South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

MSCC February autocross event

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 07:54 PM

I think some terms are being lost in the translation. When I read "mounting a 16" tire on 17" wheel", I'm inferring those numbers as the interior mounting diameter of the tire. Some would also use diameter to express tire height.

I would not want to be the person trying to mount (for instance) a 245/40/16 tire on a 17" wheel/rim. Consequently I would not want to be in the car if someone mounted a 17" rim on a 16" tire.

Those Radial TA's must've had a really rounded shoulder. The only schooling I've been receiving recently is courtesy of Chuck...all last year!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:36 PM

I wish somebody would tell me that they had a 16" tire on a 17" rim. I would have fun with that Bozo. When my current street tires were mounted, they had a heck of a time getting the bead to pop out to the edge of the rim because they were so tight. Take another 1/8th of an inch out of the bead diameter and they would not have popped out. Some crazy person may have actually got a tire to stretch onto the rim (doubtful) but it would have never sealed properly.

BTW - they do have 16" ZR1 wheels. I think they were 16X8's.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 PM

Eric: Have you ever mounted a wheel on a tire? Its harder than it looks even when you have the right sized wheels & tires. Performance tires are alot stiffer than you would think even with no air in them.

My dad and I could barely get my old 245/50/16's on stock wheels with the machine he had. If the sidewalls been any stiffer it wouldn't have happened at all.

My point is there is no way you'd get a 16" tire on a 17" rim, safely or otherwise
Old 02-03-2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
BTW - they do have 16" ZR1 wheels. I think they were 16X8's.
yeah I have seen them almost bought a set...

but I swear these were near same diameter rim, maybe I was jsut fooled, and he had a 16X8 in the rear and a 17X9.5 in the front...
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 PM

I think I am definitely going to the event this SUNDAY!! I getting my DAD to go also with his Z51 FRC vette....

I doubt he will run it though...

I guess I should get there before 9? Right Chuck?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 PM

The monthly events in Tavares seem to be having the drivers meetings around 10AM. I'd try to get there by 8-8:30 so you're not rushed to register, tech, adjust air pressure, walk the course a few times, and still have time to make the meeting. After the meeting they usually have a novice walk/drive-through with an instructor.

You might have time to eat breakfast at the Pink Pig too! They have hot food and cold drinks. If you have a different taste, you can bring your own cooler & food (no booze ). Bring portable chairs if you have them, sunscreen, and an umbrella for shade/rain. Leave with a big grin on your face

We usually have fun runs after competition. If your Dad will sign a waiver, he can ride along with another driver who competed earlier in the day. Passengers during competition runs are limited to those registered as instructors. There will be at least one autocross national champion at this Sunday's event.

It's a good time to attend! Chuck, Jeff, Jason, William and myself are usually caught under his blue canopy.

Chuck: Bring lots of film and batteries!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:47 PM

I would definately be there before 9:00. That way you can get registered, go through tech, show your dad the ropes, walk the course a bunch of times and do all of the other stuff we do before we gert started. I don't like getting there later than 8:00 myself. But definately don't get there after 9:00.

Glad to see you're gonna make it back out again.

BTW - You might not see as much of me around the big blue tarp this weekend. I'll be the event coordinator so I might have to be around the trailer a lot more. Just wanted to let you know in case anybody should think I was avoiding them.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:35 PM

SO who is going?

I am their for sure.. hopefull don't get lost

List...

2002z28SSconv
Jeff94ta
JimMueller
Soma07
and possibly SS holley
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 PM

SWEET! thanks for the tips...I will see you guys in the morning.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Banned

hey ya'll, how do you protect your paint from the cones?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by S. Holley
SWEET! thanks for the tips...I will see you guys in the morning.

This is what I try to do...

#1 - Don't hit them. (Yeah right, anyway...)
#2 - Have an orange car. (hmmmm)
#3 - Fresh wax on the the lower half of the nose and doors.

Honestly, you would not believe the amount of cones I've hit if you were looking for evidence on the car. The cones are soft enough that it usually just leaves a thin film. It might look worse at first but it just rubs right off.

In short, don't worry about the cones that much. I've seen pictures where guys say they ran over a cone driving on the street and it ripped the front bumper. Then I think to myself, I've hit 2 cones side by side doing over 45 and had a scuff to rub off.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:03 AM

PS if anyone gets lost call my cell (407)718-3266
Old 02-08-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by anasazi
hey ya'll, how do you protect your paint from the cones?
Don't be a wuss!

Actually I have never had a problem once hitting cones... granted int eh new car I haven't clipped too many maybe 6 or so in the last 2 events, but my 3.4L damn I took out alot in that thing, I never had to rub any marks out cuz they never left any marks.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:10 PM

BTW Chuck and Jason... I have some pics of your cars on the track some of them came out pretty sweet... during the event I went to check how much memory was used on the memory card so I looked in the format card option, and I managed to accidently format the card and erase alot of pics, had some of Jim, Jeff, and Sam Strano.... and your brother Jason...

ohh well...

Problem is they are a decent quality, and too big for my free website to let me upload them...

I just uploaded 2 pics to my cardomain site(in my sig) if you want an idea of the quality.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:14 PM

BTW Chuck and Jason... I have some pics of your cars on the track some of them came out pretty sweet... during the event I went to check how much memory was used on the memory card so I looked in the format card option, and I managed to accidently format the card and erase alot of pics, had some of Jim, Jeff, and Sam Strano.... and your brother Jason...

ohh well... I had a blast....

Problem is they are a decent quality, and too big for my free website to let me upload them...

I just uploaded 2 pics to my cardomain site(in my sig) if you want an idea of the quality.

As for the autocross, I still need more seat time... and practice, I ended up in the middle, of my class, not last but not first... Its scary 1st in Gs, and GP were both 52 second runs... my best was a 57.024... I should of shaved a second off that taht form some big simple mistakes I made but, don't think I even had a chance of winning...

Oddly enough Sam gave me 2 tips that made my run seel alot alot smoother during my fun run then my regular runs but I did not really get any faster. Course I was being a little conservative, I didn't wanna have to go back and fix some cones, it was too freaking cold

...and this is the 2nd MSCC event where my jumper cables have prevented someone from getting stranded.

Quick Reply: MSCC February autocross event