Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm. Trans or tunnel brace mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Torque arm. Trans or tunnel brace mount?

What would you guys suggest? I've done some researching and have read about torn floor pans with the tunnel brace mounted torque arm and i've also read about split tailshafts with the transmission mounted torque arm. Im sure the chances of either of these happening are close to 0.

I'm at about 300 rwhp right now, but would like to be in the 450rwhp, 600rwhp on the bottle, range pretty soon. Pretty much a street driven car, but i would like to ocasionally go to the drag strip, the roadcoarse, and I would like to get into auto-xing just to show up some imports. I've got an adj. panhard bar and adj. lca's, both with QA1 rod ends, on the way. Ive also got KB DD 3 point SFC's welded in.

Also would you suggest spherical ends or polyurethane bushings?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I've got the Spohn TA, with the front mount attached to the pads for the stock g-load brace, and haven't had any problems at the 800 flywheel HP level. A buddy of mine pushed 1,350HP through a 30th SS convertible chassis, using the Spohn body-mount TA, but he did have a steel reinforcement plate welded to the floor, between the SFC's to insure the load was evenly distributed.

The chassis mount is going to increase noise, and the spherical rod end on the TA will be very noisy. I ran a poly bushing when the car was street driven, and the only thing I noticed was a bit of a clunk as the gears used up the backlash. Now I've got spherical rod ends on the TA, LCA's and rear sway bar, but you can't hear any of the noise over the exhaust.......

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-21-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM

They say that the chassis mount provides a sturdier mounting point versus the tranny tailshaft. Also, if you decide to get the optional front driveshaft safety loop, it is mounted right on the front mount of the torque arm. I also went ahead with the Spohn unit, its the chassis mounted adjustable piece with the front driveshaft loop. Overall, the quality of the piece is outstanding, just like the rest of the Spohn lineup. The only drawback of it is that ground clearance is an issue on certain inclines because the front mount has a deep groove that allows it to clear the y-pipe. This in turn gives it a soda can distance away from the actual pavement.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:51 PM

What about using a Torque Arm Relocation Kit like BMR sells? It relocates the torque arm mounting point to the transmission cross-member. Anyone try that?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by joe-96z1le
What about using a Torque Arm Relocation Kit like BMR sells? It relocates the torque arm mounting point to the transmission cross-member. Anyone try that?
I run the BMR one. TH400 and a BMR adjustable TA.
I was very impressed with the BMR TA relocation crossmember. It solved alot of problems with my TH400 swap with one purchase.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 AM

I use a jegster tunnel mount which is adjustable and it works like a charm. i beleive they are 300.00