Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Wouldn't take an alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:02 AM

Wouldn't take an alignment

While it was raining last week, i lost traction and ended up in a ditch. I think i skimmed the curb on the way down with my front passanger side tire. I could tell something was wrong with the suspension on the passanger side so i fixed it up.

My problem is i fixed up what looked messed up and it won't take an alignment.
What can i do?

The collision shop estimate said:
LCA was bent (Replaced that with new one)
Sway bar link was bent (replaced that new)
Steering knuckle was bent (IT didnt look bent at all so i left it)
They change the hub with the steering knuckle (My bearing has minor wobbling but not too bad)
Tie Rods bent (MY uncle looked it over and said they were fine)
k-member was bent where the lca bolts in on the back(think i fixed this with a hammer)

I think i did a pretty good job and everything looks right. The shop couldn't give me a reason for the rejection, they said my frame is probably pushed back. What should i do? I aligner my tires myself so they are relatively aligned for now. Should i go to another shop and see if they can do it? My friend who has auto class said he would do it for me but theres a lot of people in that class that would probably destroy my tires, engine, or trans. Is there anything else i should try before i take it in for an alignment. The collision shop guy said its the steering knuckle but it looks perfectly fine.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Re: Wouldn't take an alignment

Should be posted on the "Suspension......." forum.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
While it was raining last week, i lost traction and ended up in a ditch. I think i skimmed the curb on the way down with my front passanger side tire. I could tell something was wrong with the suspension on the passanger side so i fixed it up.

My problem is i fixed up what looked messed up and it won't take an alignment.
What can i do?

The collision shop estimate said:
LCA was bent (Replaced that with new one)
Sway bar link was bent (replaced that new)
Steering knuckle was bent (IT didnt look bent at all so i left it)
They change the hub with the steering knuckle (My bearing has minor wobbling but not too bad)
Tie Rods bent (MY uncle looked it over and said they were fine)
k-member was bent where the lca bolts in on the back(think i fixed this with a hammer)

I think i did a pretty good job and everything looks right. The shop couldn't give me a reason for the rejection, they said my frame is probably pushed back. What should i do? I aligner my tires myself so they are relatively aligned for now. Should i go to another shop and see if they can do it? My friend who has auto class said he would do it for me but theres a lot of people in that class that would probably destroy my tires, engine, or trans. Is there anything else i should try before i take it in for an alignment. The collision shop guy said its the steering knuckle but it looks perfectly fine.
This is scary. Bent suspension parts (like dead canaries) are a sign of serious damage that needs to be corrected. Visible wobbling of a front hub is a no-no. My guess is that you uncle isn't a mechanical engineer nor would he drive your car at its limits after the crunch. I may be wrong.

Yeah, take it to another shop and see if they find the same problems. Perhaps they aren't just trying to sell parts and really think your car needs fixing.

BTW, did you report this to your insurance company? It sounds to me like you are going to be well over your deductible to get it fixed safely.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 AM

Trying to determine things are bent just by looking at them is a waste of time. Only a qualified person measuring against specs is going to tell. If it won't align, then you know things aren't right. Buck up and have a frame shop correct what is bent that cannot be replaced and replace what they tell you is bent.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:52 AM

MY uncle is a retired certified mechanic. He is very reputable and he told me the hub has some normal wear in it and doesnt need to be replaced right away but should be eventually. I didn't see any kind of woblage myself. I don't have collision coverage on my car, just the minimum because i didnt really spend all that much money on my car and it doesnt seem worth it. Evedn if idid go through the collision shop it would be cheaper than a deductible+collision for 6 months.

Is it possible that another shop would be able to do it?
Old 11-13-2004, 12:08 PM

Just by going into a ditch you can twist the uni-body on these cars, If you had bent suspension parts you may have done more damage than you thought. The only way to tell is to get it to a body shop that has equipment to check the frame.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:49 PM

I need to have my car to drive to school and work and idont want to take it to the collision shop because they said it needs to be there 5 days. Dumb policy that they make you leave it until all work is done and they have a lot of cars. I kind of need it during this time. Would it be ok for my friend to align it at school for free (they got the machine there) and then i could drive it until i find another place that can fix my frame (i believe it is the frame because my hood was misaligned for a while till i realligned it). I will get the frame fixed and then probably ask the other shop about the steering knuckle and once its done il lget another professional alignment.

