Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Looking for traction...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Looking for traction...

I'm new to all these suspension parts right now and I recently was convinced to work my way from the suspension up, instead of powering up the engine and then moving on to suspension. So now I'm basically looking for all new parts and I don't really know much about it. I've already decided on a new 12 bolt rear with 3.73's from Strange. I'm looking for some other parts now that will work well with that setup. My main concern is just straight-line traction, but I'd like to keep a nice, reliable street machine as well. Something that will handle corners but keep me stuck to the road at WOT as well. Just looking for some direction as to what parts to look for and things like that.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM

rear end and sticky icky tires are a start
then maybe a lca reloc. brackets
bilstein hd shocks or the koni's if you wanna dish out the money for them
then maybe an adj torque arm
then a panhard rod bar
then lca's (i hear there's aren't realy streetable, b/c they bind and are noisy..)

That the order I would go in....
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM

All the suspension mods in the world won't do you a bit of good if you don't have a good pair of tires out back to grip the pavement. After that, I would look into LCAs and LCA relocation brackets for starters.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by danhr
then lca's (i hear there's aren't realy streetable, b/c they bind and are noisy..)....
Why aren't they "streetable"? Poly bushings on both ends can cause suspension bnid as the body starts to roll, but using a combo of rubber/poly, poly/spherical or spherical/spherical, or the new spherical poly bushings highlighted in another post on this forum (do a "Search") will eliminate the suspension bind.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM

and this is why i put the "i hear" in it
so the more knowledgable people can chim in and correct me.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Why aren't they "streetable"? Poly bushings on both ends can cause suspension bnid as the body starts to roll, but using a combo of rubber/poly, poly/spherical or spherical/spherical, or the new spherical poly bushings highlighted in another post on this forum (do a "Search") will eliminate the suspension bind.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM

I currently have pretty nice street tires on it. BFG KDW I believe. I would imagine they aren't quite as sticky as a pair of slicks or DR's but hopefully they aren't too bad. Their new also, so I'm gonna keep them on for a while.
What's the difference between the LCA relocation brackets and the LCA's themselves? Can I get one or the other or should I get both?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:32 PM

The LCA relocation brackets mount to the rear axle and provide 2 additional mounting holes to lower the rear mounting hole of your LCA's. Lowering the rear mounting point provides improved straight line traction but compromises corner carving by providing sub-optimum geometry. The stock LCAs are a U-shaped channel and can flex under hard launches. Aftermarket LCAs are boxed or tubular, eliminating this flex.