Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension/Chassis (Subframe connectors)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM

Suspension/Chassis (Subframe connectors)

I was wondering if anyone knew about this company and how good they are with building Subframe connectors? the company is called Competition Engineering. I am looking to buy Competition Engineering Product # C3108
If you have any good/bad news about them let me know ASAP thank you
Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Re: Suspension/Chassis (Subframe connectors)

Anyone???????????
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM

You are better off with another brand.

Not sure on the 4th gens, but with the 3rd when you use their brand you must trim the floor pan.

I prefer UMI.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM

+1 for UMI- great service, and solid, reliable products. Love mine-
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM

This product is designed to eliminate body flex, and improve both straight line and cornering
performance. Installation can be accomplished in an afternoon with basic hand tools. No modification of the floor pan of factory frame rails is required
This is what their site says about the Subframe connector i need. i hope this is true because if not i am not going to be a happy customer. i ordered one today and should be her by friday so i will let you guys know how it is to install it and ill see if i have mess with the floor pan
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM

I asked the comp selling them and they said not to waste my money so I bought sone slps from them instead
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
I asked the comp selling them and they said not to waste my money so I bought sone slps from them instead
what company did you ask?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Companies like BMR, UMI and Spohn specialize in 4th Gen F-Body suspension parts. While CE makes decent stuff, I don't think they know the 4th Gens like the companies that specialize.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Another vote for UMI here. I bought a set of weld in 3-point SFC's and it's a huge difference, and they fit like a glove with no clearance issues at all. I have kooks long tubes 3" catted y-pipe and a 3" cat back and they clear them all perfectly.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 PM

well i bought the CE and they r nice and light but the instructions were not worded correctly and i have a problem with installing them. it says to drill a 13/32 hold in the floor pan to put the bolts through, well that was way bigger than the factory holes on the subframe. in addition, on the driver side i hooked the back subframe to the control arm and then i tried to drill the holes but then i drilled through the floor board but there is another piece that i have to drill through which looks like a triangle, when i tried to drill through it the bit snapped. its hard to explain what i am talking about.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Name:  floorpan.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  59.8 KB
as you can see the triangle piece on the driver side floor pan, i have to drill through the right side slope of that triangle which it is hard when you drill up through the bottle and then try and drill through that. its difficult to explain it
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM

weld them in and dont worry about bolting.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM

well see i got them mainly to bolt them in due to the fact that i might want to take them off and i do not want to go through the hassle and cut them off. i am hoping i can figure something out.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Companies like BMR, UMI and Spohn specialize in 4th Gen F-Body suspension parts. While CE makes decent stuff, I don't think they know the 4th Gens like the companies that specialize.
i was looking to go with UMI but i made the dumb mistake and took the easy way out and looks like it will be a harder project after all. but you are 100% right that they do not know much about the 4th gen cars. There instructions on how to install the subframe connectors are confusing because this is what the instruction say " Driver's side Installation; 7. Using a 13/32" drill bit, drill up through the subframe connector and the subframe into the passenger
compartment
Well what is confusing about that? it talks about the driver side then it says drill through the subframe connector and the subframe into the PASSENGER SIDE compartment!? lol In addition, the Bit size is way to big also because i tried to drill up through the subframe connector but i would of made the holes on the subframe connector bigger.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM

also i do have to say their customer service is not very good, i alway try to get a hold of someone there and i never can

Quick Reply: Suspension/Chassis (Subframe connectors)