South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

Paging: MustangEater82

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 12:34 AM

Paging: MustangEater82

Hey Eric, got a question for ya.

Tommorrow (Wed) we're going to look at a 94 Firebird for my brother. Are there any common problems with the 3.4L I should be on the lookout for.

I know you keep talking about the EGR valve being a problem but is there anyway to check that aside from an SES light?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:01 PM

hey sorry for the wait...

Big thing to worry about is they are slooow.

The EGR thing is a problem but nothing too to serious, not as bad as the opti on lt1s.

Other then that I can say its a pretty reliable car.

I would check the pinion seal, on the diffy see if it has a leak, seems my driveshaft went out of balance and caused problems with the pinion seal(I have a new from dealership for sale if needed)

If he does get it I woudl slap on a lt1 driveshaft to avoid most the rear end problems I had do to swing bearing going out on my stock 2 piece driveshaft(and its a mod, lighter driveshaft)

My ignition lock cylinder crapped out but that is a semi uncommon problem and all f-bodies have it.

The motor is pretty reliable, I think its rated by consumer guides the only Used f-bodies that are acceptable to get.

Only other things that I cna think of that are wierd are alternators but that is a GM problem, I seem to go through one every 3 or so years. many people have lasted 170k with no problems on their car.

My main problems are all drivetrain(driving habits) related the EGR is a bit of a fluke with my busted bolts, but the car is still driveable with a bad EGR, just hurts fel mpg, if he needs to save up for a new one.

Only thing I can warn is the T5 doesn't really like to be beat on.

BTW
[knock on wood]I have never had this car towed[knock on wood

some facts...

-All 3.4L do not have 4 wheel disc(unless converted like mine)
-A4 or M5 they will have 3.23s and an open diffy
Old 05-29-2003, 12:23 AM

Thanks for all the info Eric!

We checked it out today and it had been beat to hell and back. It had taken a pretty decent hit to the rear the seller conveniently forgot to mention. After I saw that I didn't even bother to drive it, or even look at the front of the car.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:30 AM

Another thing about the reliability if he does keep looking at 3.4Ls is the motor is strong, mine has taking a beating I think no other little 3.4L has ever taken and all runs fine, and gets good numbers still.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:19 AM

Right now we're looking at a Saturn since there were no other 4th gen F-bodies in that price range. Just as well IMO, its his first car so he's going to tear it up regardless so I'd rather it be a Saturn and not something I like.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:08 AM

What price range were you looking at Soma? My '94 is for sale for fairly cheap.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:51 PM

Not really sure as I'm not the one who will be paying for it. At this point he is pretty excited about getting this Saturn so I don't think he's intrested in an F-body anymore...

Sorry
Old 05-29-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Soma07
Right now we're looking at a Saturn since there were no other 4th gen F-bodies in that price range. Just as well IMO, its his first car so he's going to tear it up regardless so I'd rather it be a Saturn and not something I like.
yeah what pricerange...

I know of a 3.4L with 126k rebuilt trany w/ paperwork, semi new clutch w/paperwork, couple goodies, yet above and beyond streetable since motor is 100% stock, just a relatively quiet catback and intake(have stock intake if needed), that might be for sale depending on some talks with my father and an asking price.

Drivetrain is great, since everything has been replaced, and I will not B.S. any questions you have about the car, might keep my 1le sways, and STB.

And do not worry you will not hurt my feelings if you feel "uncomfortable" about buying my car knowing the history.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:54 PM

damn...

I was even willing to tell you the things abotu my car not on Carfax reports.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Soma07
Not really sure as I'm not the one who will be paying for it. At this point he is pretty excited about getting this Saturn so I don't think he's intrested in an F-body anymore...

Sorry
I couldnt imagine being excited about a Saturn.