Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Routing fuel lines around SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 AM

Need some help here. Bought some UMI tubular bolt/weld-in SFCs for my 96 SS 'Vert. The driver's side SFC takes up the space reserved between the subframe and the body, where the plastic fuel lines come down the wheel well and into the front subframe before makeing a 90 degree turn and exiting through a hole in the subframe to hook up with the steel lines from the tank.

The temporary fix has fuel lines hanging out in the path of debris from the lt. front tire and below the front subframe. Not ideal. I want to keep the stock lines in their original place, but it looks like I'll need to cut away some of the SFC to allow enough room to make it work. Has anyone got any experience / advice on this? Any and all would be much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Have you asked UMI about the problem? They would have considered the stock fuel line routing in their design of the SFC's. I know Spohn did not make "LT1" 4th gen SFC's for quite a while, because of the fuel line problem, and he used my car (photos and measurements) to work up a design that did not interfere with the stock fuel line routing. I would assume UMI did something similar.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Thx for the input Injuneer. I had originally taken the SFCs to a muffler shop to have them installed. 'Turns out I'm the victim of a hot-headed shop owner who ranted on and on about "after market crap", because at 1st glance the SFC would crush the fuel lines. They're the guys that did the disconnet/re-routing that left the lines out in the breeze. I e-mailed UMI & spoke Brad Conrad. He was adamant they would fit w/o a problem, so I crawled under it one more time. I removed the plastic protective sheath and moved the lines up and out of the way. The cavity was rough from what appeared to be "welding splatter" from original construction, leaving many small, sharp protrusions. I sanded them down, stuffed the lines up and re-fitted the SFCs. Voila`! They fit with minimal pressure on the lines. I can gently wiggle them with a screw-driver, so they can't be that tight. 'Wouldn't have worked with the guard in place. So much for listening to the local drag racer/muffler shop guru! As they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself! I'll post this reply on the other side in case any other 4th Gen guys have the same problem. Cheerz.