Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

ss vs 30000gt

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:06 PM

Re: ss vs 30000gt

Originally Posted by SFB767
What do you consider a full exhaust?

I just got back from the track an hour ago.

I have a Rumbler and SLP y-pipe on my car and it didn't do ANYTHING for my 1/4-mile time. I lowered it by lowering my 60'. For a basic cat-back, it doesn't get much more wide-open than a Rumbler or a Loudmouth. I'm convinced a cat-back BARELY makes a difference.

The newest VR4 is a mid-13 sec. car. That's a driver's race with an LS1. If both drivers know what they're doing the winning car won't win by a mile.

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/...7AUCTBM.html#9
i consider a full exhaust a full exhaust, the question should be what do u consider it...sorry your catback and Y pipe didnt do anything for you but they do help everyone else(especially the rumbler), a newer vr4 will not touch a well driven 6spd LS1...cant remember the last time I saw a stock vr4 come anywhere near 106-109 mph in the quarter and cutting 13.0's-13.3's bone stock ...o wait they never have
Old 11-20-2004, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
lol the SS will be playing catch-up from the green light. VR4's are wicked off the line and if he knows what he's doing with a shifter should hit low low 13's with ease. Some magazines went high 12's with free mods. From a roll it's SS all the way.
12s with a Vr4?? Youve been smoking some powerfull stuff my friend. high 13s is more likely. Their more of a match for lt1s. Only reason they have dent 1/4 mile time is AWD, race it from a roll and and ls1 will smoke it preaty darn good. AWD eats up too much power up top.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
i consider a full exhaust a full exhaust, the question should be what do u consider it...sorry your catback and Y pipe didnt do anything for you but they do help everyone else(especially the rumbler), a newer vr4 will not touch a well driven 6spd LS1...cant remember the last time I saw a stock vr4 come anywhere near 106-109 mph in the quarter and cutting 13.0's-13.3's bone stock ...o wait they never have
exactly, and...

For who Antz97ZNJ was quoting...Full exhuast is from the heads to the tailpipes. As in HEADERS Y-PIPE and Catback (Cat if needed). Futhermore catbacks do gain you in RWHP/TQ as well as the 1/4 mile. I am sorry you didnt gain anything but try to sell you SLP Y pipe and get some SLP headers. I know LS1 SS's run around 13.3 with a crappy driver (cause my buddy is one) the VR4's are quick but I dont think they are SS quick. The SS also has exhaust which I would think they meant a catback and headers so there is a 12 sec SS. Race goes to the SS.

-Dustin-
Old 11-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dabez1
12s with a Vr4?? Youve been smoking some powerfull stuff my friend. high 13s is more likely. Their more of a match for lt1s. Only reason they have dent 1/4 mile time is AWD, race it from a roll and and ls1 will smoke it preaty darn good. AWD eats up too much power up top.
I was never impressed w/ there awd....was in a few races w/ my buddys high 13 second LT1 vs a stock VR4....guy didnt get anymore then maybe a 1/4 car on him from the start if that in all 4 races from a light and it was neck and neck til they shut down at around 50-60. Guess moving that weight is a bit different as apposed to a 3086 pd sti gettin a huge jump from the light.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:48 PM

For every stock 106-109 mph LS1 car I can show you a dozen 101-102 mph ones. Only the 01-02 LS1s are likely to get near those speeds stock anyway.

I've said it a thousand times - a stock VR4 is a 100 mph car and is not anywhere near fast. Anybody that claims they are has just never gone any faster.

You have got to do a few mods to make them competitive. After that though, they do just fine. The only LS1 car I've lost to (on a roll) had heads & cam. The bolt-on cars were not quick enough to beat me.

Antz may be "not impressed with its AWD" but mine ran 7.80s @ 89 in the 1/8th, and that's at 4070 lbs with my *** in the car. Stock turbos, stock cat-back. With 245s in front and 275s in back, nailing a 1.7x 60ft is easy on the track or on the street.

