Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS light and Brake light on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The "BRAKE" light comes on for two reasons - 1) to tell you the E-brake is engaged; 2) to tell you there is uneven pressure between the front and rear braking hydraulic lines. Once the "BRAKE" light is on due to uneven pressure, the "ABS INOP" light will come on because the brake system has been compromised be a difference in the front and rear pressures.

Could be an air bubble in one of the lines, could be a leak in one of the lines, could be a failing master cylinder, allowing leakage between the front and rear pistons in the master. Could be the pressure differential switch on the side of the ABS unit is "stuck". When the pressure switch gets stuck, sometime you can break it loose with a very hard stop. Just make sure you're in a parking lot where you won't hit something if you try a hard stop. Before you do that, check for leaks, and consider bleeding the brakes.

The "BRAKE" light is not connected to a fluid level switch, but if your fluid is low, you may get air in the system, turning on the light.

We actually have a forum for "Brakes"......

Well this is good to know. My ABS light has been on since I replaced my front shocks, and I had a feeling it had something to do with me having to remove the brake fluid container from the master cylinder. I guess I'll have to take some time and bleed my breaks now to see if any air got in the lines. I already replaced one speed sensor, and was planning on replacing the other one, but if this works it will give me 100 bucks to spend on something fun for the car.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Koby
Well this is good to know. My ABS light has been on since I replaced my front shocks, and I had a feeling it had something to do with me having to remove the brake fluid container from the master cylinder. I guess I'll have to take some time and bleed my breaks now to see if any air got in the lines.....
It isn't necessary to remove the master cylinder reservoir to change the front shocks. You just loosen the bolts that hold the MC to the vacuum booster, and push the MC gently to the side.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 AM

I love Camaros i dont have one yet but I do own a 03 Monte SS and the Track off, Brake light ,Service light , Traction Control and Abs light also come on.. its also happing to The Cavalier , GTP and now i hear Camaro.... so pretty much any gm car ......I'm on my way to see what the dealer has to say....i'm worried for all of us