Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear end swaying help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM

Rear end swaying help

ok before you yell at me for doing this, i just did it temporarally!...

when i put my tires on i cut my stock lower control arms a little to make sure i had clearance. i havent gotten my tubular lca's i'm gonna buy yet and i took the car out last night and got on it a little. the rear end is swaying left and right like crazy, scared the crap out of me, thats how bad it is. everything seems tight, the wheels are torqed down good and the tires have air in them. i figured i just totally screwed the structural integrity of the stock LCA's. what do you think? (minus that im a dumbass)
Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Do you have a rear PHB? The PHB should keep your rear in place relative the the frame... or do you mean that the rear of the car is all overplace relative to the road? When you say you cut the Control arms... where/how did you cut them?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 PM

Just having a LCA bolt loose will cause the rear to sway.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 PM

You cut the LCAs? Is this a joke? Maybe when your car is lying upside down in a ditch, it will be easier for you to put the tubular LCAs on.

(maybe I read this post wrong)
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Administrator

If you had to "cut" the LCA's (which I suspect means he had to "notch" them for side clearance on a wide tire) you must be using a VERY wide tire. I know with my 315 drag radials, when I nail it on an asphalt roadway, the back end will be all over the place as the wide tread rides the grooves in the asphalt from the 18-wheelers. Is that possibly what you are feeling? Does it do is all the time, or only when you hit the throttle?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:46 AM

just when i hit the throttle. and no shoebox it wasnt a joke, i did groove them out temporarily to clear the tires. i took about a 4" gap where the tire would meet the lca and cut about 1cm in (basically cutting that 180 degree lip off if that makes since). they did rub when i turned which is why i decided to cut them in the first place. i planned on getting tubular lca's anyway so i just cut them for now and i took the car out to test it out. i do have an adjustable panhard bar. i will get under there this weekend and make sure everything IS tight. as far as feeling that the tires are riding the grooves in the road, i dont think that's the case. it seems like it swayed back and forth pretty consistently when i was on the gas. like i said i wasnt trying to make any jokes about it. i knew cutting them couldnt have been the safest thing but it was temporary and i dont really drive the car right now anyway so its sitting till i work on it. thanx again for the input.