Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:16 PM

Re: Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

Originally Posted by lt1aggie
still no pictures...anyone?
The link above with Installation information for the brackets has a pic that I believe is of the newer brackets, but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by LWillmann
The link above with Installation information for the brackets has a pic that I believe is of the newer brackets, but I'm not 100% on that.
thanks man..i missed it earlier.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:45 PM

if anyone can send me dimensions of the brackets i can work on making them in my spare time at work.
i'll make changes as i see fit so that i'm not infringing on the design, i just need the important numbers.

mike
Old 03-09-2005, 09:04 PM

Probably not going to happen. I don't think Bob will give that out to just anyone. There are many liability issues concerning the brackets, especially if a person was to try to sell them. It's more than the brackets too. It has to do with bolts and other mounting hardware.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

i wasn't talking about bob specifically, anyone that buys a set or knows anyone with a set can measure them up with a set of calipers. if he's not willing to make them then he shouldn't complain about others making them.

how much do they cost btw??
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by limige
i wasn't talking about bob specifically, anyone that buys a set or knows anyone with a set can measure them up with a set of calipers. if he's not willing to make them then he shouldn't complain about others making them.

how much do they cost btw??
i've heard 300. i'm not sure though.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 AM

They were about $280 including all the bolts. The type of bolts are critical. You'll need to be an engineer to figure out that part.

Seriously. I'd be very cautious in trying to make and sell these. If anything happens due to poor design, you're in serious trouble from a liability point of view.

It was a complete engineered kit, not just a bracket with some bolts thrown in.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by bruecksteve
Probably not going to happen. I don't think Bob will give that out to just anyone. There are many liability issues concerning the brackets, especially if a person was to try to sell them. It's more than the brackets too. It has to do with bolts and other mounting hardware.
There was mention at one point of Bob working with a specific person to allow that person to continue to have the brackets made. I'm not sure on the status of that discussion though, so I can't give any specifics.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 AM

It's being considered. He wants to make sure that there is enough interest to justify the expense of making them. My guess it that it will happen, maybe pretty soon.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by lateapex
I am aware of only 4 wheels that do not fit over the C5 front brakes:

1. Enkei Win (17” x 9.5”)
2. ’93-’94 SLP Firehawk wheel (17” x 9”, I believe it was made by ROH)
3. Borbet Type T (17” x 9.5”)
4. Forgeline RS “reverse rim” (I had custom Forgelines made with their 17” x 9.5” rims, reversed, to use their 18” centers. That put the drop-center near the outside of the rim where it interfered with the C5 caliper)

The first 3 of the above may very well fit if wheel spacers are used. The reverse Forgelines had RIM interference, not SPOKE, so would not have been useable even with spacers. The early Firehawk wheel had a 6.875” backspace, and the spokes curved inward severely: http://members.aol.com/anastasis2/black94hawk.htm ,similar to the Borbets. I would be suspicious of any wheel that has a really deep dish on the outside of the spokes.

By the way, I have not verified the incompatibility of the first 3 wheels. It is from feedback from 3 customers (out of over 220), but I fully believe that they were correct. IIRC, the person with the Enkeis did not actually try them over C5 brakes, but determined the incompatibility by using my fitment template in his Enkeis.
Hey I have the newer style SLP Firehawk rims (bought in 2000), will the C5s fit my wheels?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Black_95Formula
Hey I have the newer style SLP Firehawk rims (bought in 2000), will the C5s fit my wheels?
In another post you mention that you are looking at installing the Baer C5 system. The Baer GT+ kit uses a 13.15” diameter rotor. My adaptors are made for the C5/Z06 front rotors, which are 12.8” diameter. So a wheel that is compatible with my kit may not be with the Baer kit.

You could get helpful information at the SLP site or from their complete catalog. It lists all of the wheels they have marketed and gives all of the critical dimensions. Since Baer provides the necessary clearance dimensions on their fitment template, you could determine if their system will clear your Firehawk wheels. Remember, Baer wisely recommends that you have at least .100” (a tenth of an inch) clearance between the outer face of the caliper and the inside of the spokes, and the same clearance between the outer circumference of the caliper and the inner circumference of the wheel rim.

The later Firehawk wheels DO clear the C5 front brakes using C5 front rotors with my adaptor brackets.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 PM

I just ordered the Baer GT+ kit. This is basically the C5 brake kit on a 13.15" rotor.