South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

RIP: FHP officer -- used tree to cut z28 in half :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 05:55 PM

Re: RIP: FHP officer -- used tree to cut z28 in half :-(

Originally Posted by Dave C. '97 Z28
It's a shame the Police officer was killed.

That being said, had the trooper seen a civilian driving like he was driving (weaving in and out of traffic at over 100MPH, and passing on the emergency lanes), would he have arrested the guy? Yes.

The trooper shouldn't have pursued the guy. He should have radioed that he saw the guy, and let the Sheriff's office, city police departments, and whoever else help with apprehending the guy on the bike.

If a civilian risks the lives of others, they're an a-hole. If a police officer does it, he's just doing his job. The fact is that the officer was risking the lives of others trying hopelessly pursue a motorcycle doing 150. How the heck was he ever going to catch him? Sounds like very bad judgement on the officers part.

Should the guy on the bike be arrested? Yea...doing 150 through traffic is risking others lives and totally stupid. Should he be held for the death of the officer? Who knows, but the officer screwed up trying to pursue in that situation.

If you're going 51 in a 45 and an officer pulls out to give you a ticket and gets killed in an accident doing so, are you responsible for the death? Maybe, but I sure hope not.

I'm not going to post here about how hypocritical alot of officers are about traffic laws out of respect for the deceased.

-Dave C. '97 Z28
well put
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM

Just on the hopeless catching the bike thing, my roommate has an 04 R6 and as such I know several bikers and a few of them have been run down by FHP Camaros at speeds around 150. I even saw a chase that I later heard was up to 145 and the B4C was right in there. There are no city departments were they were, only VCSD who has 2 Jetrangers, but both were down for work (I can see them from my room and have a buddy that works on them). The whole reason the FHP has Camaros (and soon Mustangs) is to run down cars and bikes that the crown vics can't catch. Besides, I have people pass me on 95 South doing 110 plus all the time, at least the troopers has some training at those speeds...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Got-LT1
Just on the hopeless catching the bike thing, my roommate has an 04 R6 and as such I know several bikers and a few of them have been run down by FHP Camaros at speeds around 150. I even saw a chase that I later heard was up to 145 and the B4C was right in there. There are no city departments were they were, only VCSD who has 2 Jetrangers, but both were down for work (I can see them from my room and have a buddy that works on them). The whole reason the FHP has Camaros (and soon Mustangs) is to run down cars and bikes that the crown vics can't catch. Besides, I have people pass me on 95 South doing 110 plus all the time, at least the troopers has some training at those speeds...

600cc bikes top around 150, gsxr 750 can reach speeds of 172. but the 900 and 1000s are 180+.

After passing a law enforcement at tripple digits I can assure you that you will not run down a competent rider.

Its not worth the risk. Nine times out of ten the rider will only hurt himself.

In this case I dont think the officer even saw the suspect. He was dispatched to the call and the bike never was aware. How can they hold him liable?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:16 PM

150+ on stock suspension? Weaving in and out of traffic? A possible blown tire?

My guess is that he just lost the back end and blew the tire in the crash. But who knows? I do know that FHP should invest in some suspension mods if they encourage their officers to engage in high speed pursuits. In My SS it always felt like the back wheels were barely touching ground whenever I hit 120 in stock trim.

Either way he had lost contact (if there ever really was any) and should have recruited Motorola to pick him up down the road.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:01 PM

