. it has less moving parts. secondly. it takes about 13psi tp make 350whp on a b16 from a mediom sized turbo. I have never seen a b16 with 27psi with less that 550 to the wheels. you just making things up now. show me proof that it takes 27psi to hit 350whp, Im calling bs on you. I am telling you that kinda boost pressure will make over 550whp and I can back it up. show me proof. I can back up what I say can you?
Civic type R's are not available in the U.S. Are you absolutely sure the 160 hp motor puts out 149 whp? Anybody else know? It would take about 19 psi on a 149 whp motor to make 350 whp with no other mods. You are talking about bigger motors that make a lot more n/a whp. I want to see your proof of a 125 whp motor with no other mods other than a 27 psi turbo making 550 whp!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:34 PM

I have seen 700hp mustangs get beat by 450hp hatchbacks. I even have videos if you wanna host them for me. you are not guranteed to win anything becauase you have a powerful 8 cylinder.
I've beat 8 second dragsters when they stalled at the line. Anything can happen. There are no guarantees. Most of the time 700 hp Stangs will rape 450 hp hatches.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Steve Y]Civic type R's are not available in the U.S. Are you absolutely sure the 160 hp motor puts out 149 whp? Anybody else know? It would take about 19 psi on a 149 whp motor to make 350 whp with no other mods. QUOTE]

10psi 320whp bone stock motor yes I am positive the put out 149whp stock. mine did. and sorry no way I can ind a bone stock motor on 27psi making 550. because no one has every pushed that much boost with no other mods. you at least need fuel man. but if you liek I can show you motors with rods and piston pushing 500 and 600 horses

Last edited by RawAzzLT1; 07-30-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=RawAzzLT1]
Originally Posted by Steve Y
Civic type R's are not available in the U.S. Are you absolutely sure the 160 hp motor puts out 149 whp? Anybody else know? It would take about 19 psi on a 149 whp motor to make 350 whp with no other mods. QUOTE]

10psi 320whp bone stock motor
I am talking about a bone stock Civic Si with 19 psi. Who knows what mods that guy has. First he has JDM motor not one from Honda. He probably has full intake, exhaust, and who knows what else. Try again.

Quick Reply: Super Charged 98' Cobra against Civic with a lil' Turbo.