Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

1996 z28 rear brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM

1996 z28 rear brake calipers

I bought a 1996 Z28 6 speed manual, used all stock except for PBR brake calipers and drilled & slotted brake rotors all the way around a couple weeks ago. The parking brake cable doesn't hold the car on even slight inclines, so I checked the brakes. Front brakes seem fine, good pad linings, etc. rear had low linings on pads so I tried replacing them. Driver's side rear went well. Passenger side not so good. I could not get the caliper's piston to go all the way back in the caliper and therefore could not get the new brake pads to fit enough for them to clear the rotor when reinstalling. So I put the pads from the driver's side rear in because they had more lining left. There seems to be a fixed pin that goes through the caliper (non adjusting it seems) that the parking brake lever rides against on the outside of the caliper that is keeping the piston from going all the way back on one side of the caliper, the front side.

My parking brake still doesn't work. It ratchets up but doesn't hold the car. And the old "inside" brake pad on the pass left side wore at an angle because of this pin pressing on the piston plate's "front" side. There is no clocking type of piston involved here, Why won't the caliper's piston go all the way back and how do you get it to? And the PBR red colored calipers seem a lot like stock ones from what I can tell. The OEM type replacement pads fit perfect in them. Any help or comments appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by 20021sc1sz; 07-22-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: wrong description of fixed pin in caliper
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 PM

Re: 1996 z28 rear brake calipers

Probably gunked up on the inside. Needs taken apart and cleaned up or maybe even replaced if badly corroded.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Administrator

The stock rear calipers are PBR aluminum single pistons. Pin is stuck. Sounds like it has been for a while, given the irregular wear on the pad.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Thanks Injuneer. So 96 z28s came stock with these PBR calipers all the way around? I saw these red calipers before I bought the car and thought they were replacement aftermarket ones for sure. Especially since all 4 rotors are drilled and slotted. Mine are bright red in color, very noticeable through the wheel openings.

I've never noticed red ones before and I once owned a 96 z28 automatic, never noticed it had these PBR calipers. Were they a RPO (OEM) option?

So if the pin is frozen like you say, can I put a c clamp on it to try and get it back further so new pads will fit? Or when it freezes, like it sure seems to be, does the caliper itself have to be replaced?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Pretty sure the rear PBR's were the units used on all the 3rd and 93-97 4th Gen disc brake F-Bodies. Not sure about 98-02. These are what came on my 94 Formula, except the fins have been ground down to clear 15" Weld drag wheels. The disc is an upgrade Baer unit.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/mem...ro-stars-6366/