Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Abs light error code 77/ Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Abs light error code 77/ Help!

Abs light error code 77 left front solenoid circuit shorted to ground.

I had a brake light and abs inop light on since I bought the car in February.

I bought a used ecbm and the brake light is no longer on, still have the abs light on.

I replaced both front wheel hubs with SKF wheel hubs and replaced the rear differential sensor.

I have removed and cleaned all ground wires and replaced my 3rd brake light bulbs. The bulbs were working fine but I installed new ones anyway.

Scanned the car with scan 94/95 and I’m getting readings from both wheel hubs along with the Error code 77.

Sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it does not.

I have cleared the abs error code with scan94/95 but it does not take long before the abs inop light comes back on again.

Could I possibly have a defective wheel hub?

I am running out of options and my last resort is to take it to a shop where they can use other tools to troubleshoot it.

I would appreciate it if you all can share any information or guidance on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by pestrada38; 07-18-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Re: Abs light error code 77/ Help!

Sorry! I’m still getting familiar with the forum. I should have posted this under brakes!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Do you have access to the factory service manual? If not, available for free download, courtesy of GaryDoug.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

I'll move the post for you. For future reference:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Do you have access to the factory service manual? If not, available for free download, courtesy of GaryDoug.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

I'll move the post for you. For future reference:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Thanks! After reviewing the service manuals It mentions to test (left front solenoid) Where is this located on the vehicle? See attachments.

Thanks,
Pest
Attached Thumbnails Abs light error code 77/ Help!-dtc-77-repair-solenoid.png   Abs light error code 77/ Help!-dtc-77.png   Abs light error code 77/ Help!-abs.png  

Last edited by pestrada38; 07-19-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Administrator

In the 94 manual, look at the cross-section, Figure 1 on page 5E1-3. The solenoids are the two round discs on top of the ABS modulating unit, with the blue/white electrical connectors.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:11 AM

Thanks! I’ll look into it and keep you posted if this resolves my problem.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanks again for the information on this. Now the problem, finding a new solenoid. I’ve troubleshooted the issue as per the service manual and now it’s asking to replace the solenoid. Auto parts stores don’t carry them. My only resolution is buying a used abs pump from a salvage yard and then remove the solenoid from the salvage yard unit. Once replacing the solenoid I would then need to bleed the abs pump as well. Another task that I’ll need to tackle. Ugh!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Update!

Well, I found a used Abs left front solenoid at a junk yard. Installed it and blead the abs pump. Then I cleared the abs inop light. Drove it for a while, then shorty there after surprise,!! the abs inop light came back on. Ran scan94/95 and same damn Dtc 77! Do I actually need to replace it with a new solenoid rather than a used one? Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by pestrada38; 07-29-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Updating last sentence
Old 07-29-2018, 09:26 PM
Administrator

I have no first-hand experience with that component. Only know what I read in the manual.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM

i had a similar issue with a monte carlo i have. same on and off abs light. replaced same parts you did- same result. light stillon. turned out to be the wiring harness to the wheel.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by 95LT4Z28
i had a similar issue with a monte carlo i have. same on and off abs light. replaced same parts you did- same result. light stillon. turned out to be the wiring harness to the wheel.
How did you determine it was the wiring harness to the wheel. What troubleshooting steps did you do? I replace the wiring harness to the wheel hub not too long ago as well. However, I did notice when I reversed the car for a good 10-25 feet the abs inop light goes away on the next ignition cycle.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 AM

Just a thought, have you look at or cleaned the ABS sensors? Sometimes rust/debris will block the magnet.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 AM

i inspected the wiring by hand looking for any soft or hard spots. when i pointed the harness down i noticed a little water came out of the covering. when i cut the covering back i found a spot that had a little muck. when i cleaned that off the wires seemed a little soft there and a little fat a little further up. after i replaced the harness i cut the old one open and found the wires started to rot in one spot and in the fat spot the wires were oxidized . at first it would only happen in the winter on cold days or highway drives. im assuming the water that was trapped in the covering would freeze preventing communication with the hub. i deleted the abs in my 95 so i have parts if you need -- -al
Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Administrator

When doing your trouble shooting for DTC 77, did you follow up on all 4 steps shown in the factory manual logic diagram (partial page shown in post #4)? Specifically, did you do the check on the resistance on EBCM harness connector terminal B1 to ground? Did you inspect the wiring and connectors between the EBCM and the solenoid? Did you see the bottom of the page where the logic diagram concludes "Replace EBCM"?

The other possible conclusion at the bottom of the logic diagram is that there is an intermittent problem, that may be covered in the "Diagnostic Aids" on the facing page (page 5E1-140), although part of that requires a Tech 1.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When doing your trouble shooting for DTC 77, did you follow up on all 4 steps shown in the factory manual logic diagram (partial page shown in post #4)? Specifically, did you do the check on the resistance on EBCM harness connector terminal B1 to ground? Did you inspect the wiring and connectors between the EBCM and the solenoid? Did you see the bottom of the page where the logic diagram concludes "Replace EBCM"?

The other possible conclusion at the bottom of the logic diagram is that there is an intermittent problem, that may be covered in the "Diagnostic Aids" on the facing page (page 5E1-140), although part of that requires a Tech 1.
Just for clarification, Do I check the resistance on the EBCM connector from the ABS pump or disconnect the EBCM connector from the EBCM module that is located underneath the driver side panel and check resistance there? Sorry but I am not incline in electrical diagrams nor electronic language or terms. It’s all foreign to me. I use google to break down the language for me and for interpretation. The service manual seems not very clear on this or it could just be me.

Quick Reply: Abs light error code 77/ Help!