Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

05 GTO's ..how fast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Re: 05 GTO's ..how fast?

Originally Posted by yellavette
Makes me feel better about the 04. I've only got a few bolt ons and it's making 319 rwhp. Why pay an extra 10K for 11-20 more rwhp?

Jason
Yea LS2 is nice but your probably right
Old 05-07-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
Been seeing alot of 12.8-9's @ 107-109 stock
That ET/MPH sounds reasonable, but I have heard of maybe one or two doing it. Where do you get "alot" from?

Originally Posted by robb4964
Maybe the pre-04's but the 05's should trap between 109-113 at least. 107 is a horrible trap for a 400 HP car.
Power-to-weight is the issue - not just HP. What's the highest MPH you know of for an 05? With link, please.

My rough internet-racing numbers show that a 3900 lb car with 400 HP should run right at 108-109 mph. To go 113 would take ~440 HP. Numbers are flywheel, BTW.

Originally Posted by robb4964
It weighs just a little more then a 03-04 cobra. And they have round 400HP..But they trap like 111-113 stock.
Couple of things.

The weight difference is ~65 lbs. However, stock 03/04 Cobra's typically put down 365-375 RWHP stock. 2005 M6 GTOs seem to averaging ~340 RWHP. That's about a 30 RWHP difference. That, combined with small weight difference, should pretty easily account for the 3-4 mph difference in track speeds.

Additionally, when the air gets good and cold at the track, the blower car benefits more from less heat, and will actually build more boost, thus making more power, thus running quicker (there have been some stock Cobras in the 113-114 mph range in cold air).

The 05's shouldnt trap no less then 109 for any reason as far as im concerned.
Driver, track conditions, air, and TM all have a large effect.

An Automatic might dyno 330 but a manual shouldnt dyno no less then 340 Assuming a 15% drive train loss. It just dont sound right.
One reason it puzzles me is My LS1 TA is Loaded with every weight bearing option there is and I was trapping 108 stock. My car weighs somewhere around..maybe a few hundred pounds less then a Goat but if you added the additional weight I would have still trapped 105.
I dunno. Ill wait till the mid season and see what the loacls are running and trapping. One of my friends said one trapped 110 the other night.
Ill just have to see for myself.
Depending upon the year, your LS1 T/A made somewhere between 330 and 350 HP from the factory, had less weight, a solid axle (easier to launch cleanly), and no TM. Makes sense (to me) that you would trap that good.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:06 AM

That ET/MPH sounds reasonable, but I have heard of maybe one or two doing it. Where do you get "alot" from?
Every good time ive seen so far was within those traps...Mostly on LS1GTO.com and I seen two at Englishtown so far...IMO if you can run that at Etown then you can run that anywhere...Atco would be a different story
Old 05-07-2005, 09:16 AM

I spend quite a bit of time on LS1GTO.com. Could you like some runs with those ETs please?

FYI - E-town is easily one of the fastest tracks in the country.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I spend quite a bit of time on LS1GTO.com. Could you like some runs with those ETs please?

FYI - E-town is easily one of the fastest tracks in the country.
Atco's 2-3 tenths quicker on any given day...ask anyone from jersey about that.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24474

Theres one, more where that came from

Last edited by Antz97ZNJ; 05-07-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Couple More

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24278 (Auto car to boot)

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17985
Old 05-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Ummm....that's one (1) car running 12.98 - not a lot running 12.8-12.9. And it was on Nittos.

The car that went 108.x had some of those infamous "free mods."

Both of the cars that went 107 were on Nittos (one had a thermostat too, but I don't consider that a "mod").

I disagree totally on Atco being consistently 2-3 tenths faster than E-town (I've raced at both many times), but that is mostly opinion anyway.

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 05-07-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Power-to-weight is the issue - not just HP. What's the highest MPH you know of for an 05? With link, please.

My rough internet-racing numbers show that a 3900 lb car with 400 HP should run right at 108-109 mph. To go 113 would take ~440 HP. Numbers are flywheel, BTW.

Couple of things.

The weight difference is ~65 lbs. However, stock 03/04 Cobra's typically put down 365-375 RWHP stock. 2005 M6 GTOs seem to averaging ~340 RWHP. That's about a 30 RWHP difference. That, combined with small weight difference, should pretty easily account for the 3-4 mph difference in track speeds.

