Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 AM

Re: Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...

I have a friend with a 2002 Firehawk with Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads and braided lines and using 275 tires on 9" wheels.

I use C5 brakes, braided lines, stock Z06 pads and 315's on 11" wheels.

We both made 60-0 runs and measured our stopping distances with a G-Tech Pro

His best - 138 feet
My best - 114 feet

And that distance only gets greater as the speed goes up.

Still a BIG difference between LS1 brakes and C5 brakes.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 AM

I can understand that, and I don't dispute that the C5 brakes are better. But my car is a street car that sees occasional drag racing time. I don't drive my that hard any more.

It would be interesting to have seen a stock LT1 stopping distance in that test.

This brake upgrade is mainly because it feels like I have to stand on the brake pedal in my car to get the car to stop quickly, while my wife's 2001 V6 car will stand on the nose if you press the pedal 1/2 as hard.

The Torque Thrust II wheels are the only part that I've made a firm decision on for my car. Those are the wheels I want. I just haven't found another set that I feel looks as good. I just can't get excited about any other wheels really.

On another note, since the email mentioned 'the 18" wheel' I have contacted them about an 18" version. That might allow me to run the brackets.

Since I don't autocross or road race my car, would a set of wheel spacers be acceptable for the front?

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the C5 brakes than LS1 brakes. But considering my stock brakes stop my car fine, either would be an upgrade, and I do love those wheels.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Is there anyone we can bribe with snacks and various other incentives to come out of retirement and make some more brackets? The demand is obviously there for them
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Lee, I use spacers in the rear and would probably use them in the front if I didn't have 36mm offset wheels up there. Mine are 1/4" and other than using longer studs (1/4" longer), I haven't had any trouble.

I don't think I'd want to use one that's much thicker though. Maybe 1/2" but I don't know that I'd trust it for real hard driving.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 PM

nooo we cant have anyone come out and start making them again. with how often i see people ask about bob's brackets, im half tempted to sell mine for a profit and get an aftermarket brake system :P

j/k
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM

He said there's about 3/8" of an inch of interferance I think.

I'm going to pass on those brackets.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:39 AM

I have the C5/z06 brake kit from Bob Bishop installed on my Trans Am, and I can tell you without a doubt, that Enkie Winsome wheels do not fit over these brakes. I have to use a 3/16" (minimum) spacer to get the wheels to clear. I also had a set of Wilwood 6-pistons on the front prior to the z06 brakes and those required at least 1/4" spacers to clear the Enkie's.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Houdini
I have the C5/z06 brake kit from Bob Bishop installed on my Trans Am, and I can tell you without a doubt, that Enkie Winsome wheels do not fit over these brakes. I have to use a 3/16" (minimum) spacer to get the wheels to clear. I also had a set of Wilwood 6-pistons on the front prior to the z06 brakes and those required at least 1/4" spacers to clear the Enkie's.
Just curious how you would rate the Wilwoods to the Z06 brakes?

Dan
Old 03-05-2005, 09:45 PM

I never really had a chance to get a good feel for the wilwoods. I had to run such large spacers with the wheels to clear the wilwoods that I never felt comfortable pushing the bakes too hard (only put about 150 miles on them). I thought by selling the wilwoods and switching to the zo6 brakes that I would be able to run with out spacers... and I was wrong. About the only thing I could tell you is that the pedel feel with the wilwoods was much better, dont get me wrong here, the zo6 brakes are good (light-years ahead of the LT1's)... they just dont have the initial bit of the wilwoods. Hoped that helped.

I guess if I had to choose between the two I would get the wilwoods.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Copernicus325
Is there anyone we can bribe with snacks and various other incentives to come out of retirement and make some more brackets? The demand is obviously there for them
does anyone have some pictures of these brackets? I'm curious to see what they look like.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:37 PM

I would LOVE to see someone make a set of brackets for the new zo6 brakes or even the CTS-V brakes... now that would be worth the money!!!

The CTS-V brakes are 4-piston calipers with 14" rotors, the calipers are made by Brembo!! Go to gmpartsdirect and type in part# 89047726 and 89047727, those are the part#s for the CTS-V front calipers. They sell for $99 bucks! the only problem is the rotors are 6-lug, someone would have to make a 5-lug 14" rotor that would work for us. Just something to think about...................

Last edited by Houdini; 03-05-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:23 PM

If you went with 14" rotors you would have to have (at a minimum) a 18" wheel.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 PM

I went to the site but the brackets are no longer listed, any help here would be greatly appreciated. Also what would be need to put on the rear C5 calipers on my LT1. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject just started looking into bigger brakes.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Old 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM

At this point, there are no plans to make anymore brackets. BUT.... depending on demand, Kevin could be persuaded to re-think that.

You really don't need C5 brakes on the rear. Since more than 80% of the braking takes place on the front brakes, it's too much trouble and to expensive to design a conversion for the rear brakes.

What I plan on doing is installing a brake proportioning valve to send a little more braking to the rear. That, plus a decent rear pad, will be all I need to get the braking system balanced.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 AM

still no pictures...anyone?

Quick Reply: Bob Bishop bracket clearance question...