Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ls1 brake swap and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 12:22 PM

ls1 brake swap and alignment

I hread in one thread that I will need an alignment after I take the lt1 stuff off and put on the ls1 stuff... is that true?
Old 05-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Yes, you throw the alighnment out with the swap.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:11 PM

just curious, if I do this in my garage, how can I align it myself or how do most people do that so they can atleast drive to get it aligned?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:38 PM

Most of the time after the LS1 brake swap your not really that far off from the original alighnment. (tie rods and a-arms effect the alighnment most) I would take a drive and if no major problems were seen/felt, I'd drive it straight there. Or you could go the protective father route and have it towed, lol.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Bone Daddy
Most of the time after the LS1 brake swap your not really that far off from the original alighnment. (tie rods and a-arms effect the alighnment most) I would take a drive and if no major problems were seen/felt, I'd drive it straight there. Or you could go the protective father route and have it towed, lol.
just drive it there, even if its horidly off just keep it slow.

take it for a drive first as said, just to make sure everything is working hte way it should.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:45 PM

well Im gonna try and have the shop do it so I dont have to pay for stuff im gonna have to redo like bleed brakes and an alignment... hope they go for it, its just a strait swap.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by lt4 fd
well Im gonna try and have the shop do it so I dont have to pay for stuff im gonna have to redo like bleed brakes and an alignment... hope they go for it, its just a strait swap.
its a straight swap if you have the LS1 spindals, I assume you do.

its easy enough for you to do on your own. the difference between you doing it and them will be shop time, and I bet a couple hours of it at least.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:59 PM

yeah but depends on how much that costs. Atleast I would have them do teh rear lines and pads and everything cause they already are and maybe put in better fluid, then just replace the front lines and brakes at a later date when I have front lower control arms to swap in as well, only prob with that is I dont know if taking the lines off the front will require bleeding the rear brakes again too or just fronts, may require a little more fluid but thats no biggie. I just dont like the idea of paying for an alignment twice if the shop time isnt going to be that much but I really dont know..... what do you think, should I wait and redo all the stuff when I swap the brakes on right after I get it back?