Additionally, when the air gets good and cold at the track, the blower car benefits more from less heat, and will actually build more boost, thus making more power, thus running quicker (there have been some stock Cobras in the 113-114 mph range in cold air).

Driver, track conditions, air, and TM all have a large effect.

Depending upon the year, your LS1 T/A made somewhere between 330 and 350 HP from the factory, had less weight, a solid axle (easier to launch cleanly), and no TM. Makes sense (to me) that you would trap that good.
Bob, I understand the weight is a huge factor in the trap speeds. I guess I never realized how heavy they are.
As far as High dyno's for the Cobras..They come stock with aluminum flywheels wich plays a very big roll in Good dyno numbers. Im not even going to explain why becasue your a smart guy so Im sure you already know/knew.

My car was never easy to launch. My trap speed was with a Babied sixty so I could have pulled a better one had I came off the line.
As far as Factory HP...My LS1 had to be making a little more then 350 Stock to trap as high as it did.
For the stock Cobra's trapping 113-114..I seen one trap 115 !!!! It was pretty cool outside but, Still, Had to be making some pretty serious power, to be running such a High trap.Thing still had a wondow sticker facing out the window. Im still amazed at how much of a difference 2 identical cars can run.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Ummm....that's one (1) car running 12.98 - not a lot running 12.8-12.9. And it was on Nittos.

The car that went 108.x had some of those infamous "free mods."

Both of the cars that went 107 were on Nittos (one had a thermostat too, but I don't consider that a "mod").

I disagree totally on Atco being consistently 2-3 tenths faster than E-town (I've raced at both many times), but that is mostly opinion anyway.
If you think the 6spd LS2 GT0 isnt a high 12 second car and trapping at those speeds your sorely mistaken, 04 have hit 105-106 w/ atleast on average 30-40 less rwhp . Im not gonna sit here and nit pick about nittos ,"free mods", and a thermostat , last time I checked nittos really didnt increase trap speeds..feel free to post in the eastern section about atco being faster, many friends have ran there and ran 2-3 tenths quicker...even the moderator Brian96z will vouch for it...maybe its changed now w/ Etowns new surface but Ive yet to run on the new pavement, some think the differance was attributed to the higher volume of Etown racers, others have said that the end of atco's track slants slightly downhill... maybe it only occurs on TnT nights and not your fancy nmra events. Just outta curiousity when was the last non sanctioned night you ran at either atco or etown?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 PM

Im sure my opinion doesnt mean much to you as it shouldnt, you dont know me....maybe you'll take a more experienced racers though.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350734

Go down to Project Z28's 4th post of that thread, he seems to think he could squeeze out another 2 tenths at atco also...maybe its just us local guys that heard of this but im not making it up I had a buddy w/ a 93 LT1 that would run 14.0-14.1's the 5-6 times I hit englishtown w/ him consistantly (ultimateorangeSS also knows of this story) and what ya know the one day he decided to hit Atco he was running 13.7's.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 PM

not like bob to let posts go unanswered.hell be BAK.

a guy on ls1tech claimed to get a 13.0 out of his stock 05 A4 GTO.trap was 106.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318139

as far as etown and atco go i cant speak from experience.the only time i was at atco it started to rain.most people i have spoke to claim its a faster track.not all though.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
If you think the 6spd LS2 GT0 isnt a high 12 second car and trapping at those speeds your sorely mistaken, 04 have hit 105-106 w/ atleast on average 30-40 less rwhp .
Where did I say any of this stuff? You've been caught claiming something that you can't back up, and now you're starting to backtrack. You wanna go through this again? It was no big deal at all, and now you've gotten yourself boxed into a corner and are getting defensive.

First, I said I think that 12.8-12.9 for a properly driven stock 05 GTO is about right. However, I hadn't heard of "alot" doing it - as you had claimed. Nor had I heard of "alot" running 107-109, as you claimed. You said you had read about them on LS1GTO.com. I asked you to post links. You did, but none of the cars ran the numbers you claimed. It's not my fault dude. If I may suggest, next time have your ducks in a row before posting.

Im not gonna sit here and nit pick about nittos ,"free mods", and a thermostat , last time I checked nittos really didnt increase trap speeds..
I'm sure you're not going to "nit pick", because doing so makes you look bad.

