Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Guess what i just ate for dinner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM

Guess what i just ate for dinner

I got a new job near campus a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of college guys like me. So naturally the most talked baout things are cars, girls, and booze. Now that everyone knows me and my car everyone is askign about it. So i am talking to one of the guys there and he tells me hes got a fast prelude and to which i reaspond theres such a thing as a fast prelude? SO either way he tells me he gotten like 2 tickets from the cops for noisy muffler. So i was like i wanna hear your car after work cause it must be loud cause i havent got one yet. So after work he pulls up and revs his engine and its a typ fart can ad really ot that loud. So i turned mine on and watched hsi face when the whole shook when reving. He like well u wanna race? Im like hells yeah buddy. So we pull down on to 460 ( 4 lane highway) and do the three horns and go from like a 20mph roll. I pull on him right away and i am 5 or 6 cars easy before the 4th gear shift. We slow down are go from a 30 and a 40. Everytime i killed him like it was my job. He pulls up beside me and does a little bow. I say goodnight and head back home. Overall a great time and a good *** kicking. I also just chugged a red bull so i am really wired and might go back out. His car btw had the h22 engine and intake and excaust work done. "Light weight rims" or whatever that means. He had a manual as well.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:30 PM

Re: Guess what i just ate for dinner

Always good to give import owners a reality check.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by VTsullyman
So i am talking to one of the guys there and he tells me hes got a fast prelude and to which i reaspond theres such a thing as a fast prelude?
Any reason your a *****? I don't see you mentioning the part about he was talking smack and you bust his chops because he has a Prelude?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

H22 Preludes have good SOTP feel. VTEC kicks in hard at 6000 rpm. It feels and sounds like a shot of nitrous.

But no, they're not really all that fast.

Incidentally, the hard VTEC kick tells me that a lot more power would have been available below 6000rpm if it had switched over sooner -- I'm not sure what's up with that design decision. A lot of Honda guys get their PCM tuned so that VTEC kicks in at a lower RPM. It smooths out the powerband quite a bit and adds a lot of area under the power curve, but it doesn't change peak power.

Nice kills; way to put a ricer in his place.

Your line about fast Preludes might have been dick-ish, but it's hard to know without having heard the way you say it. Either way, it looks like he was a gracious loser and he may have gained some respect for domestics. Good job!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 PM

It was said in a joking manner guys. We were both makign fun of the others class of car if you will. He was ad still is a cool guy but know he just has a goal to work towards. We both said from the start he had a auto x car while i had a strip car. Its really apples and banannas. Sorry next time i will be more clear when i say something. I was a little wired and on my way ut the door.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:30 PM

Bah, there was nothing wrong with the comment about fast Preludes. I jerk around with my buddy all the time about his Mustang and how it's "not a real car". I asked him if he wanted to drive my car, so he could finally get the feel of a real car. LOL.....it's all in fun.

Some people gotta just relax......
Old 03-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Any reason your a *****? I don't see you mentioning the part about he was talking smack and you bust his chops because he has a Prelude?
Kid who could never take jokes in school?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JCCamaro
Kid who could never take jokes in school?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM

You are another one that fell for the idea that having the vtec kick in sooner will give the honda more power and a better powerband, but this is wrong...the vtec kicking in later is actually what will provide the better power and faster acceleration. It is contrary to what makes sense, but to me a small displacment motor without forced induction or nitrous is pretty much a waste of time anyway.

"Incidentally, the hard VTEC kick tells me that a lot more power would have been available below 6000rpm if it had switched over sooner -- I'm not sure what's up with that design decision. A lot of Honda guys get their PCM tuned so that VTEC kicks in at a lower RPM. It smooths out the powerband quite a bit and adds a lot of area under the power curve, but it doesn't change peak power"
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by VTsullyman
It was said in a joking manner guys. We were both makign fun of the others class of car if you will. He was ad still is a cool guy but know he just has a goal to work towards. We both said from the start he had a auto x car while i had a strip car. Its really apples and banannas. Sorry next time i will be more clear when i say something. I was a little wired and on my way ut the door.

You really don't have a strip car...the gears are the only thing that make it more drag race friendly..but its an M6 so its negligible. With some sway bars and springs as well as some sticky tires you'd be embarrassing him in Auto-x also, as long as it isnt a complete hamster**** habitrail course.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by v8hunter
You are another one that fell for the idea that having the vtec kick in sooner will give the honda more power and a better powerband, but this is wrong...the vtec kicking in later is actually what will provide the better power and faster acceleration. It is contrary to what makes sense, but to me a small displacment motor without forced induction or nitrous is pretty much a waste of time anyway.
VTEC is designed to improve high-rpm power. Obviously it shouldn't be engaged at low rpms, but I didn't say low. I said lower. Like maybe 5000 instead of 6000. Possibly even 4500. I don't know, because I've never tuned an H22. But I have tuned a D16 (SOHC 1.6L, used in older Civics). Lots of Honda guys get different ECUs with lower VTEC activation points for exactly this reason, and it works.

So no, I'm not wrong.