Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Mustang kill

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Mustang kill

So it's Friday night and I'm over to the track, as I am wont to do from time to time and I'm puttin' the Wustangs away, as usual... when just as usual I find that they soon grow weary and I find myself being set up for my third solo-shot...

When an unbadged 2001 or 2ish Mustang rolls up along side... and she's LOPEY... decent looking car, but the lope was Sexy... I mean it sounded GOOD.

I actually had to take a hard look, because we were deep in the lanes, so it was dark and it sounded so good, that I couldn't believe it was a Mustang.

Anywho... she's definitely sporting Drag radials and it's clear that we've got a race on our hands.

Now it's a fair race, because my car has 160 grand on her old bones and despite being a GM, that's an old car no matter how ya slice it.

So we stage up... and contrary to the Mustang trend, he actually does a business like burn out, no show boating John Force wanna be this guy...

So we pull almost identical launches and I pull a 1/4 car, he pauses to take a shift and I'm 1/2 a car up... he stops the bleeding and I can just barely see him pushing in my periphial; but he pauses to shift to third and he's gone...

LOL... I'm like, well, another Mustang in the bag... when about that time he comes flying by and take us down by a car... "Huh... A blower... go figure..."

Mustangs, man they're either suckin' or blowin'...

So I tell the chick at the time slip shack to tell him to bring it back to the stage, change lanes and lets go again; which he does...

Back in the lanes, he pops out of the car, walks over and we chat it up... turns out to be a real nice guy, compliments the old Z and I reciprocate.. He tells me about his new blower and I am suitably impressed.

So we stage up, I crush the start and he's gone... I take him by 1 and a half... we pulled in the pits and he explains that he had a problem with the clutch or somethin...

Great guy though... not at an obnoxious ***** whose prone to web racin,' like some ...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM

sounds like a decent race. what are your mods btw?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM

if it sounded as good as you say it was probably cammed all to hell, full bolt ons, maybe even some head work to go with that blower... sounds like your cars runs like an SOB

make a sig
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Good runs,
Please make you a signature so we can see what you own and your mods.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
if it sounded as good as you say it was probably cammed all to hell, full bolt ons, maybe even some head work to go with that blower... sounds like your cars runs like an SOB

make a sig
I got that too from the plethora of detail that was emitted from the first post. LOL, you do not even know what he has done to his car and you say completely built car because it actually nosed him out.

Uh.....stock for stock a PI 2v GT and a lt1 is one of the closest races you can observe. Your car has been rebuilt fully at least once from your own admittance and twice on the top end.

I love the brand loyalists.

What all is done to your car?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM

haha, everyone is dying to know what car he drives,

yes, a 2v GT and an LT1 are a pretty close race stock vs stock
but a full bolt on LT1 will rock a full bolt on 2v's world
Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 PM

haha, everyone is dying to know what car he drives,

yes, a 2v GT and an LT1 are a pretty close race stock vs stock
but a full bolt on LT1 will rock a full bolt on 2v's world

The fastest bolt on is 11.8s with a lt1 and 11.9s with a PI 2v........

Also most full bolt on lt1 cars are high 12s.....so are 2v GTs.

The big difference is when you go to building monster N/A cars and the power they put out on a dyno.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro
The fastest bolt on is 11.8s with a lt1 and 11.9s with a PI 2v........

Also most full bolt on lt1 cars are high 12s.....so are 2v GTs.

The big difference is when you go to building monster N/A cars and the power they put out on a dyno.
I'm not saying mustangs are bad cars, and I'm sure you can get a 2v GT to 12's with only bolt ons.... I'm just going off my personal experience and on the street, 2v GT's just don't seem to be able to keep up
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM

make a sig

Yeah, according to the driver he's got the largest cams that are available for that engine... which FTR was the engine that came in the car... and it was the sweetest sounding Mustang I've ever heard. He said he'd had the heads ported and it was a sweet set up.

Hell the blower was a beautifully installed T-trim Vortec and as I said, it was dudes first night running the induction... He's genuinely fast, and easily mid 11
second car... I got him when the gettin' was good; but that's racin'... and to be sure, it's my favorite part.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM

I never said you thought poorly of them. I was just correcting what you said. I just stated the facts. Shon Herron owns the lt1 record and Ian Mullane owns the Mustang record.

All you have to due is peruse the tech sections of the given cars forum and you will see both of these cars are quite evenly matched regardless of setup.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Yeah Sean Herron had the LT-1 11.80, but someone else pushed it up... I don't know who it was, but that info came from him personally.

I don't think there's any comparison with the 2 valve 'stangs and the Z28; at least in my experience....

When my car was completely stock after I first got it, a couple of years ago... I crushed everything but the newest GTs... and the Mustang V8s of similar vintage were completely outclassed.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 PM

there's a difference between tech articles and real world results
I'm not doubting your numbers on the world records, I'm sure those are accurate
I'm just stating that on the street, IN GENERAL, 2v GT's do not keep up with LT1's when the mods are the same or similar, it takes a little extra on the part of the GT
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 AM

there's a difference between tech articles and real world results
I'm not doubting your numbers on the world records, I'm sure those are accurate
I'm just stating that on the street, IN GENERAL, 2v GT's do not keep up with LT1's when the mods are the same or similar, it takes a little extra on the part of the GT
I said forums. Just hit up the Corral or ModularDepot and you will see what I mean. I put zero faith in any magazine times.

