Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

me vs a gs400 (too close for comfort)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:48 AM

Atleast I know they're quick, but even if he was stock I have a hard time believing he'd be keeping up with my 330rwhp z28. unless I suck at driving
Old 02-29-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by 96SilverRam
I don't see a GS400 or 430 leaving a midly modded Z28 at any speed. I have personally raced a couple different GS400/430 with my S-type JAG (32V DOHC V8) and have beat all 3 of them. Even when my WS6 was bone stock it still would have spanked my JAG at at speed.
Are you sure they weren't 300s or maybe 400/430s with drivers that weren't really heads-up on the race?

Obviously you are convinced.

However it's just odd... I assume you have the non-supercharged V8 S-type, right? Somewhere between 2000 and 2003? Most performance specs I've read on those put them between 14.4 and 15.1 @ 93-96 MPH in the 1/4-mile. I've actually raced one of my clients (I do IT consulting for a lot of doctors offices) in his 2003 S-type from a 70 MPH roll and left him so bad he was actually pissed off and considering selling his car.
Now the supercharged S-type (Type "R" they call it I think) is another story... 390 horsepower. Those things do seem to commonly run high 13s @ 102 MPH or so and I'm sure one of those would take a GS400/430 quite handily unless the Jag was on its worst behavior and the GS4 on its best.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Threxx
I'm giving my opinion.
Exactly, you are guessing. Did you ever race the two cars from a 100 mph roll? Or time them both from 100-130 mph or something like that? I doubt it. Until you have proof, this is all just bench racing.

Yes, I do remember mine was mildly modded... and it still wouldn't have done 159 MPH. Believe me... I tried a couple of times (yes I was young and stupid) and I couldn't quite make it past 150... which is pretty substantial in terms of top speed where 10MPH means the difference between a plain ol' C5 and a Z06.
You need to be in 5th gear for top speed with a stock geared F-body (if it is m/t). You need to be on a level road with no wind and run that thing out for a long time to get to true top speed.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:32 AM

Hey Threxx I don't get it....... Your time for the GS400 in your sig 14.4 @ 98.X and you say it would walk a stock Z28 at higher speeds? I believe a stock six speed LT1 would walk you pretty steadily, but from a higher roll maybe an auto would be interesting.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:41 AM

FastZinTennessee - The only reason I have that time in my sig is to give people a demo of a program I really like: Cartest2000, and to give them an idea of what GS4s are capable of. True I could just quote the average posted time for my car, or even the best posted time for my car (like most car guys do), but the time it gave for my car is on the extreme high end of what GS4s run... which is why I don't feel like I'm BSing anybody by posting it since I haven't been to the track (yet).

Originally posted by Steve Y
Exactly, you are guessing. Did you ever race the two cars from a 100 mph roll? Or time them both from 100-130 mph or something like that? I doubt it. Until you have proof, this is all just bench racing.

You need to be in 5th gear for top speed with a stock geared F-body (if it is m/t). You need to be on a level road with no wind and run that thing out for a long time to get to true top speed.
So let me get this straight.

Person A starts this thread because his modded Z28 barely took out a stock GS4. Then all sorts of people start talking like that's nearly impossible, the GS4 must have had mods that the Z driver just didn't know about, etc, etc. Then I come in, having owned and driven both cars extensively and give my opinion. And somehow, because I never lined by two cars up against each other, I'm benchracing now?

It's funny how on this board, if you make a positive/cheerleading comment about a domestic, or a cynical comment about an import, it's never questioned, but if you come in supporting another member who had a close encounter with an import and would otherwise have no reason to lie about his experience, and have more hands-on experience with GS4s than pretty much everyone else in the thread combined... you are still 'bench racing' unless you've run both of your cars side by side. There's just no pleasing you guys.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:24 PM

FastZinTennessee - The only reason I have that time in my sig is to give people a demo of a program I really like: Cartest2000, and to give them an idea of what GS4s are capable of. True I could just quote the average posted time for my car, or even the best posted time for my car (like most car guys do), but the time it gave for my car is on the extreme high end of what GS4s run... which is why I don't feel like I'm BSing anybody by posting it since I haven't been to the track (yet).