Bottom line is the troopers job was to go after him. Fast bike or not. Porshe or not.
Iam sure he was on the radio as soon as the pursuit was under way and had permission to give chase.
We give these officers cars that run that fast for a reason, we give them training to use them in a manner that is consistant with law enforcement.
We expect them to chase down and arrest bad guys. When something goes wrong we want to blame them? I dont get it.
I feel that every cop ought to have a Z28 and a MAC 10. Some feel like they sould have a tazer and a malibu.
The "witnesses" that called in about a trooper driving erraticly is just their opinion. You have no idea what thier mindset towards cops is.
I say hail to the trooper for doing what he could and the gallows to the person responcible for his death. The bike rider.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by High Strung
Bottom line is the troopers job was to go after him. Fast bike or not. Porshe or not.
Iam sure he was on the radio as soon as the pursuit was under way and had permission to give chase.
We give these officers cars that run that fast for a reason, we give them training to use them in a manner that is consistant with law enforcement.
We expect them to chase down and arrest bad guys. When something goes wrong we want to blame them? I dont get it.
I feel that every cop ought to have a Z28 and a MAC 10. Some feel like they sould have a tazer and a malibu.
The "witnesses" that called in about a trooper driving erraticly is just their opinion. You have no idea what thier mindset towards cops is.
I say hail to the trooper for doing what he could and the gallows to the person responcible for his death. The bike rider.
the biker is no more responsible for this trooper's death than general motors is responsible for making a car that responds poorly to a blown rear tire at 120mph or the tire maker is for the tire actually blowing out.

sorry, but the biker did a bad thing, but he should be treated NO DIFFERENTLY than anyone else who has been in this situation except without an officer losing his life.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:34 PM

But what he did lead to the troopers death. When you decide to street race you run the risk of being charged with anything that happens during that race, includeing what happens to law enforcement trying to effect an arrest.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

But what he did lead to the troopers death. When you decide to street race you run the risk of being charged with anything that happens during that race, includeing what happens to law enforcement trying to effect an arrest.
absolutly not

what he did was illegal. yes.

however, what he did wasn't the direct cause of the trooper's death. the trooper died due to a tire seperation, not because of the biker. if it didn't blow that day it most likely would have sooner or later.

if he had seen a vehicle with no tag or loud exhaust and took after him and the tire blew causing him to go sideways into a tree and die, should we hang that driver?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:25 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Tag could have been stolen or fell off without the driver knowing.
Loud exhaust is not endangering other drivers.
Speeding or racing over a hundred miles an hour is a consious decision by the bike rider. He knew how fast he was going. It wasnt just a few miles over the limit. It was close to two times the limit. That shows intent. He knew that if he was clocked by a cop there would be a chase.
Neither of us are tire engineers, so what ever happened to that tire is still up in the air. FHP maintenance would probably changed that tire before it blew. I think he ran over something. Which is not far fetched with all the debirs on the road from the storm.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

Maybe, maybe not. Tag could have been stolen or fell off without the driver knowing.
Loud exhaust is not endangering other drivers.
Speeding or racing over a hundred miles an hour is a consious decision by the bike rider. He knew how fast he was going. It wasnt just a few miles over the limit. It was close to two times the limit. That shows intent. He knew that if he was clocked by a cop there would be a chase.
Neither of us are tire engineers, so what ever happened to that tire is still up in the air. FHP maintenance would probably changed that tire before it blew. I think he ran over something. Which is not far fetched with all the debirs on the road from the storm.
i agree, neither of us know any of the hard detailed facts related to the tire seperation, and most likely never will.

however, the fact that this trooper died in persuit should NEVER be brought up during this guy's day in court. this guy should not have any special treatment, he should be prosecuted the same as other people are charged with the same charges.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Well my friend, well will have to agree to disagree and let the courts decide.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Banned

Well my friend, well will have to agree to disagree and let the courts decide.
i agree

all in all though, truly sad situation ...
Old 11-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Just an update, motorcyclist has been charged in the trooper's death:

FHP Trooper
Old 11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Banned

not that i don't think what this guy did was wrong and bad, but i sure as hell hope he is judged not guilty.

Last edited by anasazi; 11-02-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:35 PM

I'm sure many people here have been over the speed limit for some reason or another. Can you imagine being at a gas station later and suddenly getting arrested, put in jail for a month with no bail, and finally charged with a murder you knew nothing about?

Quick Reply: RIP: FHP officer -- used tree to cut z28 in half :-(