Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

what tools are needed to lower car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 PM

what tools are needed to lower car?

i am going to be lowering my camaro next weekend.

i know the only tools needed are ordinary hand tools, and a spring compressor, but what i do not know are the sizes of nuts and bolts on the suspension. phb, lca's, castlenut on front spindle....

i want to know if i should go buy a large set of metric wrenches; (up to about $100) or if i can get away with just a few different sizes.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Re: what tools are needed to lower car?

Here's a writeup on changing the springs/shocks on a 4th Gen:

http://members.aol.com/InjuneerZZ/HALEibch.htm

Only specialized tool is a spring compressor. Alternatively, you can take the complete front spring/shock assemblies to a shop and have them broken down and reassembled. If you choose to separate the lower ball joint, you need a pickle fork. If you opt for the upper joint, you may be able to get it apart with a bit of hammering on the side of the ball joint. Or, it is possible to strongarm the spring/shock assembly out of the A-arm without separating either ball joint. Some of the bolt sizes are mentioned in the writeup, including the Torx for the shock tower bolts and the Hex for the front brake calipers.

With a car as old as yours, you should plan on installing new front upper spring mounts. The old ones will be rotted and ready to fall apart. You will also have a problem getting the rusted nut off the top of the front shocks, since thye sit in a puddle of water. You may have to cut the shock shaft to get it off.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 PM

Re: what tools are needed to lower car?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
With a car as old as yours, you should plan on installing new front upper spring mounts. The old ones will be rotted and ready to fall apart. You will also have a problem getting the rusted nut off the top of the front shocks, since thye sit in a puddle of water. You may have to cut the shock shaft to get it off.
Thats true, but before I started cutting stuff off I would get a can of PB Blaster. You can get it at any parts store. Its a white can with lots of writting and a yellow cap. Just soak the bolts in that and let it sit for a few minutes. It works like magic. Never thought anything would work so well. Spray it on the threads and try to stay away from the head of the bolt though. That wont do anything except make your wrench slip off easier. Which will more than likely lead to rounding it off. Good luck.