Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Adjustable LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Adjustable LCA's

I want to pull my rearend foreward. The reason is that it sits too far back and I won't be able to get a bigger tire on the car unless I center the rear in the tire well. I need to pull it forward about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch I believe.

Question, when I do this, will it affect the pinion angle of the torque arm? I have an adjustable UMI torque arm, so if it does affect it, I can compensate with this torque arm correct? I am unsure of of how all the suspension parts go together. Also, by pullling the rear foreward some, I won't be chaning the angle of my driveshaft and stressing it will it? Once I get the rear centered in the car I will be getting a Denny's Nitrous Ready Shaft, so I need to make sure I have everything set back there before I order the shaft.

Also, how do I know that pulling the rear won't affect where the springs rest on the perches over the axel tubes? I don't want to pull the rear too far foreward and cause the springs to be off center.

I have already e-mailed BMR and they said that their street adjustable LCA's will fit my needs. Here is a link, just scroll down till you see them:

http://bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

Does anyone have and experiance with adjustable LCA's and have any insight to my questions and anything else that I have not yet considered? Is there a better way to pull the rear forward than using adjustable LCA's?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy95TA
Question, when I do this, will it affect the pinion angle of the torque arm? I have an adjustable UMI torque arm, so if it does affect it, I can compensate with this torque arm correct?
You ought to be able to alter the length of the TA somewhat with the jam nuts at the rear. The pinion angle can be adjusted at the same time, there should be plenty of adjustment to compensate.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM

Question, when I do this, will it affect the pinion angle of the torque arm?
slightly.

I have an adjustable UMI torque arm, so if it does affect it, I can compensate with this torque arm correct? I am unsure of of how all the suspension parts go together.
yes.

Also, by pullling the rear foreward some, I won't be chaning the angle of my driveshaft and stressing it will it?
pulling the rear forward will push the driveshaft further inward into the transmission. 1/2" - 3/4" won't bother anything unless you car is lowered.

Also, how do I know that pulling the rear won't affect where the springs rest on the perches over the axel tubes? I don't want to pull the rear too far foreward and cause the springs to be off center.
not enough to matter.

Does anyone have and experiance with adjustable LCA's and have any insight to my questions and anything else that I have not yet considered?
have them on my car.

Is there a better way to pull the rear forward than using adjustable LCA's?
nope.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM

Awesome! Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM

check out sams school of automotive machinists camaro. they relocated the diff and it hooks like mad
Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Check the DS length. Hard to believe pushing it 3/4" deeper into the tranny tailshaft housing wouldn't eliminate most of the clearance. You shouldn't run less than 1/2" clearance on a "stockish" HP level, and more than that with higher HP.

What size tires are you trying to put in there? I've run 28.0" slicks and had to move the axle back 1/4" to keep them from hitting the front of the wheel openings when they grew at 125+ MPG trap speeds. Radials would not present the "growth" problem.

You indicate you have Metco boxed LCA's, so I assume you have poly bushings? Are you allowing for the fact that the poly will compress slightly under heavy acceleration load, and allow the axle to move forward?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Check the DS length. Hard to believe pushing it 3/4" deeper into the tranny tailshaft housing wouldn't eliminate most of the clearance. You shouldn't run less than 1/2" clearance on a "stockish" HP level, and more than that with higher HP.

What size tires are you trying to put in there? I've run 28.0" slicks and had to move the axle back 1/4" to keep them from hitting the front of the wheel openings when they grew at 125+ MPG trap speeds. Radials would not present the "growth" problem.

You indicate you have Metco boxed LCA's, so I assume you have poly bushings? Are you allowing for the fact that the poly will compress slightly under heavy acceleration load, and allow the axle to move forward?
Actually I think the DS is sticking a little too far back in the tranny housing. Right now I have a stock LT1 shaft. When I installed the 9" it actually pulled the DS farther back out of the housing than when it was stock. You can see the nice shiny metal where it stayed tucked in the housing, but is now exposed.

Right now I am running a 27x10.5x15 ET Street, but I'd like to upgrade to a 28x10.5x15 full drag slick. If I was to go out to my car with the ET Streets on it, I could take a ball point pen and wedge it in between the rear fender and the tire. On the front side of the tire I can almost fit 3 of my fingers in between the front fender and the tire. Perhaps I can put my ET Streets on the car tomorrow and take some pics.

Also, as far as the DS is concerned, I'm not worried about that. Once I get the rear all aligned properly and the correct tire size properly fitted on my car I will be ordering a Denny's N20 shaft custom fitted to my car.

Fred, does that help explain my plight a little more? I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly before I do anything at all.