Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

305 vs 4.6.. who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:06 PM

Re: 305 vs 4.6.. who would win?

Sure. So please point me to a better resource and I will gladly reference that instead.

BTW...I often use F-body.org too.

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 02-27-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM

I said $300 more for a set of alum. heads than iron heads. Not $300 total for iron heads.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
That pic was taken at Coles Country Raceway (Illinois) back in the summer of 1988 (she was driving it).

Holy cow, I've been going to CCD for about four years now! I didn't know that anyone else on the board even knew about the place. I see you're in Va. now, so you probably haven't been there in a while. Jimmy and Charlie Smith own the track now, and there's a lot of older guys' who have probably been there a long time. Maybe you knew some of them. Dave Kohler comes to mind, as does Jack Smith and Doug Kennedy. Pretty cool!

Last edited by izzyz28; 02-27-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 PM

bob im not saying they arent a good resourse but as i already said, there is a reason its updated all the time, thirdgen is actually my firstchoice for thirdgen resources, and i have been an active member over there for a long time so i know the validity of thier information.

Steve what i was saying is just for some basic port work and that around here goes for about 300$ coincidently the same number you used in your example on how he should get alluminum heads over iron for 300$ more
Old 02-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by izzyz28
Holy cow, I've been going to CCD for about four years now! I didn't know that anyone else on the board even knew about the place. I see you're in Va. now, so you probably haven't been there in a while. Jimmy and Charlie Smith own the track now, and there's a lot of older guys' who have probably been there a long time. Maybe you knew some of them. Dave Kohler comes to mind, as does Jack Smith and Doug Kennedy. Pretty cool!
LOL. Small world indeed. Don't know (or remember) those you mentioned. The only names that come to mind are Larry Lyons and son (saw them again this past summer at the Joliet NMRA race), Kim Chase, and an old friend of mine, Dale Reeder. I sort of trace my drag racing "roots" back to Coles County.

My 88 Coupe in the summer of 1990

My 88 Coupe in late fall of 1990

My favorite though was Great Lakes Dragaway. I used to go when Broadway Bob still owned it. Guess its changed by now.

Originally Posted by FIREBIRDMIKE
bob im not saying they arent a good resourse but as i already said, there is a reason its updated all the time, thirdgen is actually my firstchoice for thirdgen resources, and i have been an active member over there for a long time so i know the validity of thier information.
Ok. It goes without saying that few resources are perfect. However, when one questions a resource, it helps if they have something to back up their assertions. That's all I'm really saying.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Yes....they ran 12.89 in a stock 99 Z (killer January air in NJ) and 12.9 in an 01 SS during the summer.

FYI....next time someone doesn't believe you, show em this. I happen to have that issue as it was the first mag I was fortunate enough to be in.
I find it ironic that a secretaries car with 2.73 gears was still .15 and nearly a full mph faster than the 1LE which had the torque and rear gear advantage. I wonder what the 3.08 equipped car would have done in the race.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Y
I said $300 more for a set of alum. heads than iron heads. Not $300 total for iron heads.
Ahhh, ok. Got ya Steve-O Would it be worth it to just get my heads ported and get larger valves and stuff, or should I just look for diff. heads?

Firebirdmike.. you are right. It is VERY costly around here to get some form of damned engine work done, particularly machine work
Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Ahhh, ok. Got ya Steve-O Would it be worth it to just get my heads ported and get larger valves and stuff, or should I just look for diff. heads?

Firebirdmike.. you are right. It is VERY costly around here to get some form of damned engine work done, particularly machine work
How many miles are on the 305 motor? I would probably dump the 305 and build up a 350, or stroke a 350 to 383 or 396. I don't think the 305 heads interchange with the 350 heads. So if you spend money on the 305 then the bottom end lets go next week, you just wasted a lot of time and money. What kind of shape is the 305 bottom end in? Do a compression test and a leakdown test on it, to see if it is worth putting money into. 350s are very cheap to build.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Banned

Actually.. the engine had 197k (and still pulling strong mind you!) but I am right in the MIDDLE of rebuilding it
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Actually.. the engine had 197k (and still pulling strong mind you!) but I am right in the MIDDLE of rebuilding it
I'd sh** can the 305 and start with a 350 or stroker 350 if you want some serious power. A 350 based motor can be built very cheap.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

Like I said, I am already in the middle of rebuilding it. Hours at work are being cut SEVERLY (actually.. they are just now starting to come back up. Really slowly though
)
But the money needs to be saved for something else. I am not worried about a TON of power right yet
Old 03-02-2005, 05:28 PM

obviously if your going for a hi po set up a 350+ cubic inch motor would be where to start. All the same mods can be done to a 350 that can be done to the 305 only the 350 has the potential to get more air in and more air out, but never mind that. I have contimplated more times than i can count about a motor rebuild. I have had the LG4 blues and the L03 blues so i know how you feel, but i am telling ya the best thing to do if you want to go faster is jsut save all the thousands that it would cost you to get your to 300+hp and be able to hold it and just go buy something in a 4th gen. Iam not biased or n e thing but i mean its a whole new car. The steering feels different, the suspention is tighter and goddammit the LT1. V8 4th gens are sweet, for around 7 grand you are guaranteed atleast a 16x8 inch wheel/tire combo, a motor just shy or 300hp in a well balanced sleek shell. And is guarnateed to have 4 wheel disk brakes and posi. just my honest opinion. Its alot better off in the long run if youwhere to do things like this, i mean becouse think about it, people dont want someone elses project, they want an untouched un modified car with the same 10 year old paint that was on the carr since new, u know origional dings and dents and all (alteast i do). Think about it, chances are if someone is modifying thier car its becouse they put the car to its limits and felt it wasnt enough. Of course there is always ways to beef our car up though, dont let me crush your spirit. I am just saying you come pulling up in a 4th gen z or something you look like a guy who just spent big bucks on his car and you will have the meet to back it up.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

^My third-Gen has many historic attrbutes (Sentimental values) to ever sell it. The car needed a rebuild, so why not hop it up? I mean.. I could spend $600 and put it back to factory specs, or I could take that $600 and boost it to around 300hp. I really do know my stuff, believe me or not ( ) and this whole thread was actually about my friends 305 in his 2nd Gen (lol), but you guys were kind enough to give both of us advice all at the same time.
PLUS.. 3rd gens actually handle better than 4th gens, they weigh a LOT less, and they look a LOT cooler due to the whole age thing and boxy-type look thing, if you get my drift.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Like I said, I am already in the middle of rebuilding it. Hours at work are being cut SEVERLY (actually.. they are just now starting to come back up. Really slowly though
)
But the money needs to be saved for something else. I am not worried about a TON of power right yet
You will never have a better time to upgrade it than right now with the motor torn apart. I would sell back the 305 parts or build the short or long block and sell it. Then I would get a 350 to build. But if you are happy with the 305, we're happy.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM

on the contrary my friend, thirdgens are not lighter and do not handle better,90% of a 4th gen body if made of plastic. I know first hand, Beleive me i hear you atachment to your thirdgen. I have 2 thirdgens in my garage and its the 4th gens that are stored on remote locations so which one do i love more? well obviously the thirdgen but no way no how is there a third gen that handles better than a 4th gen stock for stock. I used to say that too until i acctually drove one. I am telling ya man go over to a dealer (used) plop your as$ behind the wheel of a 93 and up z28 and come back and tell us how much better thirdgens can handle, remember i am not busting your ***** becouse i really love thirdgens better but 4th gen v 8 cars are machines

Quick Reply: 305 vs 4.6.. who would win?