Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

My Camaro vs Hemi Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:30 PM

My Camaro vs Hemi Charger?

One of those new Hemi Chargers pulled up next to me at a light and was doing the brake pumping thing . I'm really not prepared to hammer down on it yet since I'm waiting on my water pump and changing the transmission line do to a leak.. But I was just wondering if my 97 stock Z28 can keep with these new Hemi 4 door Chargers. AND WHY WOULD THEY MAKE A CALSSIC MUSCLE CAR LIKE THE CHARGER A 4 DOOR???
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 AM

I think you should be able to take em I raced a hemi challenger I lost by half a car length and all I've got done is a cai
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eureka
One of those new Hemi Chargers pulled up next to me at a light and was doing the brake pumping thing . I'm really not prepared to hammer down on it yet since I'm waiting on my water pump and changing the transmission line do to a leak.. But I was just wondering if my 97 stock Z28 can keep with these new Hemi 4 door Chargers. AND WHY WOULD THEY MAKE A CALSSIC MUSCLE CAR LIKE THE CHARGER A 4 DOOR???
I always assumed they created the new Charger to compete with the Impala. Both were serious muscle cars in the past that came back as Sedans.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 PM

They made it a 4 door so it would sell in greater numbers. They realized that most people who liked the powertrain also needed the utility of 4 doors.

The newest models have the revised 5.7 liter Hemi rated at 375hp -- the same one that's rated at 390hp/407q in the truck. In stock form they've got a ton of torque management just like GM's v8's.

I had never owned a domestic Dodge product until my Hemi truck. I liked the engine enough that I could see me having a car with the same setup, especially now that the new Challenger offers a manual transmission to go along with it. I'll probably end up grabbing a clean Magnum SRT8 later on to have some flexibility along with the 6.1 Hemi's potential, even if that means another automatic.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Retired

They are mid-14 second cars at best stock.

My friend has a heads/cam/intake/headers/converter/gears 5.7L Hemi Charger and he's still stuck in the 13s.

Well, 13.003, but that's still 13s
Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Power to weight ratio says you should win. As with any race the driver mod is the most impoortant and biggest factor should the race become closer that you like. The new 375hp Chargers could pull a low 14 sec ET on a good day. Which isn't bad for a 4000 lb + 4 door sedan. Having driven both cars I can tell you the it's the Camaro's race to win.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM

I didn't know they were that slow. Next time I see one im going to pick a fight.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM

The Charger is a great looking car; but it's a pig.

The Challenger is FINE as HELL! But like the Charger, it's so heavy that ya really can't see the performance that the HP rating says it should produce.

Chargers are running in the 9s in the 1/8th... Stock or lightly modded LS Z or T/A will take it down no problem. Older stock or lightly modded Lt units would be comparable in ET...

My Z ran mid 9s when I first got it... heavy *** steel 20" rims, CIA and 150k+ miles. Chargers were always a good race. That was three or so years ago...

Although I ran across a blown Chrysler 300... had to be at the end of last season.... Ran like a bat out of hell... mid 7s... but the poor guy smoked the tranny after something like 4 or 5 passes.

That thing was about as hot (temperature) as I imagine an engine can get without a flame component...

LOL... I had just run him and edged him out... when he didn't roll back into the pits, I drove back down to see if he needed some help and pulled along side him facing driver to driver.

I could feel the heat pouring out from under her car... and mentioned it to him... and he said he was waiting on his buddies to come and get him...

So I got out just to chat him up and when I opened my door I got a very strong blast of that heat and told the guy "Man you're car is REALLY HOT, you should open the lid and let that thing cool down."

Well long story short he was hesitant to lift the hood... and I finally told him... "Look dude, you're running mid 7s in a 4500 pound luxury sedan... I don't know what you've got under that hood, but I am like the least experienced guy here and even I know you're up to something... but what ever it is, its cooking down under that hood and its not going to be worth jack if you don't do something to cool it down."

So he lifted the lid and there it was... an Eaton Root blower... BEAUTIFUL Install... couldn't hear a thing... sounded like any other 300 with a fine set of pipes...

So if you've GOT to run one... try to be 4th fo 5th in line... ;.y
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Even the srt8's are not all that fast. A stock ls1 f-body can edge out a srt8 challenger. My lt1 will put many lengths on the stock srt8's especially from a stop. They are slow from a stop because they are so heavy; I tested out a srt8 challenger and it was really low on power until mid 2nd gear. I hear the new 5.7's have 390hp instead of the 345hp hemi in the older rt's.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:07 PM

my car has alot done to it but i had a red srt8 that had as big as a rim u can put on it that had a rubberband as tires do a blow by on me when i got off the exit. i caught up to him and we both hit it around 45mph. needless to say it wasnt even a race. we did it 2ice with the same result. i didnt walk away from him. i ran. no juice either. i was disapointed and thought it would of had more then that with the hp they are rated at. it did look really good tho
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM

We all know those bigass wheels & tires aren't helping acceleration. The SRT8 cars run low 13s at ~ 109 mph. If you trap faster, you'll pull. If you don't, they will win.

Since they got the 5.7 liter to hit almost 400hp, it would be interesting to see what that same approach would net for the 6.1 liter version.