Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Test top strut mounts before installation!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Angry Test top strut mounts before installation!!!

A couple of years ago I replaced my front struts and the right front bushing has failed already. I put Gabriel struts on it so I decided to go with a different brand this time. I ordered AC Delco units and guess what name I found on the bushing? Gabriel. Had a AC Delco sticker on it, with the same part number and stampings as the old Gabriel. I'm not pleased with this, but I'm sure not going to send them back at this point.

I also ordered AC Delco strut mounts. The right front one looked different as it had sliver threaded bushings for the bolt holes. I didn't think too much about it, just thought it was a design change.

Changing struts and getting everything lined up with the top mount and bottom shock is an exercise in patience. Usually takes me 3 or 4 adjustments before I nail the alignment.

Left front went well. I move to the right front, get everything perfect, then try to put the bolts in the top mount holes.....they will not go. I look at them from the top of the car....and they are drilled in the wrong spots. Man, I was not happy after all that work.

I think they had a problem with it, installed these silver threaded bushings to try and fix it, but failed.

In any event, make sure you take the upper control arm mount and test fit it to the new strut mount to make sure the holes line up. This simple test would have saved me a lot of pain.

I have a new Moog replacement on order that will be here tomorrow evening. Pays to try and test fit. Pics below.

Old stock mount...
http://www.ace1252.com/images/1996_L...trut_mount.JPG

New AC Delco Mount....
http://www.ace1252.com/images/1996_L...trut_mount.JPG

Last edited by ACE1252; 10-12-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Test top strut mounts before installation!!!

Interesting stuff.

My front suspension was overhauled by the local GM dealer in December 2013 using all AC Delco parts, and one lower shock mount bushing failed 8 months later. I did notice the label on the new shocks in December. Wonder if the mechanic read this label?
The AC Delco upper shock mounts were replaced also, I don't know if he had any problems with them however.
Attached Thumbnails Test top strut mounts before installation!!!-98ta-delco-shock-label.jpg