Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ceramic pads from Autozone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:24 PM

Ceramic pads from Autozone?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...%7ENONE%7C%7EV

Anybody know anything about these? They're mighty cheap to be claiming ceramic. I figured that when ceramic finally became available they'd be a few hundred a set. Are these crap? Anybody used them?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Re: Ceramic pads from Autozone?

I got some bosch ceramics from there for 45$ for the front, they are pretty decent, no dust, no noise, stop well, lifetime warranty, im pleased.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM

FWIW, I was in a bind last Thursday nite. The rear pads on my 2000 were shot and I wanted to go to the YearOne show Friday morning. I've had good luck with Autozone's Performance Friction Metallic pads on my daily drivers and figured I'd grab a set for the Z/28 to get thru the week-end. Turns out they don't make the metallic pads for the rear of an LS-1 Camaro but had "organic pads" (part number D750). I'm not sure what "organic" pads are but it was getting late and they were cheap and I figured all I needed was to get thru the week-end.

The new pads had two ears on the axle side of the outer pad that were not on the pads that came off. These ears would not clear the caliper bracket. I ground the ears off and then noticed that the tab on the side of the outer pad away from the axle was longer than the one on the old pads. The pads seemed to go on O.K. and pulled up tight.

Got home Friday nite and noticed about half the rear rotor was rusted from the rain we had. The tab on the outer pads was keeping them from pulling up flat with the rotor. I went to Advance Auto Parts and grabbed a set of their cheappie pads. The backing plates on those looked like the ones on the old pads. Put them on and no problems.

I know the brakes on the LT-1's and LS-1's are different but the Autozone rear pads for the LS-1's are wrong. I'd take an inner and outer pad with you and make sure the ones you get match up with the old ones.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM

I just installed those about 3 weeks ago and I haven’t had a problem with them at all no noise or brake dust. I did front and rear morse ceramic and their duralast brake rotors. Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM

i work for autozone and i've noticed they occassionally do have a part the doesnt fit perfectly

the organic pads are just that, an organic friction compound, it doesnt stop as well as semi mtallic, but semi metallic like to eat up rotors over time

the morse ceramic pads, are rarely ever returned with a complaint, so i'd say they're pretty good, i'm going to use them when i put ls1 brakes on my 3rd gen, and like organics, they dont eat up rotors

the performance friction pads are the best semi metallics autozone sells, but thats just autozone, and the big pad companies, like performance friction and morse cermaic dont typicaly waste their time with the tiny pads used on rear brakes

i've never seen bosch ceramic pads at autozone, if u could tell me where u got them, with a lifetime warranty, i'd appreciate it

if u still have those duralast organic pads (d750) you can return them and get your money back, since u put a different set of pads on
Old 04-27-2005, 11:27 AM

Thank you for the information about the pads. I can't remember buying anything at Autozone that didn't fit (but I also can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday) and really like the performance friction pads, so I was surprised when I had the problem with the rear brake pads.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 PM

I have the performance friction on the front. They are holding up very well with slotted rotors and a few autocross passes on them now. I'm gonna get the cheapest things they have for the rear this time though since I need to trade the car in soon.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:41 AM

i bought them pads, thought about it and returned them and bought HAWK pads elsewhere!

Best choice i ever made

HAWK
Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Huh I've been waiting to put ceramics on my Trans Am but didn't want to shell out the 90 that Napa wants. It pisses me off that AutoZone doesn't list these for the 94 Trans Am but they do for the 94 Camaro If you didn't post this I never would have realized that they had ceramics for our cars. Looks like I know what I'm buying next week...
Old 05-08-2005, 01:21 PM

Camaro and Trans Am calipers and pads are the same. Just tell them you need them for a Camaro.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:02 PM

I know that I just never thought to search under Camaro when Ceramic pads didn't come up for the Trans Am.