Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Your Opinion On Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Your Opinion On Rear Suspension

1993 LT1 Z28 Clone N/A .040 over / heads / cam CC305 ( V6 convert)
M6
Spohn Dana 60 4:10 / Panhard / Torque Arm / Edelbrok box control arm /
Spohn Relocation Bracket

Goal - keep the car a street/strip

Want to replace only the rear shocks / springs

I want to spend less than 1000 dollars so air ride is out of the question

Do I go with a new spring / shock set // or go with coil overs

I have looked at Strange's offerings / QA1 etc...

I would like to make sure the body wont hit the rear or tires on launch but I believe the anti squat brackets will fix that once they are welded in.

What would you do ?

I dont know how much HP the car has so I won't guess.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Re: Your Opinion On Rear Suspension

IMO
Eitehr use a set of air bags in the rear or a set of Strange or QA1 shocks, single adjustable will be fine at your power level and goals.
they dont make a good rear spring for the 4th gens, we use the stockers all the time.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
IMO
Eitehr use a set of air bags in the rear or a set of Strange or QA1 shocks, single adjustable will be fine at your power level and goals.
they dont make a good rear spring for the 4th gens, we use the stockers all the time.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Airbags? What do those cost
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM

About $90
depending on how much your car squats this may work, if it squats more than these can handle it will need shocks.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:00 PM

About $90
depending on how much your car squats this may work, if it squats more than these can handle it will need shocks.
can you send me a link?

I'm nervous the way you phrased that, the car hits pretty good at launch and I have a feeling it would overwhelm this system the way that was worded eeek: )

Currently I cannot make heads or tails of coil overs / spring/shock .. i keep reading and I cannot find a clear explanation - am I missing a thread . I'm sure I am we have amazing members on this board.

Last edited by tritonium; 09-14-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Generally, you don't want it to squat at all. That's why a set of tubular LCA's and a pair of LCA relocation brackets will be useful to prevent the squat.

Look over my mod's list for one solution to suspension issues.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Generally, you don't want it to squat at all. That's why a set of tubular LCA's and a pair of LCA relocation brackets will be useful to prevent the squat.

Look over my mod's list for one solution to suspension issues.

Thanks Fred . I haven't gotten the lca relocation brackets on yet and am sure that will help a lot. I looked at your mods list first before posting anything... You have helped me an insane amount this past decade thanks so much to you . Shbox as well as everyone else... I see your setup but car is much more built than mine and I believe is used more at the track.correct me if I'm wrong.

I like to drive this car around town and on the highway and don't want anything too nasty on the spine.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

If it was driven at all any more, it would be at the track, but my job (5-1/2 days & 60 hours a week) has pretty much prevented me from doing anything with the car for the past few years. The ride is fine. A bit harsh, but nothing that would rattle your fillings.

I did have air bags in it for a while, before Steve Spohn did his first "drag" sway bar install on it. Actually, all you really need is one bag in the passenger side. I think I sold one of mine for $15 a few years back, but I don't know where the other one is.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If it was driven at all any more, it would be at the track, but my job (5-1/2 days & 60 hours a week) has pretty much prevented me from doing anything with the car for the past few years. The ride is fine. A bit harsh, but nothing that would rattle your fillings.

I did have air bags in it for a while, before Steve Spohn did his first "drag" sway bar install on it. Actually, all you really need is one bag in the passenger side. I think I sold one of mine for $15 a few years back, but I don't know where the other one is.
So when it comes down to it...

Strange shocks and replacement stock springs

Or

Qa1 coil overs
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Administrator

The stock springs work fine. The only reason I run the Eibach Drag Launch springs is because a buddy of mine wanted my stock rears for his 8-second 30th SS Camaro convertible. Stockers worked fine on that car, even at over 1,300HP. He ran Afco shocks. I took his Eibachs. The Eibachs also seem to sit a bit taller than stock, which helps with the 28" slicks
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Agree, the rear end should not squat at all.
The bags are a cheap fix, if they work, have you had the car on the track and seen pix or vids of it to see how bad the squat is?? you may not have an issue....

Strange and QA1 both make a bolt in shock, so you do not have to do a full coil over set up in the rear, just some 12way shocks will work just fine. if you need them.

NOTE: once you have the relocation brackets on, you will need to make sure the rear end is centered Front to Rear in the car and if not it needs to be changed, this is usually done with adjustable LCAs.

I would put the relocation brackets on first since you have them and then run it and see what happens.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Cool

Do rear springs ever wear out - car is from 1993
Agree, the rear end should not squat at all.
The bags are a cheap fix, if they work, have you had the car on the track and seen pix or vids of it to see how bad the squat is?? you may not have an issue....

Strange and QA1 both make a bolt in shock, so you do not have to do a full coil over set up in the rear, just some 12way shocks will work just fine. if you need them.

NOTE: once you have the relocation brackets on, you will need to make sure the rear end is centered Front to Rear in the car and if not it needs to be changed, this is usually done with adjustable LCAs.

I would put the relocation brackets on first since you have them and then run it and see what happens.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM

They can fatigue
Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Are you looking to lower the rear any, or keep it stock height?
For stock height just a set of strange single adjustable rear shocks, I'd also make sure the rear upper spring isolators are in great shape and the bump stops; otherwise replace them.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluz28
Are you looking to lower the rear any, or keep it stock height?
For stock height just a set of strange single adjustable rear shocks, I'd also make sure the rear upper spring isolators are in great shape and the bump stops; otherwise replace them.
Okay I will do that I'll prolly replace the stock rear springs just cuz they r 20 years old.