Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Drag springs, shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 PM

Drag springs, shocks and struts

Can someone reccomend a good drag spring, struts, and shocks for a 1993-1997 camaro that will see weekend track duty? I dont mind a harsh ride. So far Ive looked into the eibach drag springs but I dont want to deal with the airbag.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:46 PM

Re: Drag springs, shocks and struts

I have the HAL QA-1 shocks/struts and springs. They have adjustable valving which helps with suspension tuning and ride stiffness. They seem to work well for me.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I run the QA1/HAL single-adjustable shocks and the QA1/HAL drag springs in the front, QA1/HAL single adjustable shocks and the Eibach Drag Launch springs in the back.

Not sure why you are concerned about an airbag.... its an effective way to keep the car level on a hard launch, and the install is very simple. The alternative would be a Wolfe or Spohn "drag" style sway bar, but that is going to be a compromise for a street car.

Minor point, but there are no "struts" on a 4th Gen F-Body. They are all "shocks"..... the fronts just happen to be shocks with a coil-over spring arrangement.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 PM

I used to run the QA1 single adjustable shock and drag spring up front. My local track had a short "run off" area after the 1/4 mile so I had to get on the brakes pretty good; the nose dive front the single adjustable shocks would cause the front tires to rub on the inner fender liners. A solution might be the double adjustable QA1 shocks so you can control rebound.

Last edited by OBE1 95Z28; 09-14-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the good info. After looking at some of the QA1 products I have a couple of more questions if I may. My first question is what is the difference between the single adjustable, double adjustable, and drag race R's for the front? The drag race R's I'm assuming are 90/10's or something to that nature which makes them hard to use on the street? same question about double and single for the rear also. Then last but not least I noticed that Injuneers friend with the Vert is using stock 94 springs. Whats the spring rate for convertable 94 f-bodies and whats the spring rate for hardtop/t-top f-bodies?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

His 97 SS convertible was running the Eibach Drag Launch springs. When they were trying to drop the 60-fts into the low 1.3's Madman suggested he use "stock" springs, so we swapped my stock 94 Formula coupe springs into his 97 SS, and I now use the Eibachs. I haven't really tried my car with the 300-shot, so I have no idea how its going to hook up with the current setup. I have launched it with a 125-shot, and it hooked fine.

The 97 SS used QA1/HAL single adjustable shocks in the back, and Afco double adjustables with an Afco drag spring in the front. Madman sells the Afco double adjustables for $800 with springs.

Best 60-ft was 1.30, and I think he could have dropped it into the 1.2x's if he would have launched it a bit harder off the trans brake. 1.30 seems a bit weak for a car making 1,350HP. But he sold the car after only running it for a few months, so we'll never know.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
His 97 SS convertible was running the Eibach Drag Launch springs. When they were trying to drop the 60-fts into the low 1.3's Madman suggested he use "stock" springs, so we swapped my stock 94 Formula coupe springs into his 97 SS, and I now use the Eibachs. I haven't really tried my car with the 300-shot, so I have no idea how its going to hook up with the current setup. I have launched it with a 125-shot, and it hooked fine.

The 97 SS used QA1/HAL single adjustable shocks in the back, and Afco double adjustables with an Afco drag spring in the front. Madman sells the Afco double adjustables for $800 with springs.

Best 60-ft was 1.30, and I think he could have dropped it into the 1.2x's if he would have launched it a bit harder off the trans brake. 1.30 seems a bit weak for a car making 1,350HP. But he sold the car after only running it for a few months, so we'll never know.
Do you have the madman website? I tried google and got nada.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Do you have the madman website? I tried google and got nada.
http://www.madmanandcoracing.com/
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the good info. I ordered BMR sub frame connectors, BMR LCA's poly poly (Even though I wanted Poly /spher but was told thats strictly race and wont last at all on a street car ), Relocation brakets, ADJ panhard bar. Next will be the QA1 sing adj shocks all around and front spring next. Last will be mabey a TQ arm bar. That should be enough for a mid/low 400rwhp N/A car 550-600rwhp on spray.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:20 PM

I run the QA1/HAL single-adjustable shocks and the QA1/HAL drag springs in the front, QA1/HAL single adjustable shocks and the Eibach Drag Launch springs in the back.

Not sure why you are concerned about an airbag.... its an effective way to keep the car level on a hard launch, and the install is very simple. The alternative would be a Wolfe or Spohn "drag" style sway bar, but that is going to be a compromise for a street car.

Minor point, but there are no "struts" on a 4th Gen F-Body. They are all "shocks"..... the fronts just happen to be shocks with a coil-over spring arrangement.
Does ur setup lower ur car at all?? just wondering sounds like a very good setup
Old 01-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

The front is set at stock ride height, since the QA1/HAL front shocks are adjustable for ride height. In the back, the Eibach Drag Launch springs raised the body about 1/2".
Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 PM

thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 AM

Do you happen to know what spring rate he was using up front or what spring rate is reccomended for a vert up front?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

He went to the stock 94 Formula springs in the rear, and got the Afco coil-overs for the front. He got them from Madman, so you might be able to find out from Madman (recently partnered with Thunder Racing).

Old 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM

How do these shocks work out on the street? I am interested in getting a set.

Quick Reply: Drag springs, shocks and struts