Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brakes?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Brakes?!

Had a quick question...I went to go change the rear brakes today as I had already done the front ones but when I took off the old pads, one of the, pads was worn unevenly. Also, the caliper seemed to be crooked to the point where I could not get the caliper with new pads in place, to fit over the rotor. This mean I need a new caliper? i depressed it back in place and the boot did not seem broken but pretty sure thats what I have to do but just wondering because I never had to change one out b4,lol..only pads and rotors
Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM

I would change both rear calipers. Calipers should be changed in pairs.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlackDog
I would change both rear calipers. Calipers should be changed in pairs.
yea, i always change everything dealing with brakes in pairs, i guess ill just change out both of them and say the hell with it. thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM

The uneven wear is pretty normal since they are single piston calipers, however, it sounds like the one may have been warped by heat. I would definately replace it. In pairs is good since they are likely a different manufacturer than stock and you may get an odd bias if only replacing one. Beware of the factory refurbs. Alot of times the bias can be different with the same manufacturer even when new(this happens to the Impala guys all the time on their front calipers).
Old 01-14-2007, 02:45 PM

double check to make sure the caliper is fully seated
do u know if your ebrake cable was ever adjusted?, if someone adjusted the ebrake cable without putting in new pads they may have adjusted the ebrake too far, but i'm not sure because i've never adjusted my ebrake

also check if our caliper guide pins are well lubricated
Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 AM

Start with the simple, check the E brake adjustment, any chiltons gives you the basics for this. Very simple, adjusts with a allen wrench. If not the solution buy the calipers. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by respectirocz
double check to make sure the caliper is fully seated
do u know if your ebrake cable was ever adjusted?, if someone adjusted the ebrake cable without putting in new pads they may have adjusted the ebrake too far, but i'm not sure because i've never adjusted my ebrake

also check if our caliper guide pins are well lubricated

Werd. I would do this before replacing a rear, more than likely aluminum,caliper. A hunk of aluminum tends not to "warp" as fast as say a rotor would. I would check everything for sure. I've never seen a caliper warp. For there to be that much heat generated to make it warp is unlikely, especially from a rear caliper. I would buy a rebuild kit before buying a new cal. Those PBR pieces aren't cheap.

Will
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM

actually hunks of aluminum can warp faster than a rotor (like a cylinder head), but in the case of brakes, the aluminum caliper will never get as hot as the brake rotor.
personally i would rather change out the whole caliper rather than rebuild it
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM

and as always, flush and replace the brake fluid.......sorry, go tthe hawk pads staring at me on my desk and i must read that a dozen times a day. makes sense tho