Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

96 Z-28 Rear brakes weakness - fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 AM

96 Z-28 Rear brakes weakness - fixable?

I had the brakes checked more than once and I keep noticing the rear brakes are much less powerful than the front. They have bigger discs, same quality pads, nice clean calipers, and still they just don't grip as good.

I heard some friends with vettes and camaros that the factory made the brakes like that but that it's not really optimal at all, and that some spring in the proportioning valve can be replaced to give the rear proper braking power.

Have you guys heard of this? Is it actually a good upgrade to send more power to the rear brakes, and is this doable on my car? I do feel under hard braking while cornering even a little, the rear tends to get out of line very fast.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Administrator

The front brakes work harder because of the fact the weight is biased toward the front, and when you step on the brakes, additional weight transfers to the front. The fronts probably do 75-80% of the braking. If you try and force the rears to carry more of the load, your going to overwork your ABS system as the rear brakes start to lock up.

That said, the rear pads seem to wear faster than the front. I replaced the rear pads at 50K miles, and with 80K miles on the car, the fronts are still the original pads and only 1/2 used up.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:21 PM

So for our cars the brakes are fine as they are... Maybe if the car gets many suspension upgrades and is stiffer, then there's not as much weight transfer? And even then I guess the difference is small enough to not require modifications to the brake setup.

Thanks for the answer