Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SFC 3 point connection worth extra $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:55 AM

SFC 3 point connection worth extra $$$?

I got t-tops that's why I am thinking of getting 3 point connection. What do you guys think would it be worth for me to get them over 2 point.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:38 AM

Better triangulation, what weight is added is low, can be tied together either with a real piece of structural steel or even a driveshaft loop- I voted for this with my wallet-
Old 12-25-2009, 08:56 AM

I purchased tubular 2 pt SFC years ago for my T top camaro. I have no t-top leaks in the rain. My mom had a 94 camaro and the T tops started leaking after a couple of years. She did not have SFC. I've had them on my car since 2000 and it keeps the frame tight enough to prevent t top leaks.

But a 3 point support is without a doubt the strongest. Is it needed? I don't know. I've never ridden in a camaro with a 3 pt set up.

SFC's don't help your handling any but will keep the frame tight and parts from breaking/squeaking/leaking.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM

I wanted to get SFC for years but never got around to it. I read how great they are and what a big differance they make, I just know once I do get them I am gonna be mad at myself for not getting them sooner. My t-tops don't leak but I have tons of raddling/squeaking in the car, probably cause my z is a 93. I have finally decided to get them this spring.

Anyway, I am not sure which to get cause one guy told me because I have t-tops the body/frame is weaker and I should go for 3 point, but then other people said that 3 point are over kill unless you do autocross racing (which I don't) so don't spend extra money for something you don't really need.

Last edited by alex-z28; 12-26-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM

I got the 3pt one because I like pushing the car through the turns. The car doesn't know if it's on the street being driven hard or on the track being driven hard, and also thought it's a good place for something else to tie everything in together.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM

I have the 3-point and love them. Yeah there's some extra weight to them but the improved handling justified the few extra pounds IMO.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 PM

OK I decided to get the 3 point connection SFC. Now which one should I get UMI or SLP they are both like same price. Does one fit better then the other?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM

They are both reputable companies, and I have parts from both. I have good help from UMI's customer service, so I can say that from experience. Haven't had to use SLP's service yet, it may be just as good- dunno

I will say that UMI has other related parts- the driveshaft loops, the torque arm kit that will tie into those SFC-s- I had to get the torque arm mount for modified exhaust to clear my SLP Y-pipe-
Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM

i vote for the umi piece, excellent fit and its light!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
They are both reputable companies, and I have parts from both. I have good help from UMI's customer service, so I can say that from experience. Haven't had to use SLP's service yet, it may be just as good- dunno

I will say that UMI has other related parts- the driveshaft loops, the torque arm kit that will tie into those SFC-s- I had to get the torque arm mount for modified exhaust to clear my SLP Y-pipe-

I got driveshaft loop and the torque arm, I don't know how they would tie ito those SFCs. Got any pics?

Originally Posted by blue 79 Z/28
i vote for the umi piece, excellent fit and its light!

I think I am gonna go with UMI, and yeah they look lighter then SLP.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM

The piece that the torque arm relocation kit mounts to is the same piece that the 3-point SFC's are connected by. Pic from UMI websote:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=197
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Holy double-post, Batman! Anybody else having problems with the site updating?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Read the "Announcements".....the site is being moved to a new server. Some service interuptions are to be expected.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/announcement.php?f=47
Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM

Ah, gotcha- didn't realize you were doing it hot-swapping. Kudos- Knew it was coming, just wasn't paying attention to when-
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
The piece that the torque arm relocation kit mounts to is the same piece that the 3-point SFC's are connected by. Pic from UMI websote:

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=197
My torque arm looks a lot different then the one in that picutre and I don't think I will able to tie it in with the SFCs. I should able to tie the driveshaft to it though.

Quick Reply: SFC 3 point connection worth extra $$$?