Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

How Will My Car Do VS A Lightly Modded LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 PM

How Will My Car Do VS A Lightly Modded LS1?

Mods are in sig, I haven't got my car put back together yet, but a guy I know keeps running his mouth about how fast his car is (99 TA w/lid, Hooker LTs, ORY, Magnaflow Catback, Nitto DRs) A good friend of mine raced him with his 93 fox body - stock bottom end with AFR 180s (I think), cam, rockers, gears, equal length headers, OR h-pipe, and DRs and beat him, but it was close (fox hooked and the TA didn't so the fox let him catch back up then got back in it)

I'm just getting sick of this guy with the TA running his mouth and he can't hardly drive his car, all he does is get in and basically floor it but its going to run low 12s for his first time at the track he keeps telling me If my car will hook decent what is your prediction? I won't wait for him to hook, if I get traction I'm gone and I won't give him a chance like my buddy did with his fox.

I just finally got a set of 17s and need to get tires and am thinking DRs like the MTs, but I don't want to spend $300+ for them to wear out in a few thousand miles so I was thinking of getting DRs for my salad shooters and throwing them on if I'm planning on racing and leaving the 17s with street tires when I'm just cruising.

But let me know what you think would happen, I'm still going to race him even if I may get beat since I feel that I'm a better driver and I think I'll have a faster car.

BTW I'm planning on breaking everything in before I go out and beat on my car. Just an FYI
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM

You will win. Plain and simple, now go tag his ***.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro
You will win. Plain and simple, now go tag his ***.
HAHA I have to get it together first I kind of thought it would go that way, but I know that the LS1s are no joke
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Well, I've got almost the exact same setup as your friend's car ... lid, LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, DR's ... and I can pretty much guarantee you it's no LOW 12-second car . Mid-high 12's, maybe/probably. Also, is his an A4 or M6? When mine was still an A4, and had 4.10's, I could cut 13.0's. I've also beaten several Fox bodies (some stock, some modded), so I'm thinking your buddy probably can't drive worth a crap?? (whether it's an A4 and he just doesn't know how to launch, or if it's an M6 and he can't launch and/or shift at all?!?! )

For me, it's a bit of a guessing game to predict what your car will run, but you've done a lot of work, obviously, so I would think you've probably got a solid 12-second car there, easily ... and if your friend can't drive, he may only get ~13's out of his?

Chances are you'll take the win, IMO. LS1's can be beat . Although it hasn't happened to me too often!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 PM

I think you should have him.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:20 PM

You will take him hands down. If you are unsure about it, throw a 100 shot on it to make sure
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
You will take him hands down. If you are unsure about it, throw a 100 shot on it to make sure
I'm actually thinking about a 125 shot after everything is broke in (not broken LOL)

But a little more info, the guy with the LS1 doesn't have gears and is an auto. And he really can't drive all that well.

The guy with the TA raced another friend of mine with an 81 firebird with a nitrous built small block, nitrous cut cam, cage, gears, slicks, LTs, yadda yadda yadda.

But anyways guys with the '81 gave the TA the hit and the TA pulled ahead about 3 cars and then the '81 went past him and beat him by 3-4 cars in a 1/4 miles race. Mind you that the '81 wasn't spraying and both cars hooked halfway decent

I think my chances are looking better and better and once I get the cash for a CPT tranny so I can shift at WOT I will deffinately get a vid of me blowing the TA away

Thanks for the input guys I'll let you know what happens when my car is back together
Old 04-14-2007, 06:06 AM

With the latest information you just gave, I would say you will win. Or at least thats where the smart money would be bet
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 AM

Heh, A4, not geared, no stall ... he'll be lucky to get a 12.anything! And seeing as LT1's are capable of running into the 13's already (not far behind LS1's) and now you've got a stall, gears, and MOTOR WORK to your LT1, I think you've got this one in the bag .
Old 04-14-2007, 10:26 AM

His setup is good for more than 12s. I would say that will his head work, intake, and cam ect.... he is in the 11s. He has ALOT done to that car.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SSlither
I think you should take him, although I am confused as to why the fox had a chance in hell with him?
The fox hooked and it was a short race about an 1/8th or so. The guy with the fox is a really good driver and runs low 13s (13.1-13.3) consistant (something like 12 passes in a row in 95* heat and a greesey track)

Honestly if they were to race again I think that the TA woud get him by a car, but it would be really close.

Thanks for the compliments about my build guys I honestly appreciate it. But I know that the tranny is my weak point right now, but I can't afford to get it done right now so I'm going to be easy on it and get some miles on the motor and during the winter the tranny will go to CPT to get the pro race build and then I'll see how long my 10 bolt will hold up with DRs LOL

But I should have everything back together in about 3 weeks if my motor gets done when its suppost to. But I'll deffinately post up a result when we decide to race.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Good luck.
His car should run very low 13s to mid-high 12s.

Your car might be capable of low 12s. I suspect not 11s, at least not without the juice.

However... reaction off the line and how you each hook will determine the winner. I beat all 3 LS1s I ran a week ago at the track... even the low 11 turbo one. Why? I launched well and hooked, and he blew his intake hose at the line, running 13.3. I ran a 12.81, within .03 of my other runs.

Anybody can win in any one race. A consistent car well driven will win MORE OFTEN than an inconsistent car with a poor driver... regardless of relative potential.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28
Good luck.
His car should run very low 13s to mid-high 12s.

Your car might be capable of low 12s. I suspect not 11s, at least not without the juice.

However... reaction off the line and how you each hook will determine the winner. I beat all 3 LS1s I ran a week ago at the track... even the low 11 turbo one. Why? I launched well and hooked, and he blew his intake hose at the line, running 13.3. I ran a 12.81, within .03 of my other runs.

Anybody can win in any one race. A consistent car well driven will win MORE OFTEN than an inconsistent car with a poor driver... regardless of relative potential.
I agree with you 100%, its not always the car, but the driver. You can have everything done to your car, but if you can't drive it, its still slow IMHO
Old 05-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Well, I've got almost the exact same setup as your friend's car ... lid, LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, DR's ... and I can pretty much guarantee you it's no LOW 12-second car . Mid-high 12's, maybe/probably. Also, is his an A4 or M6? When mine was still an A4, and had 4.10's, I could cut 13.0's. I've also beaten several Fox bodies (some stock, some modded), so I'm thinking your buddy probably can't drive worth a crap?? (whether it's an A4 and he just doesn't know how to launch, or if it's an M6 and he can't launch and/or shift at all?!?! )

For me, it's a bit of a guessing game to predict what your car will run, but you've done a lot of work, obviously, so I would think you've probably got a solid 12-second car there, easily ... and if your friend can't drive, he may only get ~13's out of his?

Chances are you'll take the win, IMO. LS1's can be beat . Although it hasn't happened to me too often!!

Not to be an *** but, he would flat rape you if his car runs like it should.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikie
With the latest information you just gave, I would say you will win. Or at least thats where the smart money would be bet

People run atleast low 12's with the mods that lt1 has, so why was it any question for you?

Quick Reply: How Will My Car Do VS A Lightly Modded LS1?