Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

me vs a gs400 (too close for comfort)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 02:03 PM

me vs a gs400 (too close for comfort)

On my way to work this morning around 4 am I come across a gs400 (don't know the year) I normally wouldn't pick a race with a known slower car but I NEVER run into anything and he seemed playfull .
We are on a one lane road, he's in front and proceeds to get on it since he heard my car. I follow suit and sloooowly catch up ok I was thinking, that wasn't fun. I did a quick fly by were it splits into a two lane road to see if he really wanted to play, I let him catch up and it was on. I take off in my dead spot (about 80mph) and take it up to 120 ish and he's about 1 to 1 and a half cars behind me
I notice the light is red up ahead and we both stop and talk for a sec before pulling into the gas station. I asked if it was stock and he told me it was. We pull into the gas station and chat for a bit, I told him my mods and we both complimented each others car
I thought it was over, I pull out of the gas station, pull a u-turn and he follows me, I'm already in the left turn lane and he comes next to me asking if I wanna go! I obliged and he gets me out of the hole by a car and a half and I didn't pass him ti'll about 80ish and put 1 or 2 cars on him by 120. THIS CAR CAN'T BE STOCK
Old 02-26-2004, 02:32 PM

What gears do you have? He must have some significant mods!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:34 PM

the stock 2.73's, but still that shouldn't matter that much unless he was modded (which he said he wasn't) for all he knows he could've purchased the car already modded and thinks it is still stock.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:51 PM

Some people have put the turbo Supra motors in the Lexus cars since they use the NA version of the motor (300 series) but the 400 is a V8 and I haven't heard of a swap into one of those. It is possible though.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by LeadSled1
Some people have put the turbo Supra motors in the Lexus cars since they use the NA version of the motor (300 series) but the 400 is a V8 and I haven't heard of a swap into one of those. It is possible though.
I was honestly waiting for him to say he had a turbo, but as soon as he said he was stock it felt as if someone throw a cinder-block at my noggin and my car was running on 5 cylinders.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by robvas
2.73s + cam might be bad news...

how big of a stall?

Have you had your car to the drag strip?

2800rpm stall, I haven't been to the strip since the cam install, it actually opens up next month so I should be up there to get some times hopefully after my head swap! before the cam My car went 13.9 with a 2.4 60ft at 101. not making excuses but my opti was crap. so I know it's not a slouch by all means
Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 PM

Did you ever hear his car? Because if you did you would have probably heard a bov if he has an aftermarket turbo. Yea people always stretch the truth about their car. My friend with a 95 civic with cai, and full exhaust raced another 95 civic that was "stock" but my friend got smoked by about 2 cars within 30 mph. We found out he had a stock b18 motor. So he was "stock" but not for his car.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by BiGGinZ
Did you ever hear his car? Because if you did you would have probably heard a bov if he has an aftermarket turbo. Yea people always stretch the truth about their car. My friend with a 95 civic with cai, and full exhaust raced another 95 civic that was "stock" but my friend got smoked by about 2 cars within 30 mph. We found out he had a stock b18 motor. So he was "stock" but not for his car.

at WOT I probably wouldn't hear the earth break in two gotta love cutouts
Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 PM

I believe your story is entirely possible, and I also believe if he told you he was stock that he was. There aren't really many power-adding mods for a GS4 since most aftermarket bolt-ons aren't all that much more efficient than the stock parts. GS4 owners don't start making real gains until you start talking S/C, T/C, or nitrous, at which point a well-designed motor can produce upwards of 1000-1500 horsepower.

I've never heard of a GS4 owner swapping in the 2JZ-GTE, but I have heard of plenty of people buying the GS300 and running a turbo setup (since the 300 has the 2JZ-GT)

All I can tell you is that I owned a lightly modded 94 Z28 and I now own a 99 GS400 (see sig) with no power-adding mods.

My Z28 would definitely take the jump to 30... probably all the way up to 60 or 70... but after that my GS4 would have been about even and slowly pulled away.... after 100 or so my GS4 would have absolutely left my Z in the dust.