I sold my Stealth because I got arrested while racing a LS1 SS. I pulled several cars on a 70-120 roll and hammered him badly from a redlight. Unfortunately I didn't see the cops at the convienence store who also witnessed that run

Now I've decided I'm too old for all that stuff and have a family car that I can still take to the track when I want to have a little fun.

Back to this thread's original topic, a stock Stealth/VR4 shouldn't be racing anybody without at least the cheap mods. Otherwise they're gonna lose a lot to even family sedans, much less real muscle cars. In 1991, 100 mph was great. In 2004, it's just average. They just need to accept that.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=John M] Only the 01-02 LS1s are likely to get near those speeds stock anyway.

Not true at all....plenty of 98-00's running those traps also..98 formy here in NJ (englishtown) ran a 12.7@109 bone stock..and theres many more.. any properly driven 6spd should be atleast 106...heck autos hit 104-105....The original argument was a stock VR4 runnin w/ a LS1...
Old 11-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Somebody had tell all the LS1 owners on this very board that they should be trapping 104-105 stock. Many of them in the Drag Racing Techniques section do trap at those speeds but only after at least a lid & exhaust mods. While those are easy and cheap mods, they aren't stock.

Example:
Lid & cutout = 13.09 @ 105. - http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317864

I can dig up a bone stock to-the-paper-filter Stealth that ran 13.0 @ 106. Nevermind that later on he discovered the stock boost control was fubared and he was at 15 psi - it was still stock!!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:00 PM

I don't know the stock psi on 3000gt's, but if its not 15, and he was running 15psi, how is that stock?!? You are uping the the boost, the reason that engine makes power... thats like saying hey I ran a 13.0 in my LT1 and later found out it had the hotcam kit, but it was still stock! Then again, just dismiss this if they do put out 15psi stock, but changing the car in any aspect, suspension/engine/tranny makes it not stock. It may make it stock engine etc... but when you up the boost in a turboed car, it is like putting bolt-ons on a all-motor vehicle.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
a newer vr4 will not touch a well driven 6spd LS1
Did you not click on the hyperlink I provided for you?

Who cares about which car has the higher MPH if they both take almost the same time to clear the 1/4-mile?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:43 PM

Yeah I am sure we all saw the link, and I know that I personally laughed that the Formula ran 3 tenths quick and a higher trap speed, and their excuse was that the Camaro was harder to launch... odd when they are exactly the same powertrain wise!!! 3000gts are few and far between, and the VR4's are even fewer, and lets face it, the modded ones are a miniscule speck is the 3000gt/stealth world. Stock for stock, LS1 wins by a fair amount, stock 3kgt vs full exhaust LS1, say goodbye Vr4. The MPH in the quarter mile has a lot to do with which car is faster. It is more than likely these cars will race from a roll, and thats where that MPH comes into play. That extra MPH, on average is probably 5, will show itself well if the race goes from a roll, and also from a stop, as the 3kgt will more than likely be passed.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:41 PM

The guy did nothing to his car for it to run 15 psi (stock is 11); it was just broken from the factory. You see ringers being driving by car magazines too, that accidentally have blueprinted engines, extra timing, and other non-visible tweaks.

I don't think anyone here has claimed a stock 3S can outrun a LS1 from a roll. At best they can stay even through the 1/4. That point has been hammered home in this thread more times than a cheap prosititute.

I'll bet that with both cars at a 1/4 mile track I can at least make it very interesting. Then again, after 12 years racing turbo AWDs you would hope I could outdrive a highschool kid. Any deficiencies suffered by the 13 year old powertrain can be taken care of with a $50 boost controller - hardly a large investment or complicated install.

SFB767 has it right though - whoever lights up the win light is the victor, while mph is great for bragging rights.

Only an idiot would claim the LS1 doesn't have potential. Whether in NA form with heads & cam, standard forced induction a la blower, or in modern twin turbo trim they can be truly sick cars. I almost bought a new GTO but didn't want 350hp when 400 is right around the corner, plus AWD is just too addictive to lose. I can drive my brother's single Supra if I want to experience the joys of high hp and no traction

I just laugh when I see a VR4/Stealth automatically dismissed. It may not have the invincible F&F aura the Supra does but don't doubt for one second the potential isn't there. Then again, I do enjoy when people underestimate my new sedan too. Expressions at the track were priceless!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SFB767
Did you not click on the hyperlink I provided for you?

Who cares about which car has the higher MPH if they both take almost the same time to clear the 1/4-mile?
Yea I saw the link, and ive yet to see or here of a vr4 run a 13.4 stock(cept for this article)..also I wouldnt use popular mechanics as a know all of drag racing especially w/ what the guy above pointed out about the fbodies...i was thinkin the same thing myself..plus mitsubishi has been known in the past to pay nicely for what they want to see (reffering to Fast n Furious part 2 deal). I can assure you for every vr4 running that time theres a stock high 12 second fbody.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=Antz97ZNJ]
Originally Posted by John M
Only the 01-02 LS1s are likely to get near those speeds stock anyway.

Not true at all....plenty of 98-00's running those traps also..98 formy here in NJ (englishtown) ran a 12.7@109 bone stock..and theres many more.. any properly driven 6spd should be atleast 106...heck autos hit 104-105....The original argument was a stock VR4 runnin w/ a LS1...
12.7's @ 109 in a bone stock 98 ls-1 is a world record and I'm sure we're all wondering why we haven't seen this amazing car in magazines all over the united states.

Furthermore, only a handful out of a hundred thousand ls-1 fbodies have hit high 12's bone stock, it's nearly impossible to do, and it's a bench racers's dream, wheras anyone with a brain in his (or her) head can bring a vr-4 to mid-low 13's, just takes a high RPM clutch dump and let the 4wd do the rest. Motor Trend and Car & Driver have also gotten consistent mid 13's out of these(3000gt vr4) cars.

A true race is from a dead stop, first one across the finish line wins, and this puts a huge advantage in favor of the VR4.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 11-23-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 AM

Motor Trend and Car & Driver have also gotten consistent mid 13's out of these(3000gt vr4) cars.

A true race is from a dead stop, first one across the finish line wins, and this puts a huge advantage in favor of the VR4.
More or less what I've been trying to to say.

Tell the guy you're racing in the lane next to you at the track to ease out of the tree because you want to race from a roll and watch what he says. Then if he beats you and you tell him "my MPH was higher", watch him give you a funny look.

1,320' is the standard amount of room for a car to go through its entire powerband in order to determine just how fast it really is.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
12.7's @ 109 in a bone stock 98 ls-1 is a world record and I'm sure we're all wondering why we haven't seen this amazing car in magazines all over the united states.

Furthermore, only a handful out of a hundred thousand ls-1 fbodies have hit high 12's bone stock, it's nearly impossible to do, and it's a bench racers's dream, wheras anyone with a brain in his (or her) head can bring a vr-4 to mid-low 13's, just takes a high RPM clutch dump and let the 4wd do the rest. Motor Trend and Car & Driver have also gotten consistent mid 13's out of these(3000gt vr4) cars.

A high 12 second second LS1 f-body is extremely rare. I agree. A low 13 second VR4 is also extremely rare. Even a mid 13 isn't easy either. By your comments, it would seem that anyone can run a low-mid 13 in a VR4. Well, tell that to the VR4 guy I've seen on two different occasions at the track that had a rough time breaking out of the 14's.

It's hard to generalize. I think the point is that the fastest stock LS1 is faster than the fastest stock VR4.

VR4's, or almost any AWD car, get a LOT of the 1/4 mile time from a clutch dump resulting in a great 60' time. F-bodies can also easily get down to the 60' times of a AWD car, but at the risk of damaging the rear unless we buy a 12 bolt. The AWD cars are risking their tranny and rear with their clutch dumps as well, but they have no other choice if they want a good 1/4 mile time. That is why the trap speed (power) is nice for the f-body. No need for such an aggressive launch to still get a good 1/4 mile time.

Dan

Quick Reply: ss vs 30000gt