Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

anybody have these KYB agx shocks?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 PM

anybody have these KYB agx shocks?????

anybody have these????are they any good????are they junk????

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp
Old 12-17-2005, 04:46 AM

Re: anybody have these KYB agx shocks?????

I just had some installed. My car had 90k w/orignal shocks. It was squeaky and rough before I installed the KYB AGX adjustables. I set them all to 4 and it has been fantastic! Haven't needed to adjust them yet. They give a nice firm ride but not rough. The next step up is Koni, but they are over $1000 and thats just stupid. I have heard some people say that the KYB adjustables are either too stiff or too soft. They probably never owned any. I find them to be perfect set on 4.

EDIT:
I put the rear shocks on myself because it was easy. The front shocks are not that easy to replace so I had a shop do it. After 90k miles the mounts were worn so those were replaced also ($80 installed). The 3 shops I called all said that an alignment was needed afterwards so I had that done also ($60). I had just bought the car and waiting for an excuse to do that anyway.

So, if you going to go to all that expense and trouble anyway, get some good shocks! KYB AGX are fine shocks. I highly recommend them.

Last edited by samualt; 12-18-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:33 AM

I have had them for several years on the front. I keep them adjusted to the softest setting for weight transfer. For the money, they are great.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by samualt
I just had some installed. My car had 90k w/orignal shocks. It was squeaky and rough before I installed the KYB AGX adjustables. I set them all to 4 and it has been fantastic! Haven't needed to adjust them yet. They give a nice firm ride but not rough. The next step up is Koni, but they are over $1000 and thats just stupid. I have heard some people say that the KYB adjustables are either too stiff or too soft. They probably never owned any. I find them to be perfect set on 4.
Of course, you know the fronts are struts. That means it is best to have a shop install them. I let them replace the strut mounts also (they got bearings in them, $80 each at Pepboys). And, your supposed to have an alignment (Another $60) afterwards because you just messed with the structure of the whole front end. I put the rear shocks in myself. It wasn't hard at all.

So, if you going to go to all that expense and trouble anyway, get some good shocks! KYB AGX are fine shocks. I highly recommend them.
FYI, you are wrong about the front shocks, they are not struts, and do not have bearings in them.

Many times the upper mounts have to be replaced due to water / rust damage. But they are just rubber bushings and rubber coated steel. If you paid for strut bearings you need to go get your money back and the mounts are available from GMPD for around $50.00.

KYB are widely regarded as poor to average shocks, if you have never owned better shocks it is hard to explain the diffference, but it is there. Anything is better than 90k OEM shocks. Bilstein or koni would be a better way to go than KYB. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Z28
Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 PM

Here's the specs on the KYB AGX shocks, per a KYB tech:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=agx

As I mentioned in the link, they don't go much softer than stock, and don't help with weight tranfer. If that's what your looking for, save your money and go with Hals.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:31 PM

thanks everyone
Old 12-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Koni's are NOT $1000....................................

Please, please don't say that. While they are much more than AGX's, you can get onto 4 Koni's for $705 and up for a set of 4.

AGX's are not great. The adjustment is coarse, not velocity sensitive. And what I find is the softer end it too soft for good control. The upper end will control the car, but becomes pretty harsh on sharp imperfections. I ran a number of AGX's when the first came out, including on one Camaro that had Koni's. The difference was not small. The stocks shocks are so poor they tend to make anything look good. But you get what you pay for. I tried them on a Camaro, an Eclipse, an MR2 and a Mustang. The Eclipse and MR2 broke at least one in the first two months. The Camaro and Mustang did not break, but didn't work like they should've. Eclipse got Tokico Illumina's instead, and they on #2 had better control than the AGX's on #4 (full stiff on that shock) and rode better too. The Camaro just never was controlled as well as with the Koni's. The MR2 owner also bought Koni's very soon there after and was thrilled with the change. The Mustang guy stayed with the AGX's because I couldn't convince him what he was missing.

