Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Question on brands and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 AM

Question Question on brands and upgrades

As pointed out to me by Injuneer (thank you) I really need to break up my "what types of vendors/brands should I trust?" question by type up parts. So I am starting with suspension as it seems common sense to rebuild/upgrade the suspension before building out the power.

I know I need struts and probably springs, so what would be my best options here? I know engines rather well but I am clueless when it comes to performance suspension.

Also what would be the recommendations on upgrading the suspension on my car? it's a 97 z28 with the 1LE package. What should I do and what shouldn't I do. I am leaning towards handling but it is my DD so comfort is a close second. I also don't want to drop it much if any. I already struggle getting out of the car being 6' 1" and slightly husky.

As a side note I have looked at the parts on hawks third gen parts website, are they a good source?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Re: Question on brands and upgrades

Best reference for suspension parts, particularly related to high performance driving:

Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog

If you are interested in straight line (drag racing) there are many sources, this being an example of one:

http://www.spohn.net/

You already have a premium suspension, that will provide very good handling for the street. Drive it and see if it meets your needs. I would not recommend downgrading parts to achieve "comfort" unless you live where the streets are absolutely atrocious and potholed. That would be taking away what many see as the outstanding feature of the car, the 1LE package. It cost $1,175 extra when the car was new, and there were only 48 1LE cars built in 1997, according to the Camaro White Book.

The reference I posted in your other thread showed that the 1LE package included Koni double-adjustable shocks in the later years. If yours has those (they will be yellow), adjusting the shocks a bit softer would alter "comfort", without degrading the 1LE option value.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM

thank you for your reply and ya I have no plans on downgrading the 1LE package. So pretty much I should just put in new Koni struts and maybe replace the springs and I should be set?

I shouldn't have to touch any control arms or sway bars as long as they are in good shape?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Administrator

You should already have double-adjustable Koni shocks. The stiffness of compression and rebound can be adjusted. You don't replace them, you adjust them. I believe they can also be rebuilt. These are extremely expensive, top of the market shocks.

Minor point, but no "struts" on a 4th Gen. The front shock is a "coil-over" spring/shock assembly, used in an unequal A-arm front suspension - far superior to a Macpherson strut configuration.

With regard to the control arms and sway bars, you need to check the condition of the bushings.... time (18 years in your case) is not kind to rubber.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:17 PM

Excellent. I wad able to get under the car with a mechanic and the koni shocks, though dirty, are in good condition. The control arms are shot along with my tie rod ends. So that is what I will he shopping for.

Thanks again for the direction and info.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:17 PM

Same issue with my car's bushings.

Yeah, that 1LE option is rare so hang on to that.