The GS4 has a 300 horsepower DOHC 32v 4.0L V8

Realistically this is the range of stats I've seen from just about every independest source on the planet:
0-60 on a stock GS400 seems to be between 5.7 and 6.3 seconds depending on conditions, driver, etc.
1/4-mile seems to be anywhere from 13.7 @ 102.x to 14.4 @ 97.x depending on all the conditions.
Top speed is between 159 and 162 depending on conditions.

The GS430 is actually only equal in speed to the GS400... and by some reports is actually slightly slower. This is mainly due to Lexus' simultanous addition of wait when they upgraded the displacement of the motor.

Last edited by Threxx; 02-28-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Threxx

All I can tell you is that I owned a lightly modded 94 Z28 and I now own a 99 GS400 (see sig) with no power-adding mods.
My Z28 would definitely take the jump to 30... probably all the way up to 60 or 70... but after that my GS4 would have been about even and slowly pulled away.... after 100 or so my GS4 would have absolutely left my Z in the dust.
No. A mildly modded '94 Z would not be "absolutely left in the dust by a stock GS4." In fact they might be even or the Z would be pulling slightly.

1/4-mile seems to be anywhere from 13.7 @ 102.x to 14.4 @ 97.x depending on all the conditions.
Stock '94 Zs have gone as fast as mid 13s at 102 and topped out at 159+. Yours was mildly modded remember?
Old 02-28-2004, 09:03 PM

probably only feels that way because the lowend isnt all there LOL.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by MauriSSio
probably only feels that way because the lowend isnt all there LOL.
Yeah... lol! Cuz the 325 ft-lbs of torque at 3400 RPM in the GS4 is absolutely nothing compared to the whopping 325 ft-lbs of torque at 2400 RPM in the LT1.[/sarcasm]

Like I said... due to the Z28's suspension, plus its earlier torque peak... it was definitely better off the line. But I'd hardly say the GS4 has no low end.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
No. A mildly modded '94 Z would not be "absolutely left in the dust by a stock GS4." In fact they might be even or the Z would be pulling slightly.
I'm giving my opinion.
I've owned both cars for quite some time and driven both cars in almost any manner possible.

Where's your resume?

Why exactly would I be unbiased enough to say that the LT1 would take it off the line but then somehow biased in saying that the GS4 would leave it in the dust top end?
I'll also be the first to tell you that an LS1 would not only take it off the line but the GS4 would never catch up... period.

But we weren't talking about LS1s in this thread.

Stock '94 Zs have gone as fast as mid 13s at 102 and topped out at 159+. Yours was mildly modded remember?
*sigh*
Yep... I'm sure they have. I'm sure plenty of cars have gone faster than other cars just like 'em. I'm more interested in the average performance of both cars if you just picked them off the street with equal drivers in stock form.

Yes, I do remember mine was mildly modded... and it still wouldn't have done 159 MPH. Believe me... I tried a couple of times (yes I was young and stupid) and I couldn't quite make it past 150... which is pretty substantial in terms of top speed where 10MPH means the difference between a plain ol' C5 and a Z06.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:52 AM

I believe your story is entirely possible, and I also believe if he told you he was stock that he was. There aren't really many power-adding mods for a GS4 since most aftermarket bolt-ons aren't all that much more efficient than the stock parts. GS4 owners don't start making real gains until you start talking S/C, T/C, or nitrous, at which point a well-designed motor can produce upwards of 1000-1500 horsepower.

I've never heard of a GS4 owner swapping in the 2JZ-GTE, but I have heard of plenty of people buying the GS300 and running a turbo setup (since the 300 has the 2JZ-GT)

Realistically this is the range of stats I've seen from just about every independest source on the planet:
0-60 on a stock GS400 seems to be between 5.7 and 6.3 seconds depending on conditions, driver, etc.

The GS430 is actually only equal in speed to the GS400... and by some reports is actually slightly slower. This is mainly due to Lexus' simultanous addition of wait when they upgraded the displacement of the motor.

I don't see a GS400 or 430 leaving a midly modded Z28 at any speed. I have personally raced a couple different GS400/430 with my S-type JAG (32V DOHC V8) and have beat all 3 of them. Even when my WS6 was bone stock it still would have spanked my JAG at at speed.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:42 AM

What cam are you running?

Quick Reply: me vs a gs400 (too close for comfort)