Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

potential race with a WRX...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:43 AM

potential race with a WRX...need some input

At the local hang out that I have been going to there is a WRX that is always there. There seems to me like kind of a grudge bc we both know we are the 2 fastest cars there but neither of us know which is king. Here is some info on the car. 2003 Subaru WRX Impreza, his mods are turbo-back exhuast, blow-off valve, down-pipe, and some computer tuning. He says he is running about 16.5 lbs of boost. He said his estimated hp is around 230 to the wheels. I know 230 doesnt sound like a whole lot but I know these cars are light and the all-wheel drive is a very big advantage. I do know the car is also a manual. Everyone I talk to that knows this guy thinks this car is the fastest thing ever. I tell them I want to race it in my Camaro and they are like "No way u will beat it, that car is so fast". So now I want to race him even more. Please tell me what u think about this race. My mods and current track times are in my signature. I figure with about 100 more hp to the wheels then him I should be able to take him if I can hook good with my Nitto's.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 AM

Re: potential race with a WRX...need some input

If you get any kind of launch at all, you will absolutely blow his doors off....WRXs really have no top end, they are all about the launch. If you could convince him to go from a roll (unlikely) it would be downright ugly. You're gonna win either way, it'd just be uglier from a roll

The only way you lose is if its a race to 60 or so from a dig.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:22 AM

Once i found out for sure it was a stock turbo, I had more confidence. There is one kid out at this local hang out that was talking some mad **** last night. I mentioned to my friend that i thought I could beat the WRX and this kid over-heard me and asked me what I thought i could beat him in and I told him my camaro and he asked me how much I had into my car and I said about $4k and he said "Nope no way u will touch that car".
Old 06-30-2005, 01:38 AM

Typical ricer jargon; they hear the word Camaro and think of their Uncle's '89 RS 305 that ran 16's.....trust me, your car is alot faster.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM

thanks man I feel alot better now about this race. I am going to try and take video with my bro digital camera. I will shoot u the video when it happens. Peace, Dustin.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 AM

His mods dont look like anything id be worried about
Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 AM

You'll be fine. My guess-o-meter would put him at around 8.6 - 8.7 @ 78-80 in the 1/8th.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 AM

16.5 lbs on stock turbo? I don't know for sure but I think that's a lot!....But not enough to hang with a cammed/stalled LT1 on DR's....race him for money and video tape it

PS- just be sure to race a full 1/4 mile b/c if he gets out too far on the launch you'll need to real him in, but again with a stall, gears, and DR's it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Last edited by Z28COnrad; 06-30-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM

Test drove a stock wrx,it was nothing great. But awd will crush you off the launch normally but you have a stall,3.73 and nitto drags so I wouldn't not be too worried. I destroyed a 4 by 4 jeep cherokee thing off the lights three times when had nittos on my vert and 3.42 gears before my stall. He just shook his head with disbelieve.No rwd could beat his awd he thought. Wrong !!

I predict it will be pretty close at the launch.with the wrx maybe getting a slight lead. Then you should do him pretty good they are not that light. Now aftermarket turbos make a huge diff to any car with 400,500,600 engine hp being possible .But on stock turbo and a bit more boost..I predict easy win.They are just talking crap. And if you really want to kill him rattle him enough so he missing a shift,short shifts or hits his rev limiter. Auto cars like yours rule for 1/4 mile racing. I have seen many many srt 4 and wrx cars at local track run awful times and sometimes not even get good 60fts either. Driver has to be willing to really rev the hell out of his car to turn the amazing 60ft numbers and not everyone is willing to be that hard on the clutch.

Run the bum..they are cool cars but fugly.!!! Show him camaro tailights!!!

Now would be a bit more worried about a modded up sti but not awhole lot. With stall and gears and drag radials awd is not invincible.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 AM

He will definitely lose. Unless you don't press the gas pedal hard enough. Typical ricers, know nothing about cars so they buy AWD Subarus with weak transmissions that run mid 14s stock, to drag race with.

At least get the STi if your gonna talk ****.

- Z28WannaB
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 PM

any WRX person is a guaranteed ricer if he even attempts running 1/4 miles. That's really not what the car is for. STI's on the other hand arn't that bad at the strip, but again, not what the car was made for.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 PM

Oh sure, that's a fair statement. I've raced every vehicle I've ever owned at the track. Hell, my Grand Marquis used to blow the doors off rice all the time at the 1/8mi track. I don't know any car that's "made for" the track.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 PM

ok maybe i came off a little harsh. WRX's are not built for speed, they're built for dirt roads and snow. a WRX in stock trim won't impress anyone at the track, although it may beat a couple ricers. Even modded, WRX's fall short.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Did you mean to say that he has a turboback exhaust and an uppipe? A downpipe is already included in a turbo back exhaust.

Anyway, with his mods, he's pretty close on his rwhp guess. Regardless, he's probably only trapping 98-100 mph and with a good 60' could maybe reach mid-high 13's.

I guess you are the new king in town. Set up the race soon. I'd like to hear the outcome.

Dan
Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 PM

I think you will take him. Good luck!

Quick Reply: potential race with a WRX...need some input