Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Cheapest lower control arm (front, aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:01 PM

Cheapest lower control arm (front, aftermarket)

I need to replace my ball joints and I'm looking to replace the whole lower control arm with bushings and new ball joint installed. It is INSANE how expensive these things are. What's the cheapest aftermarket (tubular preferred) out there? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 PM

Spohn or Umiperformance offer aftermarket replacments, but they aren't exactly cheap either.
http://www.umiperformance.com/Search...?CategoryID=79
http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1180
Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the links. I've seen both of those before and I was hoping to find a pair cheaper ($300 or less). How anyone can charge $400 for something that costs $10 in parts is a CRIME.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by CobraEatr
Thanks for the links. I've seen both of those before and I was hoping to find a pair cheaper ($300 or less). How anyone can charge $400 for something that costs $10 in parts is a CRIME.
Are you crazy man? You are willing to put "cheap" junk parts on the front of your car and risk them to break possible hurting you? You are nuts man, just nuts. Companies like BMR, UMI, LG and Spohn have reputations that prove there items are good, why risk for $70-$100?

Also any one in there right mind that thinks it only cost $10 to make a set of A-arms is crazy. Lets see here, Moog ball joints $25.00 each x 2 = $50, Good rod ends approx. $25.00 each x 4= $100, Material $18-30 depending on type, Tube adaptors $5.00 each= $20. Now you have fabricating time, weld time, powder coat, assemble and also they need money to cover there design time right? So I got $200.00 JUST in material not including any time it takes to make the item.

Rethink what you are saying
Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You need to slow you roll son and watch what the h*ll you're saying.

I asked a simple question and I would appreciate a simple, non-aggressive answer. While I understand what it takes to make an a-arm, you're completely stupid if you don't think that companies like BMR and UMI are marking up thier products to make a crazy high profit. There ARE cheaper a-arms out there that are just as good as the big name companies.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You need to slow you roll son and watch what the h*ll you're saying.

I asked a simple question and I would appreciate a simple, non-aggressive answer. While I understand what it takes to make an a-arm, you're completely stupid if you don't think that companies like BMR and UMI are marking up thier products to make a crazy high profit. There ARE cheaper a-arms out there that are just as good as the big name companies.
Sorry for giving you a hard time.

But first, a company needs to make money to stay in business, correct? So if they sell the item to you at what it cost to make it how long do you think they will stay in business?

Second, please post these cheaper a-arms and proof they hold up. I just think its silly when you get into a area as critical as steering why go as cheap as you can? When one cracks (if it would) it can send you flying into who knows what.

So if this cheaper company sells a set of A-Arms $20.00 a set they are doubling there money, correct?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

most of those cheaper a-arms are not gusseted , welded, fabbed the same....They will break. If you don't have the money then just buy ball joints and bushings
Old 01-04-2007, 12:22 PM

I see what you are saying, if that is the case, probably the cheapest way around it is as mentioned above, just replace the bushings and ball joints with a good aftermarket replacement. That is the route I plan on going when that time comes in the near future, I just cannot afford brand new upper and lower tubular control arms that offer no real benefit to me other then some slight weight savings and better appearance.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I just cannot afford brand new upper and lower tubular control arms that offer no real benefit to me other then some slight weight savings and better appearance.
EXACTLY!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM

A couple things a lot of folks don't think about when doing the aftermarket and adjustable A-Arm swap is ...

- a way to get the car to the alignment shop. Your alignment will be screwed and may not be driveable.

- an alignment shop that will work with adjustable components. Not every shop has a tech that really understands what's going on under there.

When I installed my LG lowers the wheels were sitting at such gross angles, I could barely get the car on the trailer. and once on the alignment rack, the tech worked for almost 3 hours getting everything adjusted. The alignment cost me almost $200.

Last edited by mitchntx; 01-04-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 AM

Um...I have a simple question. Why? The stock upper and lower A-arms are actually quite good. You may reach the limits and feel the need to upgrade to something stronger and lighter, but for street and occassional track use, the stockers are fine. Get a good set of Moog ball joints and 1LE bushings. It's more than you'll most likely ever need. The minimal weight savings is very small...save your money and put it into other parts. While spherical rod ends and such (sound) look cool, they are overkill and prone to short life spans.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
nfa

Its not just the material / labour cost that these manufacturers need to factor into their prices, its the engineering and r&d time spent in designing it. The lower control arm sees significant levels of stress - more so than something like a panhard bar or rear LCA. If it breaks, you will likely crash. For drag racing, Im sure the offerings from spohn et al are ok, but for a street/roadcourse car, I wouldnt trust any front lower control arm other than the LG unit.

While I understand what it takes to make an a-arm, you're completely stupid if you don't think that companies like BMR and UMI are marking up thier products to make a crazy high profit. There ARE cheaper a-arms out there that are just as good as the big name companies.