Just ask yourself how KYB's cost about the same (and sometimes less) than a set of non-adjustable Bilstein's, which are well known to be a high quality part, like Koni's but less costly because they lack all the adjustment mechanism. The answer it simple, the parts inside are cheap.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:27 PM

Of course, you know the fronts are struts. That means it is best to have a shop install them. I let them replace the strut mounts also (they got bearings in them, $80 each at Pepboys). And, your supposed to have an alignment (Another $60) afterwards because you just messed with the structure of the whole front end. I put the rear shocks in myself. It wasn't hard at all.

Your car must be a one-off!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 PM

The next step up is Koni, but they are over $1000 and thats just stupid. I have heard some people say that the KYB adjustables are either too stiff or too soft. They probably never owned any.

I'll relate this to tires. Cheap tires WILL NOT perform as well as good tires. I KNOW a Sumitomo will not improve my traction, braking or handle as well as my BFG KD and I didn't have to own a Sumi to know that. Yes, My KDs will cost more, but they will perform much better. Am I stupid for spending more than twive the cost of a Sumi tire for a KD to have better braking distances, handling and traction?

Guess that depends on if I'm just going to put around town and go from point a to point b OR if I'm going to drive the car like it was built.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:06 AM

Z28barnett:
Your right, they are shocks in the front. Oops! Also, I just assumed the mounts had bearings, my bad. Still, they wear out. The shop just said they looked worn, so I told them to replace them. In for a penny in for a pound.

You know, I've ridden in a Z28 with Koni's. I can't really tell the difference between the $1000 Koni's and the $250 KYB's...except that I paid 1/4 less. I guess it's like buying a Rolex. It doesn't keep better time or last longer but people swear by them. I like the KYB's very much. Of course, I also wear a Timex.

"People want economy and they will pay any price to get it." Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2005, 12:36 AM

There are some people out there that just want a good adjustable shock for the street, no competition, no auto cross. The AGX is a good choice for them.
You will be disappointed if your a hardcore drag racer or road racer/autocrosser. If your one of those.......spend the money on a good shock and spring combo.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 AM

I didn't notice this before, but Sumault your sig is wrong. The LS1 IS NOT a 350!!!! Sorry, but it just irritates me when people say they have a 350 when the LS1 is a 346. Also, saying LS1 V8 346CI would be redundant. Thats all covered with the 3 letters "LS1" since there are no other sizes of an LS1.

Ya, if you're just driving around you probably won't notice a difference. Just like I was saying with tires, but put it through the paces with and you should. Or just put some stiffer springs and see the difference. Look at the paperwork that comes with the shock, KYB is clear about the AGX not being designed to use on any aftermarket springs past a 1" drop and I guaranteee my B+G springs would own them with their rates even if they only dropped 1".
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Your post is insulting, I don't and didn't purchase items for status.

The fact that I am driving a camaro should have been your first clue.

I doubt if my Konis that I installed myself, cost more than your KYB and the bill you paid for installation and overpriced mounts.

If you want to justify the money you wasted on crappy shocks, be my guest, but don't take your frustration out on me.

For the record, I wear a Casio watch, not one of those overpriced Timex POS.

Z28

Z28barnett:
Your right, they are shocks in the front. Oops! Also, I just assumed the mounts had bearings, my bad. Still, they wear out. The shop just said they looked worn, so I told them to replace them. In for a penny in for a pound.

You know, I've ridden in a Z28 with Koni's. I can't really tell the difference between the $1000 Koni's and the $250 KYB's...except that I paid 1/4 less. I guess it's like buying a Rolex. It doesn't keep better time or last longer but people swear by them. I like the KYB's very much. Of course, I also wear a Timex.

"People want economy and they will pay any price to get it." Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2005, 04:04 PM

i have ile srpings at all four corners and don't really want to change those. i like the ride height. i don't ever autocross, only drag race. i need something that i can drive every day that doesn't ride like crap because i have drag shocks installed. i want the ride quality that have now but won't hinder me at the drag strip. does that help simplify a good choice??? i was looking at the kyb agx, bilstein II and the hd's konis are too much and so are qa1's. i am also putting the shocks on my self and have everything to do it but the shock so i don't need to factory in labor or misc. parts just the shocks.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
For the record, I wear a Casio watch...
I stand corrected. You are cheap!

Quick Reply: anybody have these KYB agx shocks?????