Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Anyone ever put 4 channel axles (reluctors on each end) in a 3 channel rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:30 AM

Anyone ever put 4 channel axles (reluctors on each end) in a 3 channel rear end?

I got a good deal on a rear end, but it ends up it is for a 3 channel (single rear sensor) abs setup. Tonight me and my buddy pulled my axles out of my 4 channel rear (2 reluctors, one on each axle) and put them in my car. We left the reluctor gear in the housing and made a cover for the hole in the top.

Is there anything that will prevent this from working. We bolted up the backing plates and everything line up perfect.

Thanks,
James

PS- Anyone know how to tell a Zexel T2 from a TR2 (heavy duty)? This rear has 8 worm style gears instead of the spiders.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:40 AM

Re: Anyone ever put 4 channel axles (reluctors on each end) in a 3 channel rear end?

I don't know what you mean by "work". The ABS won't work, everything else will.

Rich
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM

Re: Anyone ever put 4 channel axles (reluctors on each end) in a 3 channel rear end?

Why wouldnt it? I have all the wires hooked up, I have the ABS backing plates and the ABS (reluctors on each axle) axles in. The sensors line right up on the reluctors like stock. The c clips lined straight up. The wheels turn just fine. The only thing is that it still has the reluctor on the gear ring and the hole in the top for the 3 channels sensor is covered by a plate I made.

You still see any reason that this wouldnt work?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I don't know what you mean by "work". The ABS won't work, everything else will.

Rich
I'm not sure what Rick is thinking but if you installed the axles and the sensors on the backing plates the system should work flawlessly. All you did was transfer the ABS sensing system from the old axle to the new one. As long as the gaps are good, it will work.

I'm not sure what the Zexel looks like but Detroit make a worm gear type limited slip dif that absolutely rocks. There are still clutches in it but a slipping tire causes the gears to apply pressure to or lock up the clutch pack. It's a mutch better setup than a spring type unit.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 AM

it doesnt matter that the ring gear still has a reluctor on it does it?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

I moved this to the "brakes" forum but you might want to try the drivetrain forum... kinda fits in both
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM

I *believe* Rich misread your post because i can't ever remember disagreeing with him before .

I have a 3 channel car and haven't done exactly what your attempting, but I have messed with combining 3channel and 4 channel parts into hybrid rear ends. It should work fine.

-brent
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 AM

It dosn't matter if the reloctor ring is there or not because you won't be using it. Also you are transfering all the parts you need for the four channel system, so it should work as it does now. You will also have to more the brake lines and hoses as the older system used one line to the rear brakes.