Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM

suspension upgrades

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=341

thats the bmr suspension package i found that seems to fit what im interested in... since i wont do any serious racing with it other than on the insterstate with a few friends and we wont be doing 130+ or strip racing it seems to fit daily driving as well. could i get any pointers on this setup for my 95 sexy lady???
Old 10-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Re: suspension upgrades

that link doesnt work but I can get you what you need. Just let me know!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 AM

here's a new link
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...d=57&catid=157

its the level 1 package at the top of the list, i wouldnt have to do much cutting or welding to put all that on if any would i?

here's the part number
HPP005

im also asking for advice and pointers as i dont know too much about suspension (reason why im on this section of the forum).. maybe if anyone has the time to explain to me what each thing does and how it helps out

please take in mind that this is not a drag car and probably never will be just dressing her up and keeping her up to date with newer cars so i hang with some buddies on the interstate when we decide to toy around

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-22-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

For a description and photos of some of the key components, check post #2 in this thread:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=394217

From your choice of link, I would assume you are most interested in good handling while street driving. Establishing this is important, because a good-mannered corner carver is going to be set up quite a bit differently than a suspension dedicated to straight line traction. Verify your primary purpose.

Next, you have selected a package with springs that lower the car. I don't see a number quoted on how much they lower it, maybe you have to go to the description of the springs. But are you sure you want to lower the car? That will look better, and it's going to corner better (with the correct components) but it will limit you on certain future upgrades. For example, if you wanted to install long tube headers, and the car is lowered, they may not have adequate ground clearance. If you drive over extremely rough or rutted roads, lowering it may not be a good idea. Clarify whether you want to lower it.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-22-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling @#&@##!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
For a description and photos of some of the key components, check post #2 in this thread:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=394217

From your choice of link, I would assume you are most interested in good handling while street driving. Establishing this is important, because a good-mannered corner carver is going to be set up quite a bit differently than a suspension dedicated to straight line traction. Verify your primary purpose.

Next, you have selected a package with springs that lower the car. I don't see a number quoted on how much they lower it, maybe you have to go to the description of the springs. But are you sure you want to lower the car? That will look better, and it's going to corner better (with the correct components) but it will limit you on certain future upgrades. For example, if you wanted to install long tube headers, and the car is lowered, they may not have adequate ground clearance. If you drive over extremely rough or rutted roads, lowering it may not be a good idea. Clarify whether you want to lower it.
ok sorry about that.. im learning alot as i go if you cant tell already im a very young mechanic and sorry for any unclear information i provide i'll try to keep alot of this in mind

i wont be dragging this car so you are correct on that and i wouldnt mind lowering it but im not sure if i wanna go long tubed headers or not as i still have to worry about GA emissions so probably not as im under the influence that it could cause me to fail them so i guess not lowering the car would be a smarter choice but i really really like bmr.. i keep hearing really good comments on their stuff but if anyone has any other ideas that aint too much more expensive or possibly cheaper that isnt crap suspension then please enlighten me

thanks to everyone's help i highly appreciate it
Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM

anyone got any ideas or even some sort of recommendations for what im looking for:

i wont be on a drag tack.. just riding around town and on the interstate. looking to beef up the stock suspension to handle no more then 200 more hp than what the stock lt1 pushes... i just want a street hot rod in simple terms

i am very open minded ask anyone who has helped me previously.. i just wanna get some knowledge about this before i get into spending money.. thanks in advance

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM

First I like that your upgrading the suspension before you add the power. You should upgrade your braking system before you add the power as well. Most don't... I didn't...but I should have.

I'd suggest starting with better shocks and drive it for awhile before making further changes. If you feel the car is under or oversteering too much, then consider different roll bar rates at that time. No need for a new panhard bar unless you need an easy way to center your rear axle. No need for rear control arms unless you encounter physical lack of space due to wider tires or want a bit more mechanical drip on straight line accel, but angle it too much and it hurts handling. I'll send you a PM.