I have the tires lined up good enough that they dont fight each other and dont squeel going down the street but i know i need the machine to do it with precision.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 11-13-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:29 PM

Some qualified people havee told youwhat needs to happen. understanding that your in school , you do what you need to do . Just remember there is no shortcuts when it comes to safety.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:45 PM

I see what you are saying and i know what you mean but, you'd have to see my case. I adjusted it as best i could myself and the car runs perfect. Steering is fine and suspension makes no noise (Used to squeek like crazy). I think i pretty much fixed it pretty good. My car was in another accident before i got it.

I don't think it really matters if your frame is bent a little bit does it? Im sure every car has a little bendage in the frame at 113k miles from normal driving. I see what you are saying but the store was just like, your lca is bent, when we change that, we always change the steering knuckle, tie rods, hub, etc. They didnt even take off my wheel to check if the knuckle was bent.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 PM

ive bent a steering knuckle, and you would never know. Even comparing a new one and the bent one side by side you couldn tell. I would fix it, i got one from a recycling yard for like $80 canadian. Just take it to another shop, and dont tell them anything is wrong. They will question you if they think anything is wrong.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

I'm a little puzzled why you even posted this. A number of people have given you the correct answer - get it checked by a qualified professional (an uncle who is a retired certified mechanic is not necessarily qualified, unless he specialized in body work), using the proper tools. The first shop told you what needed to be done. But you have totally blown off all the good advice you have been given.

If your uncle is truely qualified, have him go back to that shop and discuss each specific recommended fix with the body shop. If he knows what he is doing, that will save you from any unecessary work. Get a second opinion from another shop if you still have questions.

You seem annoyed that the body shop has a "Dumb policy that they make you leave it until all work is done...", but what else would you expect them to do.... leave the job 1/2 finished?

You have a potentially dangerous problem. You've "hammered" out the K-member, done your own alignment, know you have a bad front hub, possibly a bent knuckle and a damaged frame. Just don't drive down the highway next to me.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM

Easy there guys, It might have come out the wrong way, I really meant to ask if the steering knuckle should be changed. Money isn't a problem here but... I don't want to spend unneccassary money. The collision shop didnt really look at my car, they just gave me what is probably broken in an estimate.

If my frame is bent minorly which i think it may be, is it alright to leave it like that or is it something that needs to be fixed? I've been driving the car to school and work right now and it drives better than before the accident and my old lca squeeked, the new one doesn't.

I am kind of tired of looking for help from "Certified Professionals" because to me, they are no more qualified than my uncle. Every shop ive been to turns me down for a stupid reason like, "we aren't doing any more checkups or alignments today".

What do you recommend i do?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 PM

After reading this thread I can only think of one thing...

That really fu*kin sucks.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Easy there guys, It might have come out the wrong way, I really meant to ask if the steering knuckle should be changed. Money isn't a problem here but... I don't want to spend unneccassary money. The collision shop didnt really look at my car, they just gave me what is probably broken in an estimate.

If my frame is bent minorly which i think it may be, is it alright to leave it like that or is it something that needs to be fixed? I've been driving the car to school and work right now and it drives better than before the accident and my old lca squeeked, the new one doesn't.

I am kind of tired of looking for help from "Certified Professionals" because to me, they are no more qualified than my uncle. Every shop ive been to turns me down for a stupid reason like, "we aren't doing any more checkups or alignments today".

What do you recommend i do?
Re-read this thread. The correct advice is contained in the responses.

You really don't seem to want advice. You want confirmation that what you think is correct and anyone who disagrees is wrong. Fred (Injuneer) said it very well.

FWIW, copping a 'tude doesn't really make folks want to help you. Maybe they are turning you down because of what you say to them, or how you say it.

I'll go along with Fred, stay away from me on the highway.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:12 PM

Well, i got it aligned. I told you guys that it wasn't as bad as it sounded. I had it looked over by a few mechanics while it was up on a lift. They all said everything was within limits. They believe that my tie rod was shoved in a few notches on the steering column. They got it aligned. I have a little bit more camber than they'd like but they said it should be fine. It drives straight, turns tight again, and the tires are lined up. They told me everything was probably jarred a little bit and minorly bent but nothing to worry about. They also said i didnt need the bearing replaced yet.

Quick Reply: Wouldn't take an alignment