Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Roll cages

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM

Roll cages

alright, couple questions quick.
For a roll cage, a 6pt is good down to like a 9.99, correct??

Now, the main question, is, for the people that have gone bolt in, do you wish you got weld in? For those that got weld in, do you wish you got bolt in?
Putting a cage in the new setup, just needa figure out which i want to do.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

A 6-point is not a roll cage, it is a roll bar. For coupes running under 11.50 to 10.00 or above (and not over 135mph), NHRA requires a 5-point roll bar. The main hoop counts as two points, the two rear braces as two points, and the driver's side diagonal side brace to the front floor is the 5th required point. The 6th point for the passenger side diagonal brace to the front floor is not required by NHRA. The side brace must pass the drivers arm between the shoulder and the elbow (several well-known bars fail to meet this spec).

And, this in normally covered in "Suspension, Chassis......" forum, so I'll move it there.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Always weld in and always chrome moly, in my opinion that is the way to go.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 AM

Yeah, I always wondered about a few of those companies that sell the bars that run along the bottom of the door if they were legal or not. Thanks for bringing that up, helps me w/my decision on just a 5-point.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
A 6-point is not a roll cage, it is a roll bar. For coupes running under 11.50 to 10.00 or above (and not over 135mph), NHRA requires a 5-point roll bar. The main hoop counts as two points, the two rear braces as two points, and the driver's side diagonal side brace to the front floor is the 5th required point. The 6th point for the passenger side diagonal brace to the front floor is not required by NHRA. The side brace must pass the drivers arm between the shoulder and the elbow (several well-known bars fail to meet this spec).

And, this in normally covered in "Suspension, Chassis......" forum, so I'll move it there.
So, Wolfe bolt ins are not NHRA approved since it does not pass between the shoulder and elbow?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM

With a roll bar in the car it will satisfy most race tracks. It may not be NHRA legal, but it will usually pass tech. When you move into a roll cage is a whole different story. They become a little more concerned with your vehicle.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by reamo04
So, Wolfe bolt ins are not NHRA approved since it does not pass between the shoulder and elbow?
I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion from what I wrote. To me, it appears that the Wolfe side bar is located correctly - maybe a shade low - but since I don't have one and have never measured it, I have no idea if it conforms to the NHRA regulations.

Wolfe:

Mine:

As Eric pointed out, "tech" varies from track to track, and they generally are not real fussy about the fine points of the roll bars. When you go to a full cage, and have to have it certified by an NHRA official, its a whole different story.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-29-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion from what I wrote. To me, it appears that the Wolfe side bar is located correctly - maybe a shade low - but since I don't have one and have never measured it, I have no idea if it conforms to the NHRA regulations.

Wolfe:

Mine:

As Eric pointed out, "tech" varies from track to track, and they generally are not real fussy about the fine points of the roll bars. When you go to a full cage, and have to have it certified by an NHRA official, its a whole different story.

Thats my bad, i must have been looking at one other than a wolfe (it was a LOT lower). So, i should be okay just getting a wolfe?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I'm going with a custom chrome moly 6 point weld in style with swing outs that are removable when not racing and can be stored in the trunk area...Weld in is the way to go, imho...

--Alan
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Im gonna be gettin a cage too, but I am not sure which brand to get... so this is good info for the NHRA spec...
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

Your best bet is a local chassis shop most places are only $100 a pt. for a custom cage/bar

IMO chrome moly is over kill for a 6 pt bar.....waste of money for a 10 sec car
Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM

IS chrome moly lighter??

I am going to put in a roll bar too.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LB9GTA
IS chrome moly lighter??

I am going to put in a roll bar too.
its a tad lighter and it has to be tig welded so it would be wayyyyyy more expensive
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Like how much lighter?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM

I do not believe ANY "BOLT-IN" roll bar is NHRA legal; AFAIK per the rule book they MUST be welded in place.

Chromoly isn't that much lighter in comparison to DOM tubing and isn't worth the extra $$ unless you're super concerned with dropping every extra possible pound; AKA race-only car with no interior, etc

Quick Reply: Roll cages