I will agree that many GTs are slow for what are done to them but I would be willing to contribute that to the owners rather than the cars themselves. Camaro and Firebird have an older and more performance oriented following while the Mustang has a mass appeal. You are bound to get the gear heads more often behind the wheel of the GM car thus usually giving better results.

Just so you know OVA I do not doubt for one second that you beat him and cam close on the first race. There are plenty of cammed lt1s running awesome times. I just had to throw my two cents in so the brand nuthuggers were not going to ride the train of the Mustang needs a 400hp shot of nitrous and to be towed by John Forces car to keep up with a lt1!!!!!!!!

Good races man and I bet with a decent suspension setup you could get damn close to the 12.0 mark in that thing.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro
I said forums. Just hit up the Corral or ModularDepot and you will see what I mean. I put zero faith in any magazine times.

I will agree that many GTs are slow for what are done to them but I would be willing to contribute that to the owners rather than the cars themselves. Camaro and Firebird have an older and more performance oriented following while the Mustang has a mass appeal. You are bound to get the gear heads more often behind the wheel of the GM car thus usually giving better results.

Just so you know OVA I do not doubt for one second that you beat him and cam close on the first race. There are plenty of cammed lt1s running awesome times. I just had to throw my two cents in so the brand nuthuggers were not going to ride the train of the Mustang needs a 400hp shot of nitrous and to be towed by John Forces car to keep up with a lt1!!!!!!!!

Good races man and I bet with a decent suspension setup you could get damn close to the 12.0 mark in that thing.

LOL... Yeah I understand and thanks... I run a 1/8th mile and so far it's been near impossible to drive past our local track on Race night and drive two hours up the road for a 1/4 mile run... but one of these days, no doubt we'll get that done.

In cruising around at timeslips.com it looks like we're running low 12s on the current set up... with the 7.88 being in and around 12.2 or 3. That run was in exquisite air, but on a crappy tune... Last week with the humidity up and temps around the mid to low 70s we ran steady 8.0s with the hundredths locking down in the 1-3 zone and 60s hard pressed to move off the 1.80 or 1.81, trapping 87. The last run mentioned above we caught an 8.01 @1.80 trapping 87.99... (she seems to know... I swear...).

I ordered a Vig yesterday and just got the call that it's shipping today, and should be here Monday, which is when the PCM edit program should arrive and I have GOT to call dude and find out where that TCA is... But I don't think I'll hit the track tomorrow, but I can hardly WAIT to get that Vig installed and take a look at my shift points...

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but since the 4.10s, she's been hangin' at the shifts and bouncing off the limiter... actually nosing over pretty bad. Last week in the 1-2 shift, it was so bad that a regular came over and asked if I had converted to a stick... so even without considering what we're sure to pick up with the Vig, I gotta believe that we're losing 2 tenths or there abouts just in the goofy shift-tune we're saddled with at the moment.

It's so hard to know (I've been hurt before... ), but I am feeling myself starting to get the hopes up for some 7.8s in fair air and 7.6s in the cold stuff.

But... I've made enough passes to know that you can "Hope" all ya want; as the Clock... she can be such SUCH a cold blooded wench and she doesn't give a red rats @$$ what your hopes are. So we'll just stage up and see what we get when it's all said and done.

But here's HOPIN'!

Last edited by OVA1; 02-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Ova1,
Sitting back and reading the conversations so far, you seem to speak mostly from experience as well as DC. Despite any types of brand loyalties and small jabs at the other makes (Thats what makes us different)
Your comments have been worth reading. It has been light years since my
LT1 was a bolt on car, but like you mentioned... Most of mine stock or close to it were 14.0 second / 9.0-9.20 1/8th mile cars. I have owned 3 of them and all of the LT1s were autos. The first thing any LT1 owner should mod is that Gad aweful torque converter. I remember being dissapointed at the tracks until I put in my 3,200 vig and picked up almost 1/2 a second.
Now mine sits in a garage and awaits track only events (9 second ride)

My Saleen runs mid 10s and is fully equipped so I wont be arguing bolt on vs bolt on or power adder vs power adder, but will tell you that once ANY modding starts....all bets are off for either camp. Just depends on how deep your pockets are and how far you are willing to push the envolope.
Im sure you will agree.

Now back to the mustang vs LT1, in particular the 2v engine. I ran my bone stock 01 GT with 680 miles on the odometer at Darlington dragway in SC back in 2003 and people were dumbfounded that a stock 2v was turning 13.80s on every run. 1/8th mile on the slip was 8.90-8.98 respectively. Trap was dead on 100 mph. Conditions were perfect and I was cutting 1.90 short times on the factory tires.
As you know, it depends greatly on driver, weather, track conditions etc...
There are so many variables its not even funny.
Thats why on a given day you may see an 02 ram air LS1 running 13.90 at the strip. Or an new Cobra Shelby running mid 13s.
The track is such a humbling trip that it will just make you realize how slow you really are. Thats my experience anyhow.

I love threads like this that we can all discuss our views and I dont mind some jabbing and heated debate, but I appreciate all of you keeping this thread civil.

Later.

Quick Reply: Mustang kill