And you bet your *** nitto's can increase trap speed. Regardless, none of the car ran the ET's you said they did in stock trim. Even given the Nittos, only one (1) ran a 12.9 - far from "alot" having run 12.8-12.9.

feel free to post in the eastern section about atco being faster, many friends have ran there and ran 2-3 tenths quicker...even the moderator Brian96z will vouch for it...
Why don't you? And then you come back here with your smiling happy face and tell me about all the guys that agree with you.

I won't dispute that folks might run a bit quicker at Atco (everything else being equal - which is virtually impossible to measure). However, 2-3 tenths is hogwash.

maybe its changed now w/ Etowns new surface but Ive yet to run on the new pavement, some think the differance was attributed to the higher volume of Etown racers, others have said that the end of atco's track slants slightly downhill... maybe it only occurs on TnT nights and not your fancy nmra events.
Cute.

And what does the number of racers have to do with how fast a track is?

Just outta curiousity when was the last non sanctioned night you ran at either atco or etown?
E-town Oct or Nov of 2001. Atco, non-NMRA, probably 99. Not sure of the relevance there either....unless they added the downhill portion to Atco since I last ran the NMRA race there, but I digress.

Im sure my opinion doesnt mean much to you as it shouldnt
I wasn't arguing opinion. If you have facts to back it up (mainly the GTO ET thing above), then I have no issues.

you dont know me....maybe you'll take a more experienced racers though.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350734

Go down to Project Z28's 4th post of that thread, he seems to think he could squeeze out another 2 tenths at atco also...
You mean this quote? "I figure Atco with similar weather and the exhaust open... I could squeeze an 11.6x out of her."

Ok. Running open exhaust and staging shallow could pick him up something over .12. Imagine that.

maybe its just us local guys that heard of this but im not making it up I had a buddy w/ a 93 LT1 that would run 14.0-14.1's the 5-6 times I hit englishtown w/ him consistantly (ultimateorangeSS also knows of this story) and what ya know the one day he decided to hit Atco he was running 13.7's.
So now Atco is 3 to 4 tenths quicker, not 2-3?

Uncle. Have a nice day.
Bob

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 05-08-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 AM

Where did I say any of this stuff? You've been caught claiming something that you can't back up, and now you're starting to backtrack. You wanna go through this again? It was no big deal at all, and now you've gotten yourself boxed into a corner and are getting defensive.

First, I said I think that 12.8-12.9 for a properly driven stock 05 GTO is about right. However, I hadn't heard of "alot" doing it - as you had claimed. Nor had I heard of "alot" running 107-109, as you claimed. You said you had read about them on LS1GTO.com. I asked you to post links. You did, but none of the cars ran the numbers you claimed. It's not my fault dude. If I may suggest, next time have your ducks in a row before posting.

I'm sure you're not going to "nit pick", because doing so makes you look bad.

And you bet your *** nitto's can increase trap speed. Regardless, none of the car ran the ET's you said they did in stock trim. Even given the Nittos, only one (1) ran a 12.9 - far from "alot" having run 12.8-12.9.

Why don't you? And then you come back here with your smiling happy face and tell me about all the guys that agree with you.

I won't dispute that folks might run a bit quicker at Atco (everything else being equal - which is virtually impossible to measure). However, 2-3 tenths is hogwash.

Cute.

And what does the number of racers have to do with how fast a track is?

E-town Oct or Nov of 2001. Atco, non-NMRA, probably 99. Not sure of the relevance there either....unless they added the downhill portion to Atco since I last ran the NMRA race there, but I digress.

I wasn't arguing opinion. If you have facts to back it up (mainly the GTO ET thing above), then I have no issues.

You mean this quote? "I figure Atco with similar weather and the exhaust open... I could squeeze an 11.6x out of her."

Ok. Running open exhaust and staging shallow could pick him up something over .12. Imagine that.

So now Atco is 3 to 4 tenths quicker, not 2-3?

Uncle. Have a nice day.
Bob
and Ill leave it at that...have a nice day nephew
Old 05-08-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm pretty sure the auto '05 GTO's are advertised as being faster than the M6. I know they are for 0-60 not sure about 1/4 mile though.

TONY
Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by toneloc12345
I'm pretty sure the auto '05 GTO's are advertised as being faster than the M6. I know they are for 0-60 not sure about 1/4 mile though.

TONY
Yea they gotta be but the guy read it right from the pamphlet...thats odd