CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   Bob Bishop bracket clearance question... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/bob-bishop-bracket-clearance-question-343373/)

LWillmann 02-21-2005 10:52 AM

Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

I know there is a template available to check if a wheel will clear the C5 brake upgrade using Bob Bishop's brackets.

But, I do not have either the brackets OR the wheels I plan to use yet, and am hoping that someone out there either has tried them, or is willing to check their wheels against the template to see if they will clear.

I'm planning to go with American Racing Torque Thrust II's 17x9.5" with 7" backspacing (I believe that's right, I plan to use their 4th gen setup).

Does anyone know if the TTIIs will clear Bob's brackets?

NOSCaMaRo 02-22-2005 08:10 PM

Re: Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

Originally Posted by LWillmann
I know there is a template available to check if a wheel will clear the C5 brake upgrade using Bob Bishop's brackets.

But, I do not have either the brackets OR the wheels I plan to use yet, and am hoping that someone out there either has tried them, or is willing to check their wheels against the template to see if they will clear.

I'm planning to go with American Racing Torque Thrust II's 17x9.5" with 7" backspacing (I believe that's right, I plan to use their 4th gen setup).

Does anyone know if the TTIIs will clear Bob's brackets?

Well I know you need at least a 17" wheel but I am not sure if there would any issues with your or not. I have clearance with my 17" WS6 wheels

merim123 02-25-2005 10:33 PM

I have the SS 17's with my setup and I have no clearance problems. I don't know what the specs are for the ss wheels but if you check and compare you can see if you are close. There's a decent amount of room in there, it's not that tight.

LWillmann 02-25-2005 10:55 PM

I don't have the wheels or the brackets yet. That's the thing, I was hoping had those wheels and those brackets and could tell from experience. Either that or if someone had the TTII wheels and would print the test template to see.

maybe I can ask the manufacturer to check them for me.

bruecksteve 02-26-2005 12:40 PM

Lee, I know stock SS 17x9's fit over the C5 brakes because I'm going to use those for testing this year on my car and have already tried them on.

They would not fit over my 17x9.5" Borbet Type T wheels because the spokes of the wheel curved to far in toward the center of the wheel. As long as the center of the wheel (the end of the spokes closest to the caliper) are far enough out, you'll be great. I'll try to find the template for you.

94formulabz 02-26-2005 03:00 PM

I have a set of brackets too which i picked up to be installed in the future sometime. Since we are on the topic though, anyone know if they fit over Enkei Winsome's? Or i'll print the template if you can find it Steve.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

thanks,
Brent

stereomandan 02-26-2005 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94formulabz
I have a set of brackets too which i picked up to be installed in the future sometime. Since we are on the topic though, anyone know if they fit over Enkei Winsome's? Or i'll print the template if you can find it Steve.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

thanks,
Brent

Here's the template:
http://chris96ws6.fbodyclassifieds.c...s/template.pdf

Install Stuff:
http://chris96ws6.fbodyclassifieds.com/c5brakes/

Dan

LWillmann 02-26-2005 08:33 PM

Maybe someone could start a list of wheels known to fit with these brackets? Would that even be of any help?

bruecksteve 02-26-2005 08:50 PM

Or maybe just a list that don't!! It sure would have saved me some money!! :D

Copernicus325 02-26-2005 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by bruecksteve

Hehe, well if you decide to keep the wheels just let me know, I will take your brackets and other pieces off your hands :)

*Still interested in a set of Bob Bishop Brackets from anyone nice enough to part with them*

Copernicus325 02-27-2005 07:50 AM

*bumpy bump*

bruecksteve 02-27-2005 08:14 AM

Nope! Mine are installed! Sorry. There is a pretty good waiting list for another set of brackets too.

lateapex 02-27-2005 01:57 PM

I am aware of only 4 wheels that do not fit over the C5 front brakes:

1. Enkei Win (17” x 9.5”)
2. ’93-’94 SLP Firehawk wheel (17” x 9”, I believe it was made by ROH)
3. Borbet Type T (17” x 9.5”)
4. Forgeline RS “reverse rim” (I had custom Forgelines made with their 17” x 9.5” rims, reversed, to use their 18” centers. That put the drop-center near the outside of the rim where it interfered with the C5 caliper)

The first 3 of the above may very well fit if wheel spacers are used. The reverse Forgelines had RIM interference, not SPOKE, so would not have been useable even with spacers. The early Firehawk wheel had a 6.875” backspace, and the spokes curved inward severely: http://members.aol.com/anastasis2/black94hawk.htm ,similar to the Borbets. I would be suspicious of any wheel that has a really deep dish on the outside of the spokes.

By the way, I have not verified the incompatibility of the first 3 wheels. It is from feedback from 3 customers (out of over 220), but I fully believe that they were correct. IIRC, the person with the Enkeis did not actually try them over C5 brakes, but determined the incompatibility by using my fitment template in his Enkeis.

Xride 02-27-2005 02:07 PM

Nope! Mine are installed! Sorry. There is a pretty good waiting list for another set of brackets too.

any word if he was going to make another run?

I bet I could get 5 pre orders jsut from people local.

Or hell they look like they are CNC'ed, if someone gets me the file I know someone that I can get a deal through.

LWillmann 03-02-2005 11:46 PM

I just got word back from American Racing about the template...

Here's what they had to say:

The brake will not fit the 505-79563, it hits the center about where the "ou" on out side is on the template you sent. It will work on the 18" wheel.
Looks like the Torque Thrust II wheels for the F-Body (17x9.5 with a 7" backspace) will hit the caliper.

The C5 bracket is really overkill for my uses, I might need to consider just going with the LS1 upgrade instead.