Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

challenger srt8

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM

challenger srt8

i was at the track yesterday and a guy had a new challenger srt8. i caught a few of his runs and the best i saw was a 13.62. thats pretty good for a stock car but all the magazines are testing them at like 13.0. any how i know the magazines are never really right with their times but it just seems weird that this a 2008 and my buddies stock auto 99 ws6 runs consistent 13.48 and 10 years later its still faster. i know that the biggest problem is the 4350lbs it weighs, but still. my other buddies 06 300 srt8 was running 13.2,s and thats a 4 door family sedan? anyways just wanted to say that i wasnt very impressed with its performance, even though it is a beautiful car.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Most likely the driver. You are basing your assumptions off of one persons driving ability. I have seen Cobras run 14s and that was not anywhere near their potential.

Your buddies times seem kinda high too though.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

The driver is always the biggest variable. The guys that drive for magazines are usually pretty good at getting street cars off the line on their street tires. Also, most of them don't do their testing at an actual drag strip -- they do it on regular pavement, using a GPS-based performance meter like the Racelogic VBOX.

Other variables that can play a major role in times at the track are the conditions of the track itself, the condition of the tires, burnout technique, air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, heat soak, fuel quality... the list goes on and on. All combined, those variables can make a huge difference. I've seen LS1 F-bodies run high 15's at the track.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM

The 5.7 liter (375hp) 6spd manual models are available now. It'll be interesting to see how close their times are when the auto is taken out of the equation. At over 4k lbs they're going to take a lot of power to go fast.

Funny how they rate the same engine at 390hp/402 tq in the truck but it makes less in their sports car.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 PM

i seen one at kcir and it was running 13.68@94mph .
i thought it should have been faster.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 PM

i know it has alot to do with the driver but it was automatic and stock. he wasnt doing burnouts either. it was a nice dry day with no humidity but a little on the cooler side. probably around 65.
also i was talking to my buddy today and i asked him what his 300 ran and he said 13.32, and he sold it last month and bought himself an srt8 jeep. its really nice, black with black rims. anhow he already ran it and it went 13.18. it has a programmer,cai and exhaust. he syas hes had it up to 180mph so far and that it should be good for 190mph. thas insanley fast for a suv.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 PM

I do not have 100% faith in your buddies claim. I would think that a vehicle with those aerodynamics would see "lift off" even before those speeds.

Also, Ghost. 13.6@94? That is a serious difference in trap speed to ET. There was something else most likely going on there. Did he deploy a 'chute at the 1000ft mark? If not that car was DEAD hooking and just running out of steam, unlikely.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

I wonder if there being held back by serious torque management
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by zl1dreams
i know it has alot to do with the driver but it was automatic and stock. he wasnt doing burnouts either. it was a nice dry day with no humidity but a little on the cooler side. probably around 65.
also i was talking to my buddy today and i asked him what his 300 ran and he said 13.32, and he sold it last month and bought himself an srt8 jeep. its really nice, black with black rims. anhow he already ran it and it went 13.18. it has a programmer,cai and exhaust. he syas hes had it up to 180mph so far and that it should be good for 190mph. thas insanley fast for a suv.
Wow, a 180-190mph brick - simply amazing
Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 PM

well the 300 has no aerodynamics at all and i know it topped at 174mph. i thought 180 was alot too but me buddy isnt full of ****. hes a straight shooter. he has nothing to prove about lying about how fast his jeep is, well its not really a jeep, but you get what i mean. this guy runs an 80 malibu in the 8.80s and has a dragster that he got last year that will run easy 7s, its got like 2200hp. its mental, he hasnt ran it full track yet, he says its pretty scarey at first and our track doesnt have much run off. anyway i wouldnt have posted his times or his speed if i didnt believe him. i could ask him to take me for a ride in it and video tape it for proof if you really want.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 AM

I am not doubting the potential for those speeds. I am however curious as to how the vehicle will stay planted with that much air being forced into the space under the vehicle. I would say get a video but I am sure it would be used to identify the remains of the two victims of the first Jeep in flight's crash.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Gross vehicle weight is not the curb weight. It's the weight of the car plus all fluids (full tank of gas) plus all passengers and any cargo in the truck. It's the maximum allowed weight of the vehicle. The car actually weighs about 4100 lbs - still no lightweight.

If you didn't turn off the traction control, of course it didn't even attempt to spin the wheels! As with most other cars, even turning it off it isn't truly off.

They do employ a ton of torque management in their vehicles. What's worse is they also do the most work to keep people out of their PCM too, meaning aftermarket tuners take a while and DIY tuning is nearly impossible.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I raced with a guy at the track that had the SRT-8 Jeep and it ran good. He had intake, cat back, and a PCM flash and was running 12.70s@104 mph on street tires. I thought it was great but he was disappointed and said it ran the same before the PCM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Not to knock you down a peg but have you run at a track ever? You could blow your tires off at the tree so do not say you always will win. Also I am pretty sure since you aunt drives it, that would justify calling it a real car.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 AM

If she knows to turn off the traction control she should net low 13s. You should be a good deal quicker but I'd hardly consider her car a POS. I wish any of my relatives would pick a non-cookie-cutter car.

Quick Reply: challenger srt8