Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Installed new pads, now sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Installed new pads, now sticking

Hey, just put in a set of hawks up front. I went to do the break in rpocedure and everythign seemed fine, except that the smell seemed to be lingering. I passed it off as a one time occurence. Today though, I went for a drive and noticed that it wasn't rolling as free anymore, and seemed to roll to a more abrubt stop rather then a free one. Also, there's a slight pull to the left and the smell again. I parked and the smell is definently coming from the passenger front.

I've done brakes many times, and this is the second time on this car. I used a c clamp and the old brake pad to push the pistons in, but there was more resistance on the pass side then the drivers at first, but after a few turns they went in smoothly.

I drove about 25 minutes like this with the smell coming on after about 10 minutes. Do you think I did any permanent damage to the pads and rotor? Also, it was working fine before, so I'm wondering if I screwed something up, and its not the caliper failing. The only thing I can think to do is to pull everything apart again on that side and push the pistons back in again to the stop, and put it back together, then cross my fingers and hope for the best. Any other ideas?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Smith4046

Re: Installed new pads, now sticking

Maybe your slide pins have rusted or lack the proper amount of lubrication? Nearly sounds like your pistons might be dragging your pads into the rotor? Others can probably add here.

Best of luck.

Steve

Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Smith4046
Maybe your slide pins have rusted or lack the proper amount of lubrication? Nearly sounds like your pistons might be dragging your pads into the rotor? Others can probably add here.

Best of luck.

Steve

Lube on the pins? You mean the bolts that hold the caliper in place? I didn't put anti seize or anyhting, but then again I never have and this is the first time I've had a problem, and by far the newest car. I did notice what looked like grey antiseize on the piston though, but if I recall that was only on the drivers side, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Smith4046

blackrat;

No, I meant the high temperature lubricant (special characteristics) that one can coat the slide pin itself to be sure it can easily slide.

Do NOT want to confuse you. If I happen to be wrong will apologize - why not wait until you can get some info from people MUCH more knowledgable than I?

Again, best of luck.

Steve

Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM

If you suspect your passenger side brake is sticking, it would cause the car to pull to the right not the left. I'd double check both sides. How many miles on the calipers? It might be time to rebuild them.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM

I would get a rebuild kit and some new guide pins. Might as well take care of all possible causes in one shot.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
If you suspect your passenger side brake is sticking, it would cause the car to pull to the right not the left. I'd double check both sides. How many miles on the calipers? It might be time to rebuild them.

Oops, I meant it pulled to the right. After I got back from thatr drive I immediately did the sniffer test and while the drivers side had no smell whatsover, the passenger side smelled pretty bad, so I doubt the driver's side is having any problems.

There's 65k miles on the car, and like I said, there was no problems at all before. This all happened after I changed the pads. I had to move the car today and I went about 500 feet. It didn't have any of the characteristics
that I mentioned yesterday. It rolled to a stop smoothly. However, I want to take it around again just ot make sure.

Just a quick q, and sorry if it sounds stupid, but if I didn't push the piston back all the way, and just enough to get the caliper on, could that be a reason? I'm going to go through it again tommorow when I have time, but rebuilding the caliper, while I don't think it would be too hard, is kind of a bad timing thing for me right now. Shoebox, what's involved in doing so? I don't want a step by step, but is it pretty straightforward? I'm going to check you site right now, so if the answers in there you don't have to leave a reply. Thanks!

Last edited by blackrat; 10-12-2005 at 07:12 PM.