So let me get this straight.

Person A starts this thread because his modded Z28 barely took out a stock GS4. Then all sorts of people start talking like that's nearly impossible, the GS4 must have had mods that the Z driver just didn't know about, etc, etc. Then I come in, having owned and driven both cars extensively and give my opinion. And somehow, because I never lined by two cars up against each other, I'm benchracing now?

It's funny how on this board, if you make a positive/cheerleading comment about a domestic, or a cynical comment about an import, it's never questioned, but if you come in supporting another member who had a close encounter with an import and would otherwise have no reason to lie about his experience, and have more hands-on experience with GS4s than pretty much everyone else in the thread combined... you are still 'bench racing' unless you've run both of your cars side by side. There's just no pleasing you guys.
Now your just tryin to be a funny ( are you sure it was not a 300), please. Actually one of the GS's I raced was coming home from Indiana last summer. He tried me from a 60 & 80 mph roll and I put 2 cars on him and held to 130. If you walk your bosses 2003 s-type from 70 then he forgot to turn off the trac - control and he also forgot to turn on the sport mode. These two things can strangle and s-type if you forgot to do them. It also helps for him to use the J-gate in manual mode. I think in reality you and me both have good running luxury cars that are a little faster than the stats show them to be. No it's not an S-type R, but that car easily does 13.30 @ 108 in the right weather conditions.
I'm buyin one of those this summer or the new 7 series on 22's.

Either way on the luxury cars, I still don't see the JAG or GS dustin a Z28 from a 70 roll. Just my informed opinion, considering we both own luxury & F-body's.

Here's some pics of the jag: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/420806

Last edited by 96SilverRam; 02-29-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:09 AM

All I can tell you is that I owned a lightly modded 94 Z28 and I now own a 99 GS400 (see sig) with no power-adding mods.
after 100 or so my GS4 would have absolutely left my Z in the dust.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
Tell ya what... if you want to do the legwork in finding me somebody who owns a 93-95 Z28 w/ no or light mods (what I meant when I said light was hypertech programming and aftermarket muffler (some others, but none performance related) in the Memphis area that would like to run me on the highway and I'll be more than willing.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Tell ya what... if you want to do the legwork in finding me somebody who owns a 93-95 Z28 w/ no or light mods (what I meant when I said light was hypertech programming and aftermarket muffler (some others, but none performance related) in the Memphis area that would like to run me on the highway and I'll be more than willing.
Ok, I will post it in the Lounge!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by robvas
Didn't your car run like total **** and only turn a mid 14?

A stock, in-tune LT1 would walk your Lexus down, highway or not.
Yup... my Z28 ran mid 14s. Then again that's what pretty much every stock LT1 Z28 I've seen at my local track runs.

I guess we'll see if anybody responds to my thread.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:52 AM

if youre only running 98 MPH then i dont see you walking any LT1 maybe running even with them for a while but even then,the F-Body should have better aerodynamics.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by MauriSSio
if youre only running 98 MPH then i dont see you walking any LT1 maybe running even with them for a while but even then,the F-Body should have better aerodynamics.
The 98 MPH in my sig is just a cartest simulation.. it reports right about the same trap speed for the Z28 as well. It's a very conservative program that assumes very average drivers, average conditions, average run, etc.

The GS4, strangely enough, is actually more aerodynamic than the 93-96 Camaro (not sure about the T/A or 98+ models)
Old 03-02-2004, 02:03 PM

is it?whats the frontal area and drag coefficiency of the GS 400?
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by MauriSSio
is it?whats the frontal area and drag coefficiency of the GS 400?
If I remember correctly the frontal area is 23 sq ft and the cD is .28

93-95 f-bodies, if I remember correctly are 22 sq ft and .34 cD
Old 03-02-2004, 02:28 PM

whered you get these numbers???

Quick Reply: me vs a gs400 (too close for comfort)