Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bad brake night

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM

Bad brake night

Last night I decided that I was going to finally do the brakes on my car. I had new pads and rotors for all 4 corners and new calipers in front because the LS1 swap I picked up a few years ago had bad dust boots and the pistons were rusted a little bit. I painted the new ones up real nice like.

First up was were the rears. Starting with the right rear, I cant seem to get the piston to compress at all, open the bleeder up and still nothing. Tell the old man to hop in the car and stand on the brakes while I watch the piston....yup, doesnt move at ALL. Guess thats why the rotor was pretty rusted up So i need a new rear caliper and figure Ill just replace them both.

Ok fine, ill do the fronts tonight at least. Start on the right front, take off the old caliper fine and dandy, bolt the new one up real easy, then put on the brake line, which when tightening down, I proceed to strip the hell out of the caliper mounting holeThat sucks big time because I now need a new front right one.

FINE, ill just put the old one back on and well do this another day.....Not so fast my friend....during the stripping of the new caliper, i must have messed up the brake line bolt a little bit because putting it back in the old caliper, it leaks when you stand on the brakes. Enough so that I wouldnt want to drive it anywhere but to a mechanics shop. So ive decided to take it to a good shop around here and have them do it. I dont want to deal with any of that again.