Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Few Suspension Qs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Few Suspension Qs

Alright, this winter I'm planning alot of suspension and drivetrain changes like auto to M6 conversion, UMI road race k member, wolfe bolt in cage, struts and springs, and mabye brakes if money allows

I made a post on ls1tech about coilovers vs regular springs and struts and it seemed that springs and struts is a better way to go, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a strut and spring combo. I'd like to get the koni/strano setup, but I'm looking for a little more drop that 1.2" I'm leaning more towards either eibach or ST springs to get a little more rear drop out of the car. But I plan on getting into some road racing next year and I think that the strano parts would be alot better suited then. y question is how much drop can I get by removing the rear spring isolators and doing the "hose mod?" I just prefer the rear to sit a little lower or even with the front rather than higher.

But if anyone has any info on suspension setups that they have for road racing I'd really appreciate it. My car is going to remain a nice day driver, but a little harsher ride doesn't bother me if the handeling improves and if I like the road racing I plan on doing it more than a few times a year

Thanks in advance guys
Old 10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Probably a good idea to use the correct nomenclature. The stock 4th Gen suspension is a coil-over spring and shock in the front, and individual coil and shock in the rear. Your only option for converting to a coil-over is in the rear. Your option in the front is to make the coil-over adjustable for height.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 PM

For info on road race suspension setups look around at FRRAX.com
Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 PM

If your going to get into road racing later, it's best to get the right parts the first time, otherwise you'll be replacing them later. Give Sam Strano a call; he'll spend the time with you do discuss your options.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by turnin20s
I'd like to get the koni/strano setup, but I'm looking for a little more drop that 1.2" I'm leaning more towards either eibach or ST springs to get a little more rear drop out of the car. But I plan on getting into some road racing next year and I think that the strano parts would be alot better suited then. y question is how much drop can I get by removing the rear spring isolators and doing the "hose mod?" I just prefer the rear to sit a little lower or even with the front rather than higher.

But if anyone has any info on suspension setups that they have for road racing I'd really appreciate it. My car is going to remain a nice day driver, but a little harsher ride doesn't bother me if the handeling improves and if I like the road racing I plan on doing it more than a few times a year
On a daily driver, I wouldn't go to the lower springs. Mine is a little less than 1.5" and it is far from optimum. I've had bumps cause the rear to hit the exhaust, the air dam and exhaust scrapes on mild inclines and this is with Mac headers and Y pipe.

For ride quality, look for softer rear springs like Stano or Hotchkis. These cars really have light back sides and don't need heavy springs, but can take quite a bit of spring up front. With stiff rear springs they ride like crap. I'm now in the process of installing Hotchkis springs instead of B+G. I have the rears on and the improvement is great already. Trust me, that little harsher ride can become an issue. On a daily driver, giving up some comfort may be OK at first but can quickly become something you don't want to deal with later on.

Stay away from Eibach. Their rear spring are known to sag after a few years. You'll be setting lower in the rear than the front.

Here is a useful link to most major spring rates for 4th gens.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

The !isolator mod drops ~.5"

Either spend a lot of time researching on here, ls1tech and ffrax or just call and talk to Sam.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 10-29-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM

I thought Eibachs were not suppose to sag. Anyways, had mine for ten years and they look the same height to me. Not that there are not better springs out there. I would see what Sam recommends.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Thanks guys, I have already been talking to Sam and I think I'm going to use his setup with the konis. And Injuneer I know that the fronts are already coilovers, but at first I thought having an adjustable suspension would be better, but it just looks like it would cause alot of problems, such as alignment after even small changes so a set ride height will be fine for me as long as I can get the rear to sit level with the front or slightly lower since I don't like a raked stance.

Thanks for the replies and if anyone has any other places that make road race parts for 4th gens please post it up for me