Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Steering Wheel Movement..?? Changing Steering Wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:49 AM

Steering Wheel Movement..?? Changing Steering Wheel??

Well following up my problem here http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501681

"ok when im in my 04 elantra or dads truck/vette I pull on the steering wheel and it stays in place but I get in my 94 formy and I can move it ever so slightly like tilt alittle bit but its locked (im not pushing the movement thing) "

I have checked the column it isnt moving its just moving at the tilt joint like it isnt fully locking??

Im acquiring a 96 formula body later this week with full interior.. was going to change the wheels out maybe fix this problem??? how do I go about doing this??
Old 05-14-2006, 09:15 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Movement..?? Changing Steering Wheel??

There are four bolts inside the column that get loose. This link is about a truck column but the fix is the same.

http://experts.about.com/q/Steering-...uck-w-tilt.htm
Old 05-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rngilliland
There are four bolts inside the column that get loose. This link is about a truck column but the fix is the same.

http://experts.about.com/q/Steering-...uck-w-tilt.htm
i read that last night actauly searching google so my steering column is ****ed? I swear its just the wheel being lose at the tilt thing it doesnt move all the way day
Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 PM

The bolts are right behind the tilt joint. You may have some other problem but the symptoms you describe are what happens when the bolts get loose.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM

The bolts are right behind the tilt joint. You may have some other problem but the symptoms you describe are what happens when the bolts get loose.
so my steering column is ****ed or they are just lose?? it turns just fine and is lined up right but its just lose at the tilt... my elantra on other hand i bent the steering column doing a big jumpwith the wheel turned (dukes of hazard **** oneday)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM

so my steering column is ****ed or they are just lose?? it turns just fine and is lined up right but its just lose at the tilt... my elantra on other hand i bent the steering column doing a big jumpwith the wheel turned (dukes of hazard **** oneday) its fixed now though
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM

If it's the bolts all you have to do is tighten them. The only difference from that guide is you have an airbag. It would be best to use a manual so you don't mess up the airbag if you do it yourself. You will need the lock plate tool and the pivot pin removal tool. I have seen both at autoparts places. I'm sure any repair shop could also fix it. It is a very common problem.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 PM

If it's the bolts all you have to do is tighten them. The only difference from that guide is you have an airbag. It would be best to use a manual so you don't mess up the airbag if you do it yourself. You will need the lock plate tool and the pivot pin removal tool. I have seen both at autoparts places. I'm sure any repair shop could also fix it. It is a very common problem.
i got the hanes 93-02 fbody rebuilt book, unless its under $40 bucks to fix stuff or i need a lift noones doing it for me