Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

I think time for new rotors! help me

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM

I think time for new rotors! help me

Im getting new rims and my rotors dont look good(rusty looking) and so i was thinking of getting 4 new 1's and i was also wanting to paint my calipers.....well if some1 could educate me about the different options i have...i want to spend the least possible since the rims are a lot...if some1 could help me out that would be great...im gettin 18" rims for size purposes...and can some1 show me what i need to paint my calipers...and what color would u prefer on cayenne red mettalic car...Thanks Jason
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM

is the only reason you are getting new rotors is because they are getting rusty looking? where are they rusty looking? Best to just have them checked for thickness and to see if they are warped. if thickness is fine and not warped. then they are good.. And a rotor will rust on non-contact points. it's what they.. and i do not think they have rotors that will not rust after time....
Old 01-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Before I had my zinc coated rotors, I painted mine with engine enamel.

For rotors already used/rusted.
Use a wire brush on a drill to get the rust off. Clean off with alcohol.
Prime and let it dry then paint. Light coatings and several of them. I never even roughed it up between coats. I actually found the flat black does best. If you want it to look glossy, some high temp clear really does well on the flat. Make sure to do the center and edges. IMO it looks like crap when people do the center and the edges are all rusty.
I didn't tape anything off either. I just reinstalled with the old pads and let them take the paint off the friction surface.

POR also sells some decent paint kits that would work here too. Then there is the caliper paint kit from Duplicolor.

Other options:
If you can get the rust off well enough, get them powder coated or zinc washed. It'll probably be cheaper than buying new rotors. Again, the pads will quickly remove any coating on the friction areas or you could have them resurfaced.