Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Run in with s2000

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Run in with s2000

so yesturday i was at a light and i look in my rearview and see some import and didnt think anything of it. The next thing i see is it doing a fly by around 80 with him waving bye to me. Since i got an auto i wasent going to bother espcially with some cars around. So i get around the cars and we both get to a light ahead and there arent any cars infront of us for a good half mile. while were waitin for the light to turn he starts reving his annoying *** 4 banger. At green we obviously both went. I did a pretty easy launch and then hit it. i had him by a solid 4-5 lengths by 90 and shut it down at around 100. The only thing he saw were my tailights and me waving bye . I thought those cars had some kind of umph in them? but guess not
Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 AM

Re: Run in with s2000

They have NO TORQUE. Its a very high revving motor so it really wont take off good at all unless you redline dump it. My uncle has one and always teases me into racing him. From your descrition I should be ok with a good launch.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 PM
nfa

good kill. s2000's are one of my favourite snacks b/c the owners buy right into the sales pitch they got from the dealership. i only know one person who has a "respectable" s2000 (turbo kit, standalone AEM, etc), but for the amount of money that he put into that thing (and the amount of time it spends on the shop rather than on the street), you would expect it to be fast.

Last edited by nfa; 07-01-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:03 AM

But they're 100 HP per Litre!!!!

..... like that f'n matters!?

Good kill!!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:35 AM

A well driven S2000 is a low 14 second car. Then can move pretty well, when the guy behind the wheel knows what he is doing.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:51 AM

hah just today... my friend at work has a c6 and other had a s2k... well my other friend (HUGE import buff) were walking passed both of them. im like DAM thats hot, he goes yea, the 2k... im like WHAT are you kidding me... well, after 5 min of going back and force, he sees my view.. and love it, then he goes... "well, id still take a NSX over it."

WTF great
Old 07-02-2006, 03:10 AM

Nice kill. They are fun cars to drive though, especially with the top down.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by nj87ttype
Nice kill. They are fun cars to drive though, especially with the top down.
They do look cool but i love to drop a gear and go 3/4 throttle past convertibles with my cutout open. the kind of looks they give me are funny as hell. good kill
Old 07-02-2006, 04:07 AM

No Capn Pete, they're a whole 120 HP per liter!!!!!
But as you put it, like that f'n matters.......when you only got 2 liters.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 AM

My buddy has one and is pretty deep into the forums. They are already so highly tuned that mods are pretty worthless for gains unless you go FI. IN fact, his $1500+ exhaust setup probabaly gained him less then 10 hp. It did lose 40+ lbs though, which is supposed to be the big gain, much like the NSX.

What most of the owners of those cars don't understand though is that cars aren't draggers. In fact, go look up any of their sites and find some posts where people ask how to go faster down the quarter mile. The typical response is "sell your s2k and go buy a camaro or mustang" Their great handling cars and made for auto-x or road racing, where they excel. Perfectly balanced cars with great driver feeling and a super stiff chassis.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:53 AM
nfa

Their handling is good, but in the first few years of production, the rear suspension setup was too twitchy. When you combine the overly sensitive suspension setup with a owner base that more often than not have never owned a rwd car before, you end up with a lot of s2k's oversteering themselves into guardrails and ditches. Honda subsequently revised the suspension set up to tame the handing.

Originally Posted by blackrat
Their great handling cars and made for auto-x or road racing, where they excel. Perfectly balanced cars with great driver feeling and a super stiff chassis.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by speed fiend
No Capn Pete, they're a whole 120 HP per liter!!!!!
But as you put it, like that f'n matters.......when you only got 2 liters.
Sorry, you're quite right. The early years they were 120HP/L, but a couple years ago they actually bumped up the displacement of the engine to 2.2L! So now they're only about ~109HP/L .

I think the upped displacement was to "try" to get a little more low-end torque out of them?? I don't feel like looking this all up right now, but can someone confirm whether they increased the stroke (and not the bore) of the engine???
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 AM

I am on a S2K board and they always talk about beating cars that simply would never happen...so one day I asked for timeslips for all these 13 second S2K's and after a bunch of pissed of guys I think something like a 2 or 3 were produced out of hundreds and hundreds of guys bragging about running 13's or racing substantially faster cars.

Basically the only guys that own those cars but are realistic about the cars were guys that owned f-bods, vettes, stangs, etc. before.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
nfa

I believe it was stroked to get more midrange. Redline fell from 9000 to 8200 rpm. Hp stayed the same, but peaks earlier at 7800 rpm vs 8300 rpm.

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
I think the upped displacement was to "try" to get a little more low-end torque out of them?? I don't feel like looking this all up right now, but can someone confirm whether they increased the stroke (and not the bore) of the engine???
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Sorry, you're quite right. The early years they were 120HP/L, but a couple years ago they actually bumped up the displacement of the engine to 2.2L! So now they're only about ~109HP/L .

They increased the engine's stroke.

Quick Reply: